The other games today 2019/20

Greg

Making those East Germans look like a right bunch of no-mark cunts. Be canny if you lads get games in St. Petersburg in the finals, will be like a home game (assuming you're not playing the Russians)

There are so many weak sides in Europe though. Easier to score boatloads of goals against Lithuania, Latvia, Luxembourg, Andorra etc than it is against the weaker sides in other confederations.

Not sure about that like. :lol:

There are so many weak sides in Europe though. Easier to score boatloads of goals against Lithuania, Latvia, Luxembourg, Andorra etc than it is against the weaker sides in other confederations.

Probably only true about South America where you don't get real minnows to play and even the weaker sides require playing matches in stupid altitude.

I'd put the likes of Luxembourg and Andorra as quite comfortably stronger than Asian minnows. Iran beat the Maldives 13-0 in September.

Oceania would like to say hi, and Asia is packed with junk as well.

Probably only true about South America where you don't get real minnows to play and even the weaker sides require playing matches in stupid altitude.

I'd put the likes of Luxembourg and Andorra as quite comfortably stronger than Asian minnows. Iran beat the Maldives 13-0 in September.

Kuwait beat Chinese Taipei 9-0 tonight. :laugh:

The only thing that could be maybe said is that in Europe you generally get more games against said minnows, through the nature of regular qualifying for Euros and WC completed through a single group stage for each competition. In Asia and CONCACAF there is more preliminary rounds to eliminate smaller nations, and they merge their WC and Continental Competition qualifying together.

However the latter systems are usually pretty terrible for the smaller nations' development. Doesn't give them regular games against decent sides and results in players not even bothering to go and play for their national teams (see somebody like Leverkusen's Leon Bailey trying his best to not play for Jamaica). For all the whinging about 'pointless' qualifiers there's no doubt that being able to play regular games against a wide range of quality sides is great for smaller nation's development, and in part why even the likes of Iceland have been able to have success.

I dare say there's reasons to the contrary, but that's why I reckon the creation of the Nations League is a rare positive decision from one of the major governing bodies. Sides like Luxembourg can still face big sides in the main qualifiers (presumably there is some value in those hammerings) - but they also have an opportunity to motivate themselves for meaningful encounters against sides they're comparable to. I bet a Nations League tie contributes more to their development than a battering off Germany or some dead rubber contest against another bruised minnow.

I was under the impression that they have play-offs in the WC qualifications in both Asia and Oceania, so that the best sides seldom play the weakest sides, but I see now that Japan, Korea etc is already involved in the second round of that play-off.

I'll admit to primarily thinking of South America, for which my point is definitely true. The weakest team in the last qualification was Venezuela, and they would wipe the floor with Lithuania, Estonia, Andorra etc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salomón_Rondón

Thought I’d look to see where his goals come against for Venezuela. 11 of his 27 international goals are against other South American teams, the other 16 against El Salvador, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Moldova, Panama, USA & Trinidad & Tobago. Does make you wonder how many more he’d have scored at international level on a weaker continent mind.