Ciaran Clark (now a free agent)

Foluwashola

I know he's a CB so would be harsh to judge him on the performance last night, but has reached Simpson-esque levels of annoyance for me now. Just feel like every time he gets the ball at best he'll flick an aimless ball forward to no-one in particular. And positionally he just seems so weak. And that's when he's in his strongest position. 

Lejuene such a massive loss given Clark will now likely play 20+ games this season.

I had thought RB was a bigger priority because Dummet covered by Clark on the left. But Clark can't be considered a back-up LB at all, evidenced against Forest (not for the first time, but he was really bad). That tells me that maybe LB is a bigger priority - get a starter and bin Clark.

:yao:

Makes you appreciate how decent Mbemba was at LB after watching Clark

I know, makes you think Rafa probably wanted to spend the Mbema money on an actual left back or right back. :(

• 2 months later...

Won't get the plaudits like Schar and Fernandez but thought he had a very good and solid game today.

Agreed, thought he'd struggle against Lennon but it never materialised. I've always liked Clark mind, think he's a good, steady player.

Think he should have done better for the goal but he's an alright player. Any other time in our recent history he's probably a starter, he just happens to be around at a strong time for Newcastle centre backs to the point he's 5th choice

More goal threat as a CB than we've seen in many a year. With the right kind of ball-playing CBs around him he's solid and reliable. A bit like Williamson on one of his really good days, just way more consistent.

He was massively at fault for the goal but he looked a lot calmer than normal. Playing for 0-0s for Ireland has probably helped n all.

Hasn’t played for us lately, which no doubt helped his form

Just assumed, get him in there again.