Peter Beardsley

biggs

without wanting to be (too much) of an apologist for Beardsley, the club did f*** him off to Carlisle first.

he was at newcastle before he went to carlisle?

"However, he was released as a teenager by hometown club Newcastle United and began his professional career with Carlisle United in 1978."

Wiki, admittedly.

without wanting to be (too much) of an apologist for Beardsley, the club did f*** him off to Carlisle first.

he was at newcastle before he went to carlisle?

"However, he was released as a teenager by hometown club Newcastle United and began his professional career with Carlisle United in 1978."

Wiki, admittedly.

aye, just had a look, wasnt aware of that tbh.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

It was reported when the allegations were made that he said something along the lines of 'hurry up, your lot should be good at this' when at a climbing frame at Go Ape. Apparently he said he meant sportsmen rather than stereotyping anyones race. Not sure if the FA charge relates to the same thing

It was reported when the allegations were made that he said something along the lines of 'hurry up, your lot should be good at this' when at a climbing frame at Go Ape. Apparently he said he meant sportsmen rather than stereotyping anyones race. Not sure if the FA charge relates to the same thing

Ummm… if that's true, he's in trouble.

He’s not the sharpest tool in the box, that’s not an excuse for crass jokes (we don’t know how he’s said these things). The club need to get staff on some courses as there’s no doubt that Beardsley’s whole career was littered with far worse comments and I’d imagine that his people skills aren’t the greatest.

Still

really doesnt show charnley or the club in a good light.

hope there hasnt been a cover up.

Do we know what he’s meant to of said that was wrong yet?

Was wondering that myself, no point in bandwagon jumping until we can see the whole picture.

Still

really doesnt show charnley or the club in a good light.

hope there hasnt been a cover up.

Do we know what he’s meant to of said that was wrong yet?

Was wondering that myself, no point in bandwagon jumping until we can see the whole picture.

The FA have seen the whole picture and deemed him to have been in the wrong. That'll do for me.

Guest firetotheworks

If you think Disco's shtick on here is unfounded, I urge you to read the Chronicle's FB comments on their main article about this. Delightful stuff.

Where hope goes to die. I hate myself whenever I read that shit.

Beardsley > Gazza

They were totally different players in the way that they played and I can see an argument for both being the better players.  Gazza was and still is the best player that I've seen at his age when he played for us.  Both players were world class and would probably have been higher rater over here by most people if they were foreign.

Respectively disagree. Gazza's highlight real is the same handful of moments repeated. Even his movie was the same action over and over again. With Beardsley you literally could pick every game he played and there would be a great goal or great assist or just a touch of class mid game.

Gazza's flame burnt bright no doubt but short.

I respect your respectfulness, but that's mighty harsh on Gazza. He was outstanding in numerous NUFC games which there is no video of (mad as that seems now). Best example is Chelsea at home early in 88, when he ran them absolutely ragged and scored the best goal I've ever seen live.

But there was also stuff from his first couple.

of seasons that regularly took the breath away, especially considering the midfielders he had around him.

Over a prolonged and significant period of time, Beardsley is the greatest player I have witnessed playing for us.

Others have performed as well over a shorter time span, but for longevity he is the best for me.

If he was around today, he would be compared to Messi as one of the greatest. It seems his managerial career is blighted by outdated opinions and offensive comments which are completely out of order and deserves to be punished (NUFC should have taken action much, much earlier and are just as much to blame as Beardsley) but he was, without any doubt, one of the greatest of his generation and I was privileged to see him play and destroy opposition  teams. The Beardsley shuffle? True genius, in his playing days. Not so good now.

If you think Disco's shtick on here is unfounded, I urge you to read the Chronicle's FB comments on their main article about this. Delightful stuff.

This just makes me pure sad though. I played as him in World Cup doubles and now he’s not only a stooge of shit regime which you can half forgive but he’s very much likely a daft old bigot.

He was before my time unfortunately but watching some of Beardsley's stuff, it's ridiculous at times, honestly looks like Messi.

That one away at Spurs in the blue kit is fucking mint.

I was at that game - he was just sublime - on the same wavelength as Messi for sure.

Aye, there aren’t many players that can dribble past people and simultaneously see team mates making runs and small spaces opening up like Messi.  Beardsley was definitely one of them.  It saddens me to see his name dragged through the mud like this.  I’m not saying he’s innocent BTW.

The FA have seen the whole picture and deemed him to have been in the wrong. That'll do for me.

As far as I am currently aware the opposite is true. The FA don't know what happened due to non-disclosure (or unsatisfactory disclosure) from the club. So by charging him they can look into it themselves. No?

As far as I am currently aware the opposite is true. The FA don't know what happened due to non-disclosure (or unsatisfactory disclosure) from the club. So by charging him they can look into it themselves. No?

Surely you can't just charge someone (and make it public knowledge) will nilly?

Guest neesy111

The FA can't charge someone without evidence.

This just makes me pure sad though. I played as him in World Cup doubles and now he’s not only a stooge of shit regime which you can half forgive but he’s very much likely a daft old bigot.

I've no idea how old you are Disco but the world has certainly changed in my lifetime, mostly in the last decade or so and, it seems, at an accelerated pace of late. Its difficult to imagine Beardsley as a bigot considering the wide number of clubs and players he has played with and never a hint of inappropriate behaviour prior to this.

There used to be a time people knew when something was said in jest and when it was more nasty. The politically correct world that surrounds us today is bordering on insanity compared to the world I mostly grew up in. I was just listening to a Dean Martin clip last night where he is referring to Sinatra as the 'Dago' and someone else as the 'Jew', everyone was laughing, including the 'Dago' and the 'Jew', because everyone knew Martin wasn't being serious or disparaging.

We know playing the 'race card' is an easy thing to do these days but we don't know anything about the youth player that has complained, his character etc. How would you prove the alleged "You lot should be good at this." comment was racial rather than a sports related comment. Only Beardsley knows and unless it comes out there has been a history of inapprpriate comments I'll be reserving judgement.