Aston Villa 2-0 Newcastle United - 25/11/19 - post match from p18

Disco

Judge me for saying this but

I'd start Gayle / Carroll next game

Based on what ffs

I've literally responded to that earlier. Gayle as shit as he is has a goal in him on the odd occasion and some sort of pace, Joelinton does not. You can't tell me he deserves to start the next game and this isn't to do with how less shit Gayle could be, but Joelinton does not warrant a start based on current form.

Others have been dropped for less so far this year and he needs benched. Man it could and most likely would be fucking AIDS either way but fuck me Almiron and Joelinton are not offering any sort of goal threat in the box. It's not like City is a must win sort of game anyway.

We've got no subtlety to our play whatsoever. Grealish ran the show, we don't have anyone anywhere near his quality.

I think we do though. He’s just criminally misused and out of form.

Almiron does everything at 100mph, just like the rest of the team. It's all incredibly frantic. Grealish knows when to change the tempo

Yep, coached better and more experience in the country.

I'm not sure it's coaching and experience. I think they've very different in their approach to the game. Even if both on form, I don't think they'd be all that comparable. Almiron relies on athleticism and desire to get and create changes, whereas Grealish is much more calculated, drawing players in and playing intricate passes. He's very good. As is Almiron, just not at present unfortunately.

Yeah I wouldn’t compare them like for like, but I just don’t agree that we haven’t got the quality to hurt teams like villa hurt us tonight.

Agreed, I believe we have got the quality. We've seen it the past month or so. Many promising signs, hoping there's more to come going into the Christmas period despite a blip tonight.

Guest godzilla

Big fan of grealish btw. Seems a nicer bloke than he appears on the pitch.

Edit; reckon he’s in with a decent shout of getting in the England squad soon. I’d prefer Foden though.

Thought he was totally overrated a couple of year ago, but he has certainly got that bit of class about him and a very intelligent player to boot. He will be with one of the so called top 6 clubs very soon I think (possibly Chelsea or Man Utd)

I’d love to see Gayle and Carroll against Man City. Show the world what we’ve been missing.

Yeah bit like Quinn and Phillips, no not a mackem here either!

BUT Gayle and Carroll against Man City is better than what it is now, most of our goals have come from defenders!

Rafa rated JoeL at 20 mill, not 40 million we payed for him, I'd would give you 5 million!

Poor showing maybe a blip but as a mid-league team (hopefully) today's result is not surprising!

Since we beat them 2-0 in February '17:

Still at Villa: Lansbury, Hourihane, Grealish. Two of which started the last game. Manager: Bruce.

Still at Newcastle: Yedlin, Clark, Dummett, Hayden, Shelvey, Atsu, Gayle, Darlow. Six of which started the last game. Manager: Rafa.

Five windows on and we're still playing with half our Championship team and we've massively downgraded coaching staff. Villa, meanwhile, have invested hugely in their squad and have significantly upgraded their coaching staff.

We knew this was coming. For a while we could laugh at them as they floundered from one disaster to the next, barely in business, with our very own excuse of a football manager in their dugout. But we knew tonight was coming: this ex-joke-of-an-opponent overtaking us. Although it's only one result, tonight is as sorry an indictment as any of the Ashley era. Any supporter still investing in this PIECE OF SHIT EXCUSE FOR A CLUB wants throwing in the fucking sea. I wish people would get a fucking grip and open their eyes to what's happening: a wanker in the dugout; agent-favours and Championship workhorses on the pitch; a sporting institution that doesn't care about sport; a product that laughs at its customers.

Yet we're still engaging in futile conversation about how X-winger needs to improve his end product, or what the formation should be, or that we should work on set pieces. I'm not having a dig at anyone, I'm guilty too. What a waste of time.

Folks around me can't seem to wrap their heads around the notion of me not supporting Newcastle any more. What's unfathomable to me is why it's not totally frigging obvious.

Fuck it all.

Still at Villa: Lansbury, Hourihane, Grealish. Two of which started the last game. Manager: Bruce.

Still at Newcastle: Yedlin, Clark, Dummett, Hayden, Shelvey, Atsu, Gayle, Darlow. Six of which started the last game. Manager: Rafa.

Five windows on and we're still playing with half our Championship team and we've massively downgraded coaching staff. Villa, meanwhile, have invested hugely in their squad and have significantly upgraded their coaching staff.

We knew this was coming. For a while we could laugh at them as they floundered from one disaster to the next, barely in business, with our very own excuse of a football manager in their dugout. But we knew tonight was coming: this ex-joke-of-an-opponent overtaking us. Although it's only one result, tonight is as sorry an indictment as any of the Ashley era. Any supporter still investing in this PIECE OF SHIT EXCUSE FOR A CLUB wants throwing in the fucking sea. I wish people would get a fucking grip and open their eyes to what's happening: a wanker in the dugout; agent-favours and Championship workhorses on the pitch; a sporting institution that doesn't care about sport; a product that laughs at its customers.

Yet we're still engaging in futile conversation about what so-and-so need to do to improve, or what the formation should be, or that we should work on set pieces. I'm not having a dig at anyone, I'm guilty too. What a waste of time.

Folks around me can't seem to wrap their heads around the notion of me not supporting Newcastle any more. What's unfathomable to me is why it's not totally frigging obvious.

Fuck it all.

:clap:

Yet we're still engaging in futile conversation about how X-winger need to improve his end product, or what the formation should be, or that we should work on set pieces. I'm not having a dig at anyone, I'm guilty too. What a waste of time.

Fuck it all.

I feel you bro. Spot on.

Bruce has no tactics other than to limp it forward for Joelinton. That tactic is our downfall, and his plan B option is to change Joelinton for Carroll, or today, have them both on and still limp the ball up for him.

Shelvey being in the middle is ruining our midfield. It leads to having no central support for attacks, and no central support for defending. Had we had Matty Longstaff there tonight instead of Shelvey, we would not have been beaten. Instead we had Shelvey which pretty much allowed for Grealish to have the whole of midfield to himself. How can a manager who a year ago managed Grealish not see that those tactics tonight would be a disaster?

That first goal conceded from nothing by Yedlin :lol:

I'd almost forgot what a liability he can be defensively. Lost us the game right there from a positon of absolutely no threat before his brain fart.

The lack of pressing as a team has been ridiculous this season.  Rafa had Diame/Longstaff/ Hayden all pressing together as a team. Joelinton tries to close down defenders looks around and there's no one else trying to press.

There was a 5 minute spell in the 2nd half where Shelvey started pressing higher and we forced mistakes but obviously Shelvey can only do that briefly before he's blowing out of his arse