Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Guest reefatoon

Aye that was a daft reply like. Creative or not, as a central midfielder you have to be able to still tackle/break up play. You don’t get a pass if you are classed as the creative one.

Thought he was very good defensively. Mixed success with his passing but he did his job.

Thought Hayden was very poor next to him.

He hardly put a fucking tackle in , time and time again he let his man drift past him.Sorry but he  is utter shite .

Is this really what it’s come to, judging a creative midfielder on how many tackles he made. Fuck me, the game really is dead. Might as well judge our CBs on how many marauding runs they made down the wings and then call them shite when the answer is zero. Lazy shite bastards!

So you think it’s ok to just let them waltz passed you? Which he did, and didn’t track the runner, you think it’s ok to be a lazy cunt ?

You know what, if he’s going to continue being our only creative player in the middle and keeps making as many chances as he did today, I’ll let him off. I’d love a player that did the dirty work and was as creative as Shelvey but the likelihood of us spending £50m to get one is pretty slim.

No coincidence that he’s played the last 2 games and we’ve won them both!

Thought he was very good defensively. Mixed success with his passing but he did his job.

He hardly put a fucking tackle in , time and time again he let his man drift past him.Sorry but he  is utter shite .

Is this really what it’s come to, judging a creative midfielder on how many tackles he made. Fuck me, the game really is dead. Might as well judge our CBs on how many marauding runs they made down the wings and then call them shite when the answer is zero. Lazy shite bastards!

It's not the 1970s any more mate, players are a lot fitter and faster. You can't have central midfielders who stroll about and  don't close the opposition down.

That said, we sit quite deep so we can get away with it more than most. No doubting Shelvey's quality on the ball, but he's usually shit when we don't have it...which is 70% of the time usually.

It's not the 1970s any more mate, players are a lot fitter and faster. You can't have central midfielders who stroll about and  don't close the opposition down.

That said, we sit quite deep so we can get away with it more than most. No doubting Shelvey's quality on the ball, but he's usually shit when we don't have it...which is 70% of the time usually.

I get that, but take him out of the team and we’re 100% shitter going forward. If we’re going to win games we need creativity in the middle, not just workhorses. For me he should be the first name on the team sheet and we find a way to work around his deficiencies. We’re just so much less potent with him sitting on the bench. As I said in my previous post, since he’s been back in the side we’ve won both games.

I get that, but take him out of the team and we’re 100% shitter going forward. If we’re going to win games we need creativity in the middle, not just workhorses. For me he should be the first name on the team sheet and we find a way to work around his deficiencies. We’re just so much less potent with him sitting on the bench. As I said in my previous post, since he’s been back in the side we’ve won both games.

When Schar’s out of the team I think he’s more important. Fernandez & Clark are decent on the ball but you don’t see them playing the passes that Schar or Lejeune would. I’d keep him in until he’s back but this system with two ball playing centre-backs certainly can produce good football even with two grafters in the middle. It worked absolutely fine last third of last season.

When Schar’s out of the team I think he’s more important. Fernandez & Clark are decent on the ball but you don’t see them playing the passes that Schar or Lejeune would. I’d keep him in until he’s back but this system with two ball playing centre-backs certainly can produce good football even with two grafters in the middle. It worked absolutely fine last third of last season.

You have to remember though, that was under a literal tactical genius. Credit to Bruce because it is due but there’s no doubt everything is a lot simpler, less orchestrated and less complicated under him than Rafa. My worry would be how Bruce would try to work the ball forward from the back, we’d likely end up just banging it long to Joelinton and hope there were players around him. When it comes from the midfield the likes of Almiron and St Maximim are naturally further forward and our attacks are therefore, more dangerous.

Still think it can work. With Schar you’ve got 6 creative players if you include the wing-backs and front three. Throw in Lejeune when he’s back too then you’ve got 7, and the need for Shelvey diminishes even further as you genuinely do need two disciplined players in the centre.

• 3 weeks later...

Terrible player, nowhere near mobile enough to be a premier league centre midfielder. Players just run past him at will while he plods around pointing out other players not picking up his man. When he does get on the ball he either passes it back and stands still or he try’s to ping it 50 yards to a player with no support or straight off the pitch. Should be nowhere near the team and our cretin of a manager gives him the armband, that alone shows just how poor Bruce’s knowledge of the modern day premier league is.

Terrible player, nowhere near mobile enough to be a premier league centre midfielder. Players just run past him at will while he plods around pointing out other players not picking up his man. When he does get on the ball he either passes it back and stands still or he try’s to ping it 50 yards to a player with no support or straight off the pitch. Should be nowhere near the team and our cretin of a manager gives him the armband, that alone shows just how poor Bruce’s knowledge of the modern day premier league is.

Pretty sure he was captain under Rafa at times too.

Guest neesy111

The Shelvey cycle is one of the most boring ones ever. :lol:

s*** and lazy, f*** him off forever > Clearly talented, has vital attributes, should be in the team > s*** and lazy, f*** him off forever > etc

Another great reason to sell him.