Jetro Willems (now playing for Heracles)

Newcastle Fan

Guest Howaythetoon

I don’t want to take anything away from what looked a cracking goal from the lad which he manufactured on his own using his skill and was fully deserving to see it hit the back of the net. But the keeper stretching his dive to reach the shot leading with his right arm and not his left instead was a mistake and an example of poor goalkeeping IMO. Their number 1 would have tipped it around for a corner I’m sure. Or maybe not...

The goal is clouding judgement for me like. He does well to engineer the space for the shot, defender should have been tighter and not shown him inside from such a position. I don't know enough about goalkeeping but suspect HTT is correct, whilst maybe being harsh as it was very snap-shot.

Willem misplaced numerous passes throughout from the edge of our third. It caused unnecessary pressure and whilst that was a common theme throughout the squad it also doesn't mean he was exempt cause he scored a half decent goal.

Defensively looks fairly solid, good tackler, needs more time to bed in I think. Certainly looks a long shot more ready than Krafth.

Pet hate: People going on about the use of his weak foot in this instance. He's had one intention and that was to engineer a shot on goal, he achieved it and achieved it well. Any player at Premier League level should be hitting the target from there. That's not to say it wasn't a good goal, it was just good for his creativity to make and take the chance, not to hit it with his wrong foot.

He was nowhere near as effective as Ritchie today from a more wholeistic point of view but nor would I expect him to be.

The goal is clouding judgement for me like. He does well to engineer the space for the shot, defender should have been tighter and not shown him inside from such a position. I don't know enough about goalkeeping but suspect HTT is correct, whilst maybe being harsh as it was very snap-shot.

Willem misplaced numerous passes throughout from the edge of our third. It caused unnecessary pressure and whilst that was a common theme throughout the squad it also doesn't mean he was exempt cause he scored a half decent goal.

Defensively looks fairly solid, good tackler, needs more time to bed in I think. Certainly looks a long shot more ready than Krafth.

Pet hate: People going on about the use of his weak foot in this instance. He's had one intention and that was to engineer a shot on goal, he achieved it and achieved it well. Any player at Premier League level should be hitting the target from there. That's not to say it wasn't a good goal, it was just good for his creativity to make and take the chance, not to hit it with his wrong foot.

He was nowhere near as effective as Ritchie today from a more wholeistic point of view but nor would I expect him to be.

He will be a million times better than Ritchie

:bruce:

I don’t want to take anything away from what looked a cracking goal from the lad which he manufactured on his own using his skill and was fully deserving to see it hit the back of the net. But the keeper stretching his dive to reach the shot leading with his right arm and not his left instead was a mistake and an example of poor goalkeeping IMO. Their number 1 would have tipped it around for a corner I’m sure. Or maybe not...

Wrong on all counts. Against a shot destined for the top left corner, the keeper can reach higher with his right arm than his left arm which is underneath. And the power on the shot would have made it very difficult for any keeper in the world to tip it round the corner.

Odd bunch here. He constantly tried to make things work in an attacking sense and made some good challenges etc. scored a goal showing 0 fear like many of our players do and you still find a way to criticize.

Guest Howaythetoon

Wrong on all counts. Against a shot destined for the top left corner, the keeper can reach higher with his right arm than his left arm which is underneath. And the power on the shot would have made it very difficult for any keeper in the world to tip it round the corner.

My good mate is a top-class amateur ‘keeper and he says poor goalkeeping. Mind he was drunk...

My good mate is a top-class amateur ‘keeper and he says poor goalkeeping. Mind he was drunk...

He absolutely had to go with his right arm there - if you twist your body in the air, you can reach further (literally, the width of your shoulders). And if you're right handed, you'd train that skill especially, because even stretching with your left wouldn't be as strong.

• 3 weeks later...

It's funny, before the goal I was going to mention that he hadn't been in the game much, but he has some real quality about him if we can get him bombing on a bit more. A lot of that goal was down to him, fabulous footwork.