Racism in football

DJ_NUFC

I had a go at a bloke in the pub a few seasons ago for calling Keiron Dyer a 'black bastard', and that was one of our own players.

Other than that though I haven't heard a anything like that actually at the match.

I do think there is some subconcious racism in the way black players are thought of as having a 'poor footballing brain' or 'poor attitude' etc etc. Seems to be code for 'young successful black man'.

I've heard a few 'dodgy' chants here and there, but generally, if you look at who's saying them and why they're saying them, you'll see it's only when we're playing uber-shit and the people saying these things can barely stand up straight. That's not a decent excuse, if it even is an excuse at all, but it's not the outright hatred-style racism that can divide societies/countries.

• 3 years later...
Guest Craig-NUFC

Old thread, but this is very topical right now and deserves a bump.

Emmanuel Eboueye yabanci madde atilmasi.wmv

Video of Eboue getting fucking all sorts lobbed at him by Besiktas supporters. Thing that bothers me the most is that it seems that the Besiktas players are telling him to get on with it whilst the officials do nothing.

On top of that, a lass I know was doing some stewarding at Burnley v Leeds yesterday and she got some racist stick, essentially for doing her job.

Think the last few weeks have proven how naive society has been in the fight against racism. Its not as bad as it once was, but it seems to have reared its ugly head once again.

Thats beyond a joke that clip of Eboue, where is FIFA and UEFA for that?

As soon as anything happens in the UK Blatter is all over us like a tranny with a new pair of shoes.

Ive seen loads of dodgy shit from eastern europe as well, nowt ever gets done, i suppose they all shakes hands at the end and its all ok.

I've heard a few 'dodgy' chants here and there, but generally, if you look at who's saying them and why they're saying them, you'll see it's only when we're playing uber-s*** and the people saying these things can barely stand up straight. That's not a decent excuse, if it even is an excuse at all, but it's not the outright hatred-style racism that can divide societies/countries.

This is probably the most common "type" of racism but it's still unacceptable. That's pretty much what John Terry (supposedly) done and it's not right. It indicates some kind of deep-lying prejudice too, that may not be overt but work to divide society.

It shouldn't be that hard to leave someone's race out of it when you're angry/upset/confused/drunk.

Just shake hands ffs, God!

What Sepp Blatter said was ridiculous, but there is no doubt the English are trying to use it to their advantage to get Blatter out, hence the outrage. Got nothing to do with how appalled people actually are about the comments themselves. Still in a tiff about not getting the world cup imo. Pretty pathetic. How about dealing with the England captains behaviour, it's not something he is doing for the first time is it? Listen to the Chelsea fans' chanting?

People have no idea how much racism exists in this society, how could you though if you aren't the people being subjected to it? Makes me laugh really. Well accustomed to just rising above it by now. It's easy when you know you can never be anything less than the individuals that carry on in this manner. They've just got issues and complexes with themselves ultimately.

• 1 month later...

Bump.

Seemed like the logical place for the latest developments regarding Terry. He'll appear before West London Magistrates court on Feb 1st. 

We can still slag Suarez in the other one lads. 

Guest icemanblue

If I racially abused a footballer in a footballer, and was caught by stewards/police - what kind of punishment would I receive?

I'm not sure that there's a precedent for that.

Guest neesy111

If I racially abused a footballer in a footballer, and was caught by stewards/police - what kind of punishment would I receive?

At least a 3 year football banning order and a public order charge.

At least a 3 year football banning order and a public order charge.

Is that a banning order from the stadium where the offence was committed, or all football stadiums?

What's the difference between the Suarez and Terry cases - i.e. why is one being tried in a criminal court and one in a football tribunal - is it just because one was reported to Police and the other was reported to the FA?

Guest neesy111

What's the difference between the Suarez and Terry cases - i.e. why is one being tried in a criminal court and one in a football tribunal - is it just because one was reported to Police and the other was reported to the FA?

Essentially Yes.