Paul Dummett

Guest palnese

That's a joke. I have a Scottish grandad. I've been to Scotland once 15 years ago. Total farce that. If I was a professional footballer and I was in a dressing room with a load of players born and raised in Glasgow etc I would feel out of place having been to Scotland fucking once

Welsh grandad ffs he was born and raised in Newcastle wasn't he  :lol:

I can kind of see that point. But I think it is a pretty personal choice and also I would imagine a selfish one for many, as it is a chance to play international football.

For example, my Grandad is Polish. I’ve only been to Poland once, but I do feel a tie to the country somehow and I always cheer for them when they’re playing. Against England would be strange, mind.

I absolutely adored the bloke and found his war memoirs and stories he used to tell fascinating. So I guess what I’m saying is, I’ll happily accept a call-up to the Polish national team to play alongside Lewandowski :lol:

I thought the grandparents rule was just for home nations

I have a Welsh grandad, and Welsh influence is clear to see with my name. So I feel a tie to the country. Wouldn't represent them over England if I was a footballer though. But what the player thinks his chances of getting into the respective national sides are would also play into the decision.

I have a Welsh grandad, and Welsh influence is clear to see with my name. So I feel a tie to the country. Wouldn't represent them over England if I was a footballer though. But what the player thinks his chances of getting into the respective national sides are would also play into the decision.

What if you had the self-insight to know you'd probably never break into the English side, but that you could break into the Welsh side? Surely you'd at least consider it.

What if you had the self-insight to know you'd probably never break into the English side, but that you could break into the Welsh side? Surely you'd at least consider it.

Despite having ties to Wales and a clear Welsh influence on my life, I just don't feel Welsh. I've lived here in the north east of England all my life and speak with a clear Geordie accent. It'd be weird, especially if playing against England.

Guest firetotheworks

I have a Welsh Nana, an Irish surname, English parents, and a Norwegian great uncle. Fortunately I'm not good enough to be a professional footballer.

I've a scottish dad and geordie mam, raised in Newcastle. I always supported Scotland, not England, since it was me da that was my football influence.

I'd be trying to make sure my kid supported scotland too, even if they've only one Scottish gparent.

One of the first times Matt Ritchie went to Scotland was to play for the national team :lol:

• 2 months later...

Crocked for Wales tonight. Hope no Manquillo...

I hope Rafa plays the 3-5-2 that we ended the last match in if Dummett isn’t back rather than putting Manquillo in at LB. :'( Means we would get to keep Schar, Fernandez and Ki in the side while fitting Shelvey and Lascelles back in too.

I think we will need Lascelles back in against Burnley regardless to deal with Wood and the long balls they chuck in. Watching Ki and Shelvey in a 3 having more licence to get forward would be interesting to see too. Certainly think 3-5-2 is a good plan B for us thought it played quite a big part in us seeing the Bournemouth match out :thup:

Dummett is an ugly footballer. Looks to have a relatively poor touch and passing range, uncomfortable dribbler. So obviously he has detractors.

Despite all of these flaws, I think he's been our best fullback since Debuchy. Manquillo's a pretty good footballer and much better technically than Dummett but he just can't defend well. Santon was a classy footballer, you would think he would do an ok job at central midfield technically. But the lad was just culpable for so many goals conceded, likewise Janmaat.

You can't have a possession, highly technical based game with a Paul Dummett but we haven't been that for a very long time. And we have bigger problems with the squad.

He’s been better in recent seasons but I still think he’s an example of what’s wrong with us. He should’ve been upgraded years ago.

If we ever want to see consistent top 10 finishes, we'd need to upgrade, but at this point in time there are much higher priority positions to upgrade.  As it stands, we only have one PL quality striker, no acceptable 10 and poor/inconsistent wingers.  We also haven't got a DM or an AM either, with Shelvey being used in a really ungainly deep playmaker role with no outlet.

If I were allowed to spend, my team before I replaced Dummett would be:

------------------Rondon----------------------

------------------------------------------------

New LW----------New 10/AM--------New RW

-------------------Shelvey--------------------

Dummett-------------------------------Yedlin

-----------Schar-Lascelles-Fernandez-------

-------------------Dubs-----------------------

He’s been better in recent seasons but I still think he’s an example of what’s wrong with us. He should’ve been upgraded years ago.

If we ever want to see consistent top 10 finishes, we'd need to upgrade, but at this point in time there are much higher priority positions to upgrade.  As it stands, we only have one PL quality striker, no acceptable 10 and poor/inconsistent wingers.  We also haven't got a DM or an AM either, with Shelvey being used in a really ungainly deep playmaker role with no outlet.

Big fan of Shelvey in a one man midfield

Big fan of Shelvey in a one man midfield

Nah mate, is a four man midfield with three CBs behind him.

I have a feeling that should we suddenly get megabucks and win the Champions League it would still be with Dummett left back.

If we get to the Champions League we need academy players in the squad, so he’s a cert to stay under those circumstances...

I like the idea of Schar, Fernandez & Lascelles with Kenedy & Yedlon wing-backs and Ki and Shelvey together. Would make us a fuck load less predictable to play against if we have two passers as well as danger down both flanks. Even Ritchie as a right wing-back ahead of Yedlin could be interesting.

I like the idea of Schar, Fernandez & Lascelles with Kenedy & Yedlon wing-backs and Ki and Shelvey together. Would make us a fuck load less predictable to play against if we have two passers as well as danger down both flanks. Even Ritchie as a right wing-back ahead of Yedlin could be interesting.

Yeh, steam would literally be hissing out of his ears after 10 minutes of running the line :lol: