Jamaal Lascelles: set to miss 6–9 months with ACL injury (Official)

Nobody

Jamaal Lascelles  

176 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

We've been shite at defending set pieces all season

I know pretty much nowt about it but don't most teams mark zonally these days?

They used to, when Lascelles was scoring from corners. Everybody was lambasted for it though, so I don`t know.

Guest godzilla

We've been s**** at defending set pieces all season

Needs to improve next season, we have 3 tall defenders and the amount of times they have been beaten to a set piece is poor. All have been guilty of it also. You're always going to concede some, but with the size of our defenders we should be not conceding so many headers.

Needs to improve next season, we have 3 tall defenders and the amount of times they have been beaten to a set piece is poor. All have been guilty of it also. Your always going to concede some, but with the size of our defenders we should be not conceding so many headers.

Mentioned it in the Rafa thread last night but I’m sure set-pieces are Antia’s department. We’ve not looked convincing for a while.

Guest godzilla

Needs to improve next season, we have 3 tall defenders and the amount of times they have been beaten to a set piece is poor. All have been guilty of it also. Your always going to concede some, but with the size of our defenders we should be not conceding so many headers.

Mentioned it in the Rafa thread last night but I’m sure set-pieces are Antia’s department. We’ve not looked convincing for a while.

Not sure, but I'm sure Rafa will have it down as a priority if he stays.

He rightfully deserves to be criticized if he’s sole purpose is to clean up and be the aerial presence. He’s failed to track his man on the corner, was in no mans land I think on the second goal and was beaten near post by Origi. I love the bloke but he needs to improve these areas if he wants to ever in contention for England or if he wants to hold his place in team. Rafa is ruthless.

He rightfully deserves to be criticized if he’s sole purpose is to clean up and be the aerial presence. He’s failed to track his man on the corner, was in no mans land I think on the second goal and was beaten near post by Origi. I love the bloke but he needs to improve these areas if he wants to ever in contention for England or if he wants to hold his place in team. Rafa is ruthless.

He was closing down the cross, in the corner, for the second. Think it was Hayden that let Salah stroll past and into the box.

He was closing down the cross, in the corner, for the second. Think it was Hayden that let Salah stroll past and into the box.

Yup you’re right

Whatever Lascelles said in that dressing room at St Mary’s 3 years ago must have been fucking inspired.

Wijnaldum in another CL Final, Sissoko in the European Championship Final and potentially the CL Final, Janmaat in the Fa Cup Final...

• 1 month later...
Guest chopey

I predict next season without Rafa's guidance this bloke will look totally out of place and his weaknesses will be exposed.

I predict next season without Rafa's guidance this bloke will look totally out of place and his weaknesses will be exposed.

Depends who the new manager is.

If Charnley were to get someone like Patrick Vieira that would carry on our solid base in 3-4-2-1(Plays it at Nice) then keeping the solid foundations would help prevent them from disaster next season.

If we lose our solid foundations AND the 44% goals contributed by Rondon AND our top scorer Perez then you’re looking at Huddersfield type numbers next season = 22 goals scored 76 conceded.

Those numbers would never happen under Rafa because he knows how to get the balance right.

How would he cope with the complicated intricate tactics of say a Sherwood or Hughes ?

I think collectively we’d concede a massive amount if we ripped apart our solid base and went for a big transition in manager.

With Rondon and Perez gone/going it’d be impossible for us to score enough goals to stay up especially if the new manager takes away our solid base too.

For those reasons I think someone like Arteta would be a disaster for next season.

self inflicted wounds,theres going to be some comedy value just watching this club implode in the coming months

Aye, it is actually going to be worse than the Kinnear days. :lol:

Or better depending on how you look at it.

Cheers Mike.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jamaal-lascelles-breaks-silence-newcastle-16584880

I know it’s a puff piece, but I was struck by how flat he came across - and that’s on the club TV. Hopefully misery is endemic...

EDIT: For those who don't like the Chron page:

Jamaal Lascelles breaks the silence from the Newcastle United dressing room following uncertain summer

Jamaal Lascelles has broken the silence from the Newcastle United camp.

The Magpies announced at the end of June that Rafa Benitez had left the club and they have so far failed to find a replacement for the ex-Liverpool boss.

Lascelles will lead the team out for their first pre-season game during their tour of China with Wolves standing in their way of a place in the final of the Premier League's Asia Trophy.

Lascelles said: "We will do our best no matter what the circumstances are.

"As professionals and players that's all we can do. Ben Dawson is putting on some good sessions for us.

"We can't dwell on not having a manager. You'd rather know than not know but at the same time we can't control it.

"It's my job and some of the others to make sure everybody is on it and training hard.

"Whatever happens, when a manager comes in, whoever it is going to be, we're ready for whatever instructions he is ready to give us."

Newcastle will be in China for a week and face their second game on Saturday night in Shanghai.

Lascelles, speaking to NUFC TV, said: "The only things we can control is to eat right, sleep and train.

"Some of us might be playing 60 or 70 minutes. It is quite a lot for a first pre-season back but those are the rules and you have to go by it.

"Everybody is looking to play and win the game."