George Caulkin

Tooj

There must have been more to Southgate's sacking than meets the eye. That close to the top of the table having cut the wage bill is surely what was demanded of him. What did he do wrong?

by Juninho

Hi Juno (if I can be informal). Gibson told Southgate in the summer that he reserved the right to make a change if he thought promotion was looking dodgy. Yes, they were a point off top when they beat Derby. But if they'd lost, they would have been tenth. The real concern was that, not all through his own making, Gareth had lost the goodwill of the Riverside. The club perpetually felt like a defeat away from crisis. Sad, but it was unsustainable.

by CaulkinTheTimes at 1:27 PM

quite a following on the betfair forum you are gathering george with your version of events at st james' park. ;-) question. how can anyone second guess what mike ashley is going to do next when he clearly doesn't even know himself. The club can't progress until his regime has ended but we are caught in a "rock in a hard place" . boycott matches and the club drops like a stone, keep supporting it and we can never get rid. no wonder he sold 3 year season tickets up front when he knew what he had in store for us. keep up the good work . you are the only "truthful " voice out there.

by Gary

I agree with absolutely everything you say Gary. Apart from the stuff about me, which is massively deluded. But thank you.

by CaulkinTheTimes at 1:29 PM

Was Barry Moat genuine?

by Nick Ha

He exists, Nick. He was trying to buy the club. He was the preferred bidder of Seymour Pierce, the bank trying to sell it, so clearly they thought so. He came close to matching Ashley's terms in the last week or so, but not close enough, obviously.

by CaulkinTheTimes at 1:30 PM

Knowing what we do now,George,would you have Shepherd back if the opportunity arose?

by St.James

That's like asking if you knew you were about to die in a horrific plane crash would you like to die in another way. Isn't it?

by CaulkinTheTimes at 1:34 PM

:harry:

I seem to remember you were initially very pro-Ashley. When did the doubts creep in?

by Luke

That's also a fair point Luke. A case of 'be careful what you wish for', I suppose. I was desperate to see the back of Shepherd/Hall and the initial signs were promising. They talked about the long-term, Chris Moat was a decent man who seemed keen to communicate. We should have seen the warning signs when Ashley didn't do due diligence I suppose. Didn't take long to unravel. I won't make the same mistake again, I can assure you. And I would guess the same applies to NUFC fans.

by CaulkinTheTimes at 1:37 PM

:thup:

An unfair question perhaps but please don't sit on the fence. Who has the best fans between Newcastle and Sunderland?

by Anonymous

It's an unfair question which hasn't got a name on it! So who's sitting on the fence? Ha. I don't think it's a case of best/worst. In my opinion, the North East is the best place in the world and the same applies to our football clubs.

by CaulkinTheTimes at 1:41 PM

I'll repeat my question, will Gibson provide Strachan with some transfer funds in January

by Anonymous

Ok, ok! I've only got ten fingers. Sorry to keep you waiting Anonymous. I don't think there'll be much money to spend, no. But ... In the summer, Southgate rejected the chance to sign Gavin McCann from Bolton, preferring to stick with youth. I think that's the route Boro will go down.

by CaulkinTheTimes at 1:42 PM

George, What in your opinion should the fans of NUFC do to get Ashley's attention and make him change his destructive ideas towards the club?

by Dave

It's not my place to say Dave. But I remember the anger that poured out after KK's departure during the Hull City game last season. It was energising, properly-expressed, dignified, raw. I do think that the NUST are worth listening to, though.

by CaulkinTheTimes at 1:46 PM

Were you ever subjected to the Roy Keane stare that the journalist the other week received? How did you rate his management period at Sunderland

by Anonymous

He never made me cry, honest. I just had something in my eye. No, I thought he was fantastic. He rose Sunderland's profile, got the club to believe in themselves again, and set soaring standards. For us journalists, he was a godsend. It was just really disappointing that he left at the first sign of trouble. That said, I'm really impressed with Steve Bruce.

by CaulkinTheTimes at 1:47 PM

Given the past turmoil and the mess that has ensued, surely it's time for everyone involved with NUFC to draw a line under the episode(s) and focus on getting the club back into the Premiership, where from the club can rebuild. Isn't it time to just let things be for a season?

by Lee

Interesting point Lee. But I've got another one. How many lines do you want to draw. After Big Sam's sacking? Keegan's resigning? When they signed players off YouTube? Wise, Kinnear? Or shall we draw a line under things when St James' Park is called the Pennywise Stadium and is being used as a carpark?

by CaulkinTheTimes at 1:51 PM

You obviously have genuine affection for all three clubs - how did that happen?

by Andy Liddle

But to cut it slightly longer, I was born in Durham. I've lived in the NE all my life. My best mate was a Sunderland season-ticket holder, my best man was a Newcastle player and I respect nobody more in football than Steve Gibson. I love it here and I'm passionate our football clubs.

by CaulkinTheTimes at 1:55 PM

Are you seriously suggesting the Hall/Shepherd regime at St James's was as flawed, misguided and error-ridden as the Cockney Mafia?

by john d

Not quite, no, John. But not far off.

by CaulkinTheTimes at 1:55 PM

Do you feel that Ashley has changed his mind because Newcastle are doing well & he thinks he'll get more money if they get promoted?

by Ian Taylor

I honestly believe he was desperate to sell, but that must have been part of the equation Ian. He's a gambler, isn't he? The longer the season goes on and Nufc are top of the league, he nearer he is to doubling the (paper) worth of his business.

by CaulkinTheTimes at 2:05 PM

Do you think an upturn in the economy will bring forth credible buyers for NUFC. I can't understand why there is such a lack of credible buyers when Bham and Portsmouth are sold and bought. Are thet put off by the cauldron that is NUFC or are we too far up north. ps did you get in trouble for that Ashley oot article - great stuff

by rhurf

Cheers Rhurf. I agree. Big stadium, huge fanbase, training ground etc etc. Plus a debt that is comparatively reasonable. Let's hope something happens next summer if not before.

by CaulkinTheTimes at 2:06 PM

How many Boro or Newcastle players would get into the Sunderland side?

by Anonymous

Was it this one? Ooooohhhh, that's a toughie. Johnson from Boro? Wheater into the squad, certainly. Newcastle? Harper into the squad. Taylor? Jonas Gutierrez for his goalscoring prowess? (That last bit wasn't serious).

by CaulkinTheTimes at 2:11 PM

Do you think NUFC fans realise the majority of the country are reveling in this "big club" with "the best fans in the world" dying on thier knees? Anyone shocked that Ashley took them off the market when they look set for promotion and subsequent rise in value is a muppet.

by Ben

Yadda yadda yadda yadda. Whatevs. I don't know a single Newcastle fan - and I know quite a few - who refers to themselves as the best in the world. All they are is decent people who deserve a lot better from the idiots who run their football club.

by CaulkinTheTimes at 2:09 PM

Getting back to the many problems within SJP,Is Ashley using the poetntial sale of the naming rights to divert attention away from him remaining at the helm.

by Ian Moore

Good question Ian. It wouldn't be a surprise would it? After all, this is the club that admitted to an Independent PL tribunal that it deliberately misled their supporters "as an exercise in public relations." Nice.

by CaulkinTheTimes at 1:09 PM

Guilty of that question.

Caulkin is an absolute legend after all that :lol:

It's nice to see a member of the National press fighting for our voice, even if he is a local lad himself.

I'm a big fan of his articles, yesterdays was a good article.

do you think non-NUFC fans have a case when they accuse them of being delusional and getting ideas above their station?

by nick b

No, Nick. I don't. Forty years without a trophy? 44,000 against Doncaster last weekend? They don't ask for much, you know. Just a bit of passion from their players and somebody with good sense running the club. It's not exactly unreasonable.

by CaulkinTheTimes at 1:24 PM

I seem to remember you were initially very pro-Ashley. When did the doubts creep in?

by Luke

That's also a fair point Luke. A case of 'be careful what you wish for', I suppose. I was desperate to see the back of Shepherd/Hall and the initial signs were promising. They talked about the long-term, Chris Moat was a decent man who seemed keen to communicate. We should have seen the warning signs when Ashley didn't do due diligence I suppose. Didn't take long to unravel. I won't make the same mistake again, I can assure you. And I would guess the same applies to NUFC fans.

by CaulkinTheTimes at 1:37 PM

Those two in particular are absolutely spot on.

At last an article in tonight's Chronicle ripping into Fat Ash the way they should be.

It's just a shame that John Gibson's journalistic skills are Unibond League compared to Caulkin's Premiership class.

At last?!!? the fella you think is unibond has been going at Ashley for months now.