Alan Shearer

Weznufc

Bragged about it.  :lol:

Aye man, I've been stopping people in the streets an all telling them of my heroic story about getting elbowed to the side of the head and getting KO'd by some big cunt out of the blue.  One of my proudest achievements.

Just watched the Shearer documentary on Sky Sports there. Goosebumps throughout and welling up with pride. How the fuck is our club in the state it's in man? We'll never have another Shearer. :(

We might but we'd sell him as soon as the first bid came in.

That's what I mean though, we'll never have a player here who'll stay for his career and challenge Shearer's record. Even if we became a top club we'd probably still lose strikers to other top clubs, it's just the way the game is now. It's a pity for kids going to games now really that they'll never see a record breaker like that.

At some point you have to say enough is enough and stop selling.  I'm not sure there's a point like that with Ashley once the required price is met.  I suppose we're not alone there.  We've had quite a few good players in the past few years, but with Everton when Fellaini was seen as their star, Man Utd soon got him.  It was a ridiculous fee, but then so was the 35m for Carroll.  It's very difficult to hold on now unless you're determined not to see at any price.  Even the top clubs can quite easily have a player taken by Madrid or Barca.  It's just disappointing that our club never even puts up a fight really. Andy Carroll was our number 9, a club youth player, who was our best at the time and as soon as there was interest we just tried to get the best fee for him.  So definitely, if we do get another of Shearer's quality, he'll be gone in a heartbeat.  We've already set and followed the precedent.

That's what I mean though, we'll never have a player here who'll stay for his career and challenge Shearer's record. Even if we became a top club we'd probably still lose strikers to other top clubs, it's just the way the game is now. It's a pity for kids going to games now really that they'll never see a record breaker like that.

This is a good point. I feel that kids growing up now won't even realise that there was once loyalty in football, and that NUFC used to be a resilient club in terms of holding onto its players. Its now just become 'Oh, Man City want him he'll go. Well, it is Man City afterall'. Sickening. Think back to clubs like City and Chelsea when Shearer was playing for us- they could only dream of pinching our best players (especially MCFC). The club has tumbled so far since then.

Shearer really was the last block of gold NUFC had to offer. It's been a tragic decline since. Watching him reminds me how unbelievable supporting Newcastle used to be- like, it was really incredible. I loved it, especially watching him. Moments like when he bullied Man Utd/West Brown off the ball (although it was a 1-3 defeat, it was the moment in itself which was beautiful) at St.James' Park and ran through and scored. You felt it really was Newcastle against everyone, and that you were going to win, so proud of the club.

Just an amazing player  :smitten:

We thought the same thing when Supermac was sold to Arsenal and it wasn't until Shearer was signed in 1996 - 20 years later - that we bought a striker with as much excitement around him. They were different in many respects but both had made a reputation by then although Macdonald made his mainly with NUFC whereas Shearer did it with Blackburn. Strangely, Macdonald was the same age as Shearer was(almost)when he was sold as Shearer was when he joined NUFC..26, and Macdonald had had 5 years with us by then.

It could well be a long, long time - if ever - before we either produce or sign a striker of similar stature to these 2 because NUFC is a selling club, will never pay top dollar for players(and strikers are ALWAYS top dollar if proven)and will never be a real draw to top players whilst Ashley and Pardew are running the club. Also, unless someone with Arab-type resources buys us, we will never be able to compete with the likes of Chelsea and Man C for players they also want.

Guest Howaythetoon

When we bought Shearer he was at the very top of his game, arguably the best all-round CF in the world pound for pound and he had numerous clubs after him from Man Utd to Barcelona. Obviously being a Geordie helped him to make the decision to choose us, but had we not been at the time capable of challenging for the best, he wouldn't have looked at us twice.

Back then we could compete with anyone in world football financially and competitively on the pitch. In SJH we had an owner/chairman who was a brilliant businessman and in KK we had one of the world's most recognizable football names who was capable of selling sand to the Arabs that's how good he was.

Combined we were a force like no other. That club is long dead and we will never as fans ever belong to a club like that as long as Ashley is here. That to me is soul destroying and worthy of me handing in my notice so to speak RE supporting the club which is effectively what I've done.

But Shearer...  :smitten:

By the way he's becoming a very good pundit these days, far more authoritative and more outspoken, but also speaking a great deal of sense.

I'd still love to see him get back into management because I feel he has enough in him to be a decent manager. From what I've heard behind the scenes, when he took over NUFC for a few games, he was full of very good ideas, but he foolishly tried to implement them all straight away, this to a bunch of players who by that stage had zero fight nor interest in what was best for NUFC.

----------------------------Seaman------------------------

Neville---------Adams---------------Hendry-------Pearce

--------------Lee--------Gazza---------Scholes

----------------------Le Tissier----------------

-----------Ferdinand----------Sheringham

Not bad. Surprised he didn't go with wingers though.

Guest firetotheworks

Good that he didn't put himself in. Only one I'm really surprised about is maybe Nobby and Pedro, although Beardsley was past his best with Shearer arrived like.

Good that he didn't put himself in. Only one I'm really surprised about is maybe Nobby and Pedro, although Beardsley was past his best with Shearer arrived like.

As if Nobby competes in that company, man.

Guest firetotheworks

Anah, but Shearer would be more likely to put him in considering the ridiculous amount of assists that he got from him. It happens a lot on that programme. Players will often pick, not the best players but the ones that they loved playing with or the players that helped them out when they were young.

Anah, but Shearer would be more likely to put him in considering the ridiculous amount of assists that he got from him. It happens a lot on that programme. Players will often pick, not the best players but the ones that they loved playing with or the players that helped them out when they were young.

I'm surprised Beckham isn't on there.

At a talk in at the city hall for Rob Lee's testimonial Shear and Lee were asked who they'd like Newcastle to sign and both said Beckham and got pelters off some in the audience for it as the WC 98 sending off still blighted Beckham.

They both praised him to the hilt.