Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

He got the Remy one wrong but it was a difficult spot. You can't expect a referee to see everything.

As for the one at the end, most of the time, refs will give a pen, but I tend to think the benefit of the doubt should go to the defender.

Remy one is interesting. It's almost impossible to spot in real time, unless he takes the dive as compelling evidence.

I don't think the handball was a pen, it wasn't deliberate IMO. I don't know if there's anything in the laws about position of the arms like pundits always waffle on about.

Remy one is interesting. It's almost impossible to spot in real time, unless he takes the dive as compelling evidence.

I don't think the handball was a pen, it wasn't deliberate IMO. I don't know if there's anything in the laws about position of the arms like pundits always waffle on about.

iirc the only thing in the rules is deliberate or not and thats where the arm thing comes in, if its by your side and it hits your hand/arm its obviously not intentional and a complete accident but when they're out like the wba player had them then its much more difficult

If you go to block an obviously incoming shot with your arm stretched out perpendicular to your body and the ball hits it, I don't think you can complain if the ref gives a penalty.

Guest Slippery Sam

There's been quite a few blatant penalties not given to us this season, but for some reason they almost always have come in games we have won.

Doesn't excuse the incompetence of the referee's in question though.

I've thought for a long time that some referees come to SJP with the mindset of "don't let the crowd intimidate/influence your decisions" and sometimes get some really straightforward decisions (for us in particular) wrong.

If you go to block an obviously incoming shot with your arm stretched out perpendicular to your body and the ball hits it, I don't think you can complain if the ref gives a penalty.

Dunno TBH, I would only give it where the guy actually handles it on purpose. Obviously it's hard to know for sure, and harder in the instances where the arm is up. I just think it's annoying that the debate is usually in the wrong terms.

Dunno TBH, I would only give it where the guy actually handles it on purpose. Obviously it's hard to know for sure, and harder in the instances where the arm is up. I just think it's annoying that the debate is usually in the wrong terms.

Sure they altered the wording of the rule recently. Should have been a pen imo.

The LOTG are very simple..... Deliberately handling the ball is a foul but that means that the referee has to determine intent. So the Advice to Referees documents at published to cover these types of scenarios, and they do talk about the arms being in unnatural positions or defenders extending their arms to make themselves bigger.

In this instance the issue was whether the defender was protecting himself or not (With a smattering of close proximity not providing a chance to avoid the ball).

I would want to call this deliberate handling in my games as the player chose to block the ball in such a way that he had to protect himself from the ball.....ergo deliberate handling.

Two shocking examples of  refereeing in our last two games.

Three.

Oh and the game against Norwich! one of their players fouled Sissokho when we was clean through near the end. Oh and Cisse's offside goal that wasn't, Oh and the Dawson tackle on Sissokho too.

Come to think of it, we've had fuck all off the officials so far this season.

Guest firetotheworks

Exactly why is he so highly regarded? I rarely feel the need to comment on refs, but in my experience of him reffing us, he's consistently the worst out there.

In fairness, Debuchy could have been sent off as well.

I thought he made the right decision with a yellow. Many refs would have succumbed to pressure from the crowd and given a red.

The two penalty claims were both a bit marginal. Some you get, some you don't. It wasn't much of a push, and those handballs where a shot gets blocked can go either way.

The only really poor decision was the Shelvey head-butt. I can only assume he didn't see it.