Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

So two referees on the pitch at a time? It may only be one extra person, but do you feel things may get clogged on-pitch?

Just use one and use the technology exactly how Rugby League use it, they have it to near perfection imo.

Technology's completely fucked Rugby League, as it would football. It's a pantomime now just like American sports, with every try going to the video ref and celebration replaced with everyone looking at a screen.

And that's a stop-start game anyway, nothing like football.

Your missing my point, possibly me not making clear though, i'm not talking about the stop start part of it, i'm talking about the penalty, overline type, which usually especially in the case of penalties, has the game stopped anyway with players surrounding the ref, all he has to do is ask the 4th official to look at it, you dont need to have big screen, no need for razzmatazz at all, just the 4th official and a screen to look back at it.

Exactly the same with bad/looking bad tackles, goal scoring opportunities (like Luiz, Cahill ones), etc the games stops anyway, the 4th official can look and say, yes its a red or a yellow, thats what i mean, the game has stopped anyway, like booking Luiz or sending off Cahill, time to look at an instant replay.

agree, not sure what exactly is 'pantomime' about judging decisions correctly

Guest bimpy474

So two referees on the pitch at a time? It may only be one extra person, but do you feel things may get clogged on-pitch?

Just use one and use the technology exactly how Rugby League use it, they have it to near perfection imo.

Technology's completely fucked Rugby League, as it would football. It's a pantomime now just like American sports, with every try going to the video ref and celebration replaced with everyone looking at a screen.

And that's a stop-start game anyway, nothing like football.

Your missing my point, possibly me not making clear though, i'm not talking about the stop start part of it, i'm talking about the penalty, overline type, which usually especially in the case of penalties, has the game stopped anyway with players surrounding the ref, all he has to do is ask the 4th official to look at it, you dont need to have big screen, no need for razzmatazz at all, just the 4th official and a screen to look back at it.

Exactly the same with bad/looking bad tackles, goal scoring opportunities (like Luiz, Cahill ones), etc the games stops anyway, the 4th official can look and say, yes its a red or a yellow, thats what i mean, the game has stopped anyway, like booking Luiz or sending off Cahill, time to look at an instant replay.

agree, not sure what exactly is 'pantomime' about judging decisions correctly

I think he means when they have it on the big screens, spinning the in/out like in Cricket, we can bypass that and just have a official and a replay, a mic to the ref, easy does it.

That challenge on Silva by Meireles was much worse than the Gosling one - waist-high, studs up, knew he would catch the follow-through - no cries from the "experts" for the obvious red, then he scores seconds later. Then a pwoppa nawty one seconds later again. Yup, only yellow. Whither consistency? Discuss. Two straight reds and a goal in between. Ffs.

I don't think it's feasible to have video evidence on penalty claims - yes, some will clear up easily when cheating cunts like Sebastian Larsson handle on the line then claim it hit them in the face or when cheating cunts like Sebastian Larsson take a ridiculous dive but even after repeated viewing, so many penalties are still simply a matter of opinion that can't be cleared up by video.

How many times do we have debates on here about whether something was or wasn't a red card/penalty/free kick? Bringing in video evidence for that just passes the interpretation from one person to another.

Another refereeing performance costs another team three points. It's getting beyond a joke now, has to be changes in the very near future but won't be.

Which decision(s) in particular? ???

Silva penalty and Meireles staying on the pitch.

Silva penalty?

I think it was a dive, which highlights the point I made above about interpretation.

Re: Meireles - I thought Yaya Toure and Kompany were both very lucky to stay on. Obviously the point remains that Clattenberg might have had a poor game, don't think he was any worse for either side though.

Silva penalty?

I think it was a dive, which highlights the point I made above about interpretation.

Re: Meireles - I thought Yaya Toure and Kompany were both very lucky to stay on. Obviously the point remains that Clattenberg might have had a poor game, don't think he was any worse for either side though.

That's pretty much what it comes down to. He was consistent with both teams, that's good enough for me. Especially considering how shit ref's have been all season.

Can't even remember the last time I saw a Premier League player stumble, if a leg goes out it's become acceptable to take a massive leap over it and if an arm is on your shoulder, it's now ok to fall like a stone, every time. Both times, it's always the defence of "contact". Bloody sick of it tbh.

The refs are canny shit but the players aren't making it easy for them, neither is the widespread acceptance of a professional athlete and grown man falling upon being touched in any way.

Completely agree Wullie. Everyone's obsessed with blaming refs over everything else these days; managers, players and most of all fans are utterly pathetic about it. Nobody looks at the cheating players (class comment in the WSC article I quoted -  "They’re trying to control a game played at high speed, by top athletes, who are often trying deliberately to deceive them.")

Obviously I get frustrated when the incompetence of a ref screws us over but as far as I'm concerned as long as they're not inherently biased I don't really care; it happens to both teams and I'd far rather look at how we've played over 90 minutes than the perception of what the referee has done to us - I'm exactly the same when I'm playing on a Saturday too.

Realise I'm in a minority but complaining about decisions is as tedious as fuck as far as I'm concerned.

Can't even remember the last time I saw a Premier League player stumble, if a leg goes out it's become acceptable to take a massive leap over it and if an arm is on your shoulder, it's now ok to fall like a stone, every time. Both times, it's always the defence of "contact". Bloody sick of it tbh.

The refs are canny shit but the players aren't making it easy for them, neither is the widespread acceptance of a professional athlete and grown man falling upon being touched in any way.

Which, aside from general cheating, in turn leads to one of my main football pet hates - commentators/pundits congratulating players for not going to ground in an attempt to con the ref/win a penalty. Yes, very well done for not resorting to flat-out cheating.

Guest bimpy474

Scarily accurate post ;)

I'll only ever be in favour of technology as far as goal line stuff and only then if it's instant - light behind the goal or something.

Anything else would be shit, regardless if it means for more correct decisions. I get frustrated with the amount of breaks in the game already, anymore would make like American Football or some other daft sport that has more stoppage than action. Plus as Wullie, I think, menitoned a lot of it still comes down to conjecture.

Plus what would be talk about in the pub? on here? Nah, it'd be shit.

Just watching the penalty that Modric won for Spurs against Stoke... Not sure what is the most worrying... The ref giving it standing so close or the commentators after each of the four slo-mo replays claiming the ref had no choice... No contact at all... Scary... And one of the main reasons technology is a waste of time...