Matt Ritchie

Fenham Mag

I reckon the Championship flattered him, but recognize that his performances came without any threat coming from the opposite wing and some pretty pish play at #10. So I'd like to think with better players around him, he should fit in back up in the Premiership again. There is a functional mid-table wide player in there, of the energy and determination over silky skills variety.

How about playing him like Nolan in our last promotion season? We know his legs are shot, but so were Nolan's. Ritchie seems to have the brain of being in the right place at the right time, and has a shot on him. I think he's too slow to be on the wing now.

Wasn't a fan of him last season. Thought the goals papered over what were workmanlike performances devoid of any real  creative quality on the ball. He generally played very simply, took no risks alot of the time in build up play, and relied heavily on Yedlin making an impact going forwards. Ergo, I had him down as being was part of the problem of there being a lack of creativity in this team, especially when Shelvey was out. The one saving grace was that he could strike a ball relatively well sometimes, although it felt like he wasn't consistent at applying the good technique he does have. Seemed to slice/scuff/not cleanly hit the ball alot of the time, and felt like it was a mental issue (e.g. panicking, lack of composure, etc).

With respect to this season, I'll wait to see if he produces or ups his consistency before judging, as he's earnt some leeway for now. Plus not sure we have anyone else worth bothering with in the first team ahead of him.

He doesn't take risks because he's not fast enough/good enough to take people on. He's technically solid so is still a worthwhile weapon, but the fact he's a nailed on starter for us is far from ideal.

Not being a fan of him when he was one of our better players in a title winning season is borderline mental tbf.

Whether he can properly make the step up is to be seen, although there's probably a reason Bournemouth were happy to offload. As it stands he's still one of our most important players, which says it all.

Not being a fan of him when he was one of our better players in a title winning season is borderline mental tbf.

Peter Lovenkrands scored more goals than Ritchie did in far fewer games the first time we were in the Championship under Ashley. Didn't mean I was a fan of Peter, and I'm sure you weren't either. A limited player is a limited player, even if they do well for a season at a lower level. Whilst I appreciate they played in slightly different positions and Ritchie is a better footballer, the logic still holds. I view Ritchie as a borderline limited player given the position he plays in (an opinion I appreciate few will share). Having a winger without pace or trickery or the ability to create chances through skill, even at a significantly lower level than we are at now, is in my eyes along the same lines as having a centreback who can't head the ball, or a goalkeeper who can't jump. It's a limitation for the position and one that will hold the team back by placing the burden of creativity on other players when in truth his position should be providing it - hence why I'm not a fan. Hardly mental.

Needless to say, I'll be happy to be wrong about Ritchie, although even if he starts adding a few goals here and there I'd still want him upgraded on eventually (ala Nolan being replaced by Cabaye). I simply like my wingers to be fast and/or skillful and a constant creative threat.

Why would you not be a fan of Lovenkrands? Did great for us whenever he actually played. Was only first choice one season but still did well after the championship year. And he's an absolutely great guy. Odd Post.

The posts on this page :lol:

Ritchie joined us from Bournemouth as one of their better players, he did far better for them at Championship level than us & was their highest scorer/assister their first season in the prem. The manager didn't want to let him go?

In his last 3 seasons with them or us, only the leading strikers at either clubs have managed a higher total of goals & assists combined.

Yet he's "part of the problem of there being a lack of creativity in the team", doesn't have "the ability to create chances through skill" & Bournemouth "were happy to offload him"

Could we be spouting a higher level of bollocks honestly. What an absolutely miraculous coincidence that our singular best chance at scoring in our previous game, came from Matt Ritchie. Where's Sherlock Holmes to work that mystery out.

I swear this place is bi-polar and the swings in opinions on players, managers, Game of Thrones :lol: seem to swing so quickly, in such a short space of time.   

I don't really use any other forums, mind.  So it might be the case across the board. 

I agree it's absolutely insane to use one's own eyes and judgement to see that a player isn't at the required level for his position in this league. His stats last season should speak forever full stop. Pardew finished fifth after all.

Nah doesn't really make sense.

Comparing a situation where a manager didn't perform well consistently & then had a stand out year, only to perform poorly again & point out that the singular season doesn't represent the overall general standard.

With a player who has performed consistently for several seasons in a row, has only had one previous season at this level, was one of the higher achievers in a side that has stayed up for several seasons now & who outperformed several players who have gone on to do well at this level.

He's clearly got a bit of the radge about him, but he channeled it positively today and made a big contribution to the result. I think that first goal was vital, and Ritchie played a big part in it. He did so for the second too, but West Ham were on the ropes by then.

He doesn't talk in such flowery terms, but I reckon Rafa knows about momentum and positive energy, and on his game, Ritchie can provide them, lifting the other lads in the team.