Matt Ritchie

Fenham Mag

If our tactic against teams is to stay compact and hit them on the break then he's going to struggle as he's not got much pace.

On the other hand, he's capable of producing really good pieces of quality like that right footed shot in the first half today and he helps defensively more than Atsu

He's one of the few players we have of prem league quality. He's not a beat a man & cross it type of winger, he's more about intelligent play & quick one two's into space. Through balls & shots etc

Was held back having Mbemba behind him today & you cant really judge our 10 men v Spurs. Be mental to drop him tbh.

i like him, but it's strange he has almost no qualities as a winger. No pace, can't beat a man, his crossing is pretty average

He's a bit like a likeable Damien Duff.

yeah, its strange, he always cuts back instead of going past someone and it's starting to really annoy me

Probably because he's a left footer playing on the right would be my guess.

He's one of the few players we have of prem league quality. He's not a beat a man & cross it type of winger, he's more about intelligent play & quick one two's into space. Through balls & shots etc

Was held back having Mbemba behind him today & you cant really judge our 10 men v Spurs. Be mental to drop him tbh.

That's why I think he looks a lot better in a team that presses high up the pitch, generally it's wingers with pace who like the sitting deep and counter style.

Guest firetotheworks

Ritchie needs Yedlin. End of story really. No legs behind him to overlap and he'll be pretty ineffectual.

:thup: Good point.

Ritchie needs Yedlin. End of story really. No legs behind him to overlap and he'll be pretty ineffectual.

I was just coming to say this exact point. He played miles better (atleast consistently) with Yedlin overlapping because teams have to respect the pace of Yedlin. So Im waiting to see how he does when Yedlin is back. Should have more time and space and if teams still collapse towards him then its up to Yedlin to make them pay by putting dangerous balls into the box and at that point the attackers doing their job.

I like him but these first two games he's been atrocious.

That first time shot in the first half was fantastic technique. Technically very hard to pull that shot off.

That said, he's not going to have anywhere near the influence this year.

Yep. The injuries to both him and Dummett have been very influential to us so far.

Ritchie was on the left today because our left-back was very much a makeshift one; having Atsu in front of Mbemba would have been the riskier call. But from an attacking point if view it meant that Ritchie's only option was to either beat his man (which he doesn't have the pace to do), or cut in on his right (which is very much his weaker side). Atsu then having a poor game down the other flank left us completely toothless down both wings.

Ritchie made no difference in the middle either. Can't see him being any use in that role.

We really are devoid of both quality and depth when it comes to our attacking options; it's really quite worrying. We're gonna have to hope Murphy makes the grade but when he was stood on the touchline I noticed how slight he is, which leaves me quite concerned too.

Gulp, basically.

I don't think Ritchie was "very pap" (:anguish:) at any stage last season. His form dipped around Christmas time but his start and end of season form was good

Maybe the Christmas form is what I was wrongly thinking of, having looked back it does look like he had a decent start. Just recalled him going through a poor patch where he was playing similarly to how he has in the last two weeks.

Probably missing Yedlin, who I think he works very well with.

Guest firetotheworks

TCD uses that term all the time and I think it grates on people.  Understandably so :lol:

??? Obviously when I used the term as little as 3 months ago and KI managed to respond to the post without being a child and overreacting, it wasn't such a problem.

:lol: Back to discussing Ritchie then.

:lol: IP brought it up tbf, take it up with him. But aye, it's profoundly annoying and in nigh on every single TCD post.