Matt Ritchie

Fenham Mag

Was interesting to see him used behind the striker in the second half. Could be a good option there.

Did say it earlier in the summer, I think Rafa sees Ritchie as more capable there in the PL than a winger where we need the pace of Atsu/Aarons/Murphy etc. Good to see him try it at least.

I've thought Ritchie would do good job in the middle since the Norwich home game last season. We should definitely try him there i think.

In terms of finding a way of getting our best players on the pitch, from what I have seen so far Aarons left, Atsu right and Ritchie in the middle (behind Gayle) might be a solution. Not ideal to give Ritchie a new position, to which he might not be suited, or at least would have to learn, but it leave Murphy and Perez to add to the mix, cover for and keep pressure on all three.

I've thought Ritchie would do good job in the middle since the Norwich home game last season. We should definitely try him there i think.

Did he play in the middle in that game like?

Did he play in the middle in that game like?

No he played on the right but i remember when we were 3-1 down and he was scrapping away in midfield trying to win the ball back and get things going for us.  Thought to myself he'd end up playing in CM or as an AM as he likes to be involved as much as possible, also thought he should be the captain aswell.

Just been on Five Live not saying much of interest but made a point of bringing up Benitez's wishes to bring more players in. Mentioned it a couple of times, albeit in reply to questions about our transfer activity, prospects for survival and ability to keep Benitez at the club.

• 2 weeks later...

Really wouldn't mind an upgrade on Ritchie. Not a top player at this level IMO.

I think he's not really suited to Rafa's system ironically, he doesn't have the pace. But he's got quality further forward which is where he played for Bournemouth.

Guest firetotheworks

i like him, but it's strange he has almost no qualities as a winger. No pace, can't beat a man, his crossing is pretty average

He's a bit like a likeable Damien Duff.

Guest firetotheworks

I wouldn't go that far like. He hasn't played badly, or made any big mistakes, he just hasn't been able to create a great deal.