Matt Ritchie

Fenham Mag

injured??? surely he would have played some part otherwise.

I wouldn't read anything into it. Strachan is under huge amounts of pressure from the press and supporters up here for his bizarre squad and team selections. That late goal did nothing to hide the fact that he's a woeful manager.

Random I know, but for some reason when I see Matt Ritchie's name my head starts singing 'Matt Ritchie is a weatherman, and so is Michael fish.'

Annnnnddddd now so does mine. Thanks for that.

His personality reminds me a bit of Bellamy, he's always moaning at somebody.  He's been one of our best players this season and he's been much better than I expected because I didn't realise how much work he gets through.

His personality reminds me a bit of Bellamy, he's always moaning at somebody.  He's been one of our best players this season and he's been much better than I expected because I didn't realise how much work he gets through.

After he was denied the penalty (which looked stonewall) he was doing his dinga at the 4th official a good 5 or more minutes afterwards(after the coaches had been separated from each other even) and he got hammered for it off Rafa as it was right next to him, telling in him no uncertain terms to get on with the game and get back in position and concentrate.

Much better than expected, really? I think of all our players this season he's the one whose overall performance has been closest to what we might've predicted.

I thought that he would be tidy on the ball, I didn't expect him to graft his nuts off and I didn't think he'd get almost a goal every 3 games from the wing.

Obviously great for the goal but in second half they started getting a lot of joy down his side, he was being bypassed and Anita was being doubled up on too much. Not a huge criticism as nothing came of it in end and he's generally been diligent, he just doesn't seem quite fast enough to get back and cover on a counter.

Guest neesy111

His attitude is amazing, don't think I've seen a player since bellamy that will run and run.  Never gives up attitude.

Obviously great for the goal but in second half they started getting a lot of joy down his side, he was being bypassed and Anita was being doubled up on too much. Not a huge criticism as nothing came of it in end and he's generally been diligent, he just doesn't seem quite fast enough to get back and cover on a counter.

We're always going to struggle down our right hand side when we haven't got a proper right back playing. Hopefully Yedlin is back soon.

Benitez said: “Out of all the players we were talking about, he was the most clear that he wanted to come here.

“For him, Newcastle was a massive club in a massive city, and he was talking about the fans and the stadium. From day one, he was very excited about the move. Clearly, he wanted to come.

“That passion can be seen in every game.

“You can see he’s running all the time. Sometimes, we tell him to stop, because he’s putting so much effort into it. I prefer this kind of player, the one you have to ask to back off rather than work harder.

“He’s an example to his team mates with his attitude and ability.

“I don’t like to talk too much about individuals, and (it) was very much a team effort.

“He’s someone who puts a lot of work into every game. He’s always a threat and a problem for other teams. I’m really pleased with his character, because it’s fundamental to the way we want to play.

“When you play these kind of games under pressure you’re looking for that kind of player.

“The fans here love this kind of player. For a manager, you can believe in him knowing he will always do his best. He’s always so positive and is an example for the others.”

Should be our captain! :smitten:

I was hard on him mid season, when I thought he wasn't really contributing enough but over the course of the season he's really been huge, it's difficult to pick a player of the season because there are a few to pick from, my vote would probably go to Shelvey because without him we are nowhere near the team we need to be, but Ritchie, Gayle and Clark run him pretty close.

12 million in today's market is a steal.

I was extremely concerned mid season about him, I was adamant he was home sick for the South. But he's proved me wrong I'm glad to say. Yes he still has his off games but his effort is unquestionable. Definite started in PL for me.

Guest Howaythetoon

He's the kind of player and character that Rafa would happily fill each position with if he could. As good as his attitude is and his lead by example mentality, he's not a Captain as such or a true leader. He's more self motivated that a team motivator. He went off the boil for a bit but in general and overall along with Clark from what I've seen, read and heard, he's probably our player of the season.

He's the kind of player and character that Rafa would happily fill each position with if he could. As good as his attitude is and his lead by example mentality, he's not a Captain as such or a true leader. He's more self motivated that a team motivator. He went off the boil for a bit but in general and overall along with Clark from what I've seen, read and heard, he's probably our player of the season.

I'm sure Rafa would love every player to have his attitude, but you can only get so far at a higher level on graft. One of our problems this season is that on the other side you have Gouffran and Dummett and this means when you have Anita playing behind Ritchie, there's very little real pace or trickery from wide positions. If Ritchie's going to be our role model wide player then we need the pace and flair coming from the other side.