Matt Ritchie

Fenham Mag

There was a little thing today that drove me mad, with about 10 to 15 minutes to go he was in on the left on his left foot, yet instead of crossing straight away or driving forward to cross, He turned back on his right and Hutchinson tackled him.

You see that a lot with him, and in our tactics generally, narrow play and turning back a lot.

He was played in after some good work from Diame and like you say he stopped and cut back. Okay if he's on the right and cuts back on his left but he had the perfect opportunity to put a first ball in with his good foot and wasted it.

Leazes-East corner were having a great time singing the magic hat song today. I think he offers little in quite a few games and gets away with it because Gouffran is often worse.

Yet Goufrann came closest to scoring with a diving header that went inches wide.

Disappointed in him tbh, he should be scoring or setting up more and that's been frustrating to watch as I expected him to be the same level of quality that we had centrally from Shelvey - ESP given he dominated this league last time he played in this division.

There was a little thing today that drove me mad, with about 10 to 15 minutes to go he was in on the left on his left foot, yet instead of crossing straight away or driving forward to cross, He turned back on his right and Hutchinson tackled him.

You see that a lot with him, and in our tactics generally, narrow play and turning back a lot.

He was played in after some good work from Diame and like you say he stopped and cut back. Okay if he's on the right and cuts back on his left but he had the perfect opportunity to put a first ball in with his good foot and wasted it.

He will be fine imo, you can see he's class even if he hasn't shown enough of it yet. He'll know he needs to improve and that's the thing, unlike others we've had before he'll know it and try his hardest to be better. Not be happy to sit on his wages and not give a fuck.

Gets in a great position and then freezes, down to confidence but not sure how long we can carry him when Atsu looks so dangerous when he plays.

His set piece delivery is usually spot on like.

Then take Alsoran out of the team, not Ritchie.

Ideally we'd have two wingers that we could bring in for both of them as they've both been poor, but we haven't because Aarons is made out of Lego.

Maybe Lazaar is worth a shot on the left wing?

I don´t have any expectations for Gouffran so all good he does is just a bonus. His contract is up soon and we will be rid of him.

Ritchie however was brought in as a marquee signing thus my expectation is higher for him. He should be the star performer together with Gayle and Shelvey in this side which he hasn't been in any of the matches I´ve seen at least. He is too slow and lacks skill to take on players, so any attack through him is only successful if anyone makes a run so he can pass into space. Most often though the attack stops up with him turning back and passing sideways/backwards just like Duff did in his heyday for us.

Guest Howaythetoon

He is expending most of his energy in our own half... he is meant to be an attacking creative player. Let him loose, set him free Rafa!

He is expending most of his energy in our own half... he is meant to be an attacking creative player. Let him loose, set him free Rafa!

He can't as he's having to help Anita out defensively. The amount of times the Sheff Wed left winger got behind Anita last night was ridiculous. Last night reminded me a lot of when Ryan Taylor played as a stand in left back and Gutierrez used to have to help him out far more than should be reasonably expected.

Guest Howaythetoon

He can't as he's having to help Anita out defensively. The amount of times the Sheff Wed left winger got behind Anita last night was ridiculous. Last night reminded me a lot of when Ryan Taylor played as a stand in left back and Gutierrez used to have to help him out far more than should be reasonably expected.

It's about game plan, play a proper RB who can get forward and the issues you have mentioned would be Sheffield Weds and not ours. Therefore Ritchie would be free-er...

It's about game plan, play a proper RB who can get forward and the issues you have mentioned would be Sheffield Weds and not ours. Therefore Ritchie would be free-er...

Totally agree with you. I think Ritchie plays much better when he's got Yedlin behind him. I think Rafa will play Yedlin v Forest and move Anita into midfield in place of Colback.

This guy can't carry the ball for miles and run at people like Townsend could. However he does have quality. He needs a number 10 and central midfielders that can pass the ball, and therefore link up with him to eventually release him into space and decent positions to produce a final product. He is the least of our worries.

According to Ritchie, he plays better as a winger. He apparently looked a class apart when performing this role in the Championship with AFCB, and to be fair more than held his own in the Premier League. He is not, despite use of the term above, being played as a winger. I see this, and normal fluctuation in form/variation in who is doing what around him, as the explanation for what we're not seeing as much if him  'in the match highlights'; getting sick of hearing the lack of pace meme. Players' performance/contribution isn't solely due to particular strengths/needs there is always context and confidence.

Nolberto Solano never had any pace but his technique and delivery was consistently top notch. Ritchie's isn't. He's just not THAT good. With Rafa as manager rather than a more forward thinking Howe I can see why his level has naturally dropped. When I think of Rafa teams I struggle to think of top notch wingers - a part of it is just down to the system.