Matt Ritchie

Fenham Mag

It doesn't make sense more due to the fact that Dummett & Gouffran are a reasonable threat at this level. Ritchie hasn't been crowded out, his form has just dipped.

Has it really dipped? He's basically been no better than average in every game and that's being kind.

I mean, I can't be arsed to think about every match in detail, but came away from a good few of the early games in the season thinking he'd had a quality match. Hasn't happened for a while.

I can't really remember any match where he stood out as a different level to everyone one the pitch in the way Shelvey has at times. I'm not necessarily having a go, but considering the money we paid, and his record at this level previously, I think he has arguably been the biggest disappointment of the season. Can't think of him doing many good things throughout the season tbh, and our overall form has carried him and made him avoid any major criticism.

It doesn't make sense more due to the fact that Dummett & Gouffran are a reasonable threat at this level. Ritchie hasn't been crowded out, his form has just dipped.

Has it really dipped? He's basically been no better than average in every game and that's being kind.

I mean, I can't be arsed to think about every match in detail, but came away from a good few of the early games in the season thinking he'd had a quality match. Hasn't happened for a while.

I can't really remember any match where he stood out as a different level to everyone one the pitch in the way Shelvey has at times. I'm not necessarily having a go, but considering the money we paid, and his record at this level previously, I think he has arguably been the biggest disappointment of the season. Can't think of him doing many good things throughout the season tbh, and our overall form has carried him and made him avoid any major criticism.

I sort of agree with you, have thought the same from pretty much the start of the season, but I don't really judge him how I would judge a winger normally. He doesn't have much pace or trickery to get past the full back, but then he has other qualities like intelligence, hard work and a very decent delivery. Almost a poor man's Beckham if you like. So while he never looks spectacular, he does do a lot of good things during 90 mins. So for me, if we want pace and flair we should maybe look to have it on the other wing to Ritchie, that would give us a nice mix.

• 2 weeks later...

He's not pacy, but very clever and great movement/positioning. That was always his game - but agree with joey, wish he was faster; but a lot of those complaints about pace wouldn't be as prominent if he was putting away the chances he gets that a player of his quality should.

Has to improve for me. Honestly when Atsu came on he immediately improve us, offering something down the right, Ritchie had failed to do all game and of course got a goal. Think we need to look at both flanks in the summer to improve, not convinced Ritchie will be the asset for us in the PL we originally thought he would be.

I think you're all pretty spot on. He's not performing to his best but he is contributing to the team and more importantly results.

The fact he has acknowledged he can do better leaves me confident he will do better.

If we can increase our threat down the left, he should be even more effective. Attacking LB would be nice.

He's doing the annoying Duff-turn and back pass all the time. Disappointed with what I've seen of him this season. Need to start Atsu instead and get in something better for next season.

Because there's rarely anyone ahead of him to pass to. He loves an early cross into the box which isn't really ideal for Gayle. Mitrovic with Gayle behind would get ther best out of him.....it's up for debate if that would be best for the team.

He's doing the annoying Duff-turn and back pass all the time. Disappointed with what I've seen of him this season. Need to start Atsu instead and get in something better for next season.

:whistle:

Errr, you wanted him dropped instead of Gouffran. The bloke in your avatar knew best though and he assisted the first goal. Sell him.

:whistle:

Errr, you wanted him dropped instead of Gouffran. The bloke in your avatar knew best though and he assisted the first goal. Sell him.

;D