Realistic Transfer Targets

MyPalAl

Gotze?

Saw some Twitter links to him but he's been nothing special hasn't he after he failed at Munich and returned to Dortmund?

Massively injury prone - has really kicked (due to injuries) on from the hype when Klopp was there

Lucas Hernandez just got sold for £80M ffs.

That list would probably cost 300M+

And the rest! Nine top-drawer players being purchased by a nouveau-rich English club - Cantwell and Aarons in particular would attract a special Saudi premium

If Rafa came back, I'd be happy if he brought Rondon back with him; finish his career here.

If we have money to burn we can do a shit load better than Rondon.

Even if we could buy Mbappe and Neymar, there's merit to the notion of immediately bringing in someone you know can hit the ground running, and then spending six months making sure you get exactly the right "franchise player" to wear the #9 in our glorious future.

Not saying that's what I'd do, but there's merit to the idea. After all, Rondon's better than anyone else we've got, and with world football being in turmoil, taking some time to get the right player isn't a bad idea.

Rondon is a known quality. He has good relationships with Rafa, other players, and the fans.

I don't know what kind of money we'll have to spend in the window. Maybe we'll have 'money to burn', maybe not. I do think that Rondon is a great value that will serve the club well as a target man, off the bench, in Cup games, whatever.

Rondon is a known quality. He has good relationships with Rafa, other players, and the fans.

I don't know what kind of money we'll have to spend in the window. Maybe we'll have 'money to burn', maybe not. I do think that Rondon is a great value that will serve the club well as a target man, off the bench, in Cup games, whatever.

If we can afford to get Benitez back at Newcastle and out of his contract in China I'd imagine we'd have a deep pockets.

Rondon was cracking for us and I was disappointed we didn't sign him permanently but it is what it is.

Do you think if Benitez had total control of transfers during his time at us do you reckon Rondon would have been his number 1 target in the summer of 2018? Im not so sure. We only moved for him because he was cheap and we could swap him for Gayle.

I bet if Benitez had a decent sum to spend on a striker back in 2018 he probably would have looked at other options before ending up at Rondon.

If we can afford to get Benitez back at Newcastle and out of his contract in China I'd imagine we'd have a deep pockets.

Rondon was cracking for us and I was disappointed we didn't sign him permanently but it is what it is.

Do you think if Benitez had total control of transfers during his time at us do you reckon Rondon would have been his number 1 target in the summer of 2018? Im not so sure. We only moved for him because he was cheap and we could swap him for Gayle.

I bet if Benitez had a decent sum to spend on a striker back in 2018 he probably would have looked at other options before ending up at Rondon.

Yeah he wanted to sign Alassane Plea in that summer of 2018 but they didn’t let him have the funds for it so we missed out ended up getting Rondon on loan late on in that Summer window.

And now Plea is one of the best forwards in Germany and getting linked to Arsenal, Man Utd, Spurs.

Money talks one way or another....yes you get agents and players going on about wanting Champions League and Trophies immediately, but add a zero to their pay and suddenly a 'project' becomes interesting.

Also, if these players wanting immediate success were actually as good as they think they are, surely they would back themselves to bring whoever they join to the elite. 

Money talks one way or another....yes you get agents and players going on about wanting Champions League and Trophies immediately, but add a zero to their pay and suddenly a 'project' becomes interesting.

Also, if these players wanting immediate success were actually as good as they think they are, surely they would back themselves to bring whoever they join to the elite.

Neymar is a good example. One of the best, at one of the best clubs in the world suddenly decides PSG is the place to be. Remove their wealth and would he have gone there? Probably not. Never believed the excuse about him being sick of living in Messi's shadow

If Rafa came back, I'd be happy if he brought Rondon back with him; finish his career here.

If we have money to burn we can do a shit load better than Rondon.

Even if we could buy Mbappe and Neymar, there's merit to the notion of immediately bringing in someone you know can hit the ground running, and then spending six months making sure you get exactly the right "franchise player" to wear the #9 in our glorious future.

Not saying that's what I'd do, but there's merit to the idea. After all, Rondon's better than anyone else we've got, and with world football being in turmoil, taking some time to get the right player isn't a bad idea.

We don't want players just on account they are better than what we've got, I imagine the Saudis will want to get us up and running as fast as is legally possible given the FFP constraints. They will want to sell NUFC to their home base and floundering around in midtable won't achieve that. With all due respect to Rondon, I don't see him as CL level. I would have thought we would rather spend biggish money on a top 30yr + striker who might be made available for the right price.

Seen some comments on twitter linking us with Danny Ings, people’s thoughts on that one ?

Would take Ings along with someone like Cavani. Ings scores goals at this level in this league in a team equally as bad as our current one. He’s a sure bet imo. Cavani although the better player may not adapt or might just hit that point where age catches up on him, so would be a bigger risk even for free. Together though we’d always have a threat.

I’d hope we’d still look around for English/British talent. There’s about 4 players from Norwich I’d take for squad building, Bellingham, grealish, Ings, lallana (if we sell shelvey) Harry Wilson, dunk, mcneil etc...

We're probably going to need transitional signings, a bit like when City bought the best players from the chasing pack like Bellamy, Given, Santa Cruz, Benjani etc.

Ings, Rondon, someone of that ilk who'll guarantee you 10+ goals would probably be quite an astute move for next season as a minimum. We are where we are with virtually no contribution from our so called strikeforce, so adding a player like that probably gets you three or four places up the table before you even think about making additions or upgrades anywhere else on the pitch.

Ings is surely a non-starter. He wanted to move down to the south coast didn't he?

I suppose I'd take Rondon back but if we're snapping our fingers and wishing for things, I just wish we'd managed to keep him. He was a great asset and was more than worthy of being the main striker for at least another season.

But assuming we're going to have a competitive transfer budget going forward, we could probably get better value for money than a striker who's already approaching his twilight and coming out of a year in a much inferior league.

I was just coming back to say Grealish, actually. Bet it could happen.

Are we going to be made to look totally fucking stupid for so much as discussing stuff like this? :lol:

Grealish has that extra touch of class that means he wouldn't look out of place in a CL side. Would be a massive upgrade on Shelvey, assuming he would be keen on the move - which I'm not sure he would tbh.