General press coverage

Optimistic Nut

Something doesn't sit right with me about a US company attempting to monopolise UK sports journalism.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/us-upstart-the-athletic-sends-shockwaves-through-british-football-media-1.3974420?mode=amp

Mather is unequivocal about The Athletic’s ambition to revolutionise the sports journalism industry.

He told the New York Times: “We will wait every local paper out and let them continuously bleed until we are the last ones standing. We will suck them dry of their best talent at every moment. We will make business extremely difficult for them."

Hmm yes this definitely appears to be a noble cause worthy of my money. No thanks.

What a horrendous quote that is :lol:

Something doesn't sit right with me about a US company attempting to monopolise UK sports journalism.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/us-upstart-the-athletic-sends-shockwaves-through-british-football-media-1.3974420?mode=amp

Mather is unequivocal about The Athletic’s ambition to revolutionise the sports journalism industry.

He told the New York Times: “We will wait every local paper out and let them continuously bleed until we are the last ones standing. We will suck them dry of their best talent at every moment. We will make business extremely difficult for them."

Hmm yes this definitely appears to be a noble cause worthy of my money. No thanks.

Jesus christ :anguish:

No thanks.

That post about bleeding locals dry, nah not for me. I might not like the Chronicle but imagine trying to say your looking to make people redundant and being proud of it. Tory as f***.

It's originally why I didn't subscribe after the first year, he's since apologized for it. Doesn't change that it's literally the opposite thing The Athletic should be trying to do.

Still, it's good content on every big sport you could want and now that they've increased their football coverage, which was the one weak link imo, it should get even better. Don't think you can go wrong buying a year at the intro price and seeing how you like it

Feel free to merge if this thread is covered elsewhere.

Be interesting to see if Waugh changes his tune now that he's free from the NCJ, line toeing, shackles.

If he does, it'd be quite the indication of just how heavily influenced the NCJ mob are by the club.

Caulkin also confirmed to have joined the Athletic too (£60.00 per annum).

Ryder still sat by his phone dribbling away :lol:......

Be interesting to see if Waugh changes his tune now that he's free from the NCJ, line toeing, shackles.

If he does, it'd be quite the indication of just how heavily influenced the NCJ mob are by the club.

Hadn't thought of that but they definitely have the feeling of falling back in line since Rafa left albeit

Douglas isn't a Newcastle fan and his life has been made easier by having Bruce

Ryder probably thinks Bruce is better than Rafa as he is a Geordie

Hadn't thought of that but they definitely have the feeling of falling back in line since Rafa left albeit

Douglas isn't a Newcastle fan and his life has been made easier by having Bruce

Ryder probably thinks Bruce is better than Rafa as he is a Geordie

100% they'll be privately happy for Bruce. He's Ryder's dream but also good for the local press as he'll not be able to shut up in trying to please them, the feckless wonder.

Been reading throughout the day. It's fantastic, so much different content about teams and sports I'm interested in.

Seems like they're having daily Q&A's with podcasts being added. Early impressions: £30 for the year is an absolute bargain.

Been reading throughout the day. It's fantastic, so much different content about teams and sports I'm interested in.

Seems like they're having daily Q&A's with podcasts being added. Early impressions: £30 for the year is an absolute bargain.

Shows as £60 in the app?

One of the interesting ones for me is Adam Leventhal leaving SSN to cover Watford - surely that’s a huge step down pay-wise?

They’ve hoovered up most regional papers’ lead/secondary writers.

James Pearce was at the Liverpool Echo for yonks, that Brighton reporter was there more than 30 years and Phil Hay has left the YEP to keep covering Leeds. On the face of it, with their dedicated followers and reputation they should flourish but I’d be a bit concerned if I was a bit of a fringe writer.

Shows as £60 in the app?

I signed up onto website this morning. Free month, then £30 paid in a lump sum for next 12 months.

Seems to be loads of 50% codes on twitter from all journalists.

:thup: samptime29 - find the PL addition to now make it a perfect package of different sports content. I like to read vast amount of sports articles across the board so this is good shit. 

I know I sound like I work for them :lol: but I've been shocked at how good it is.

I like reading stuff at work, at home, on phone when travelling. Perfect for that.

I spent £30 on a meal and a couple of drinks on Saturday FFS.  :lol:

For an avid Sport lover and reader - it's a no-brainer tbh.

ugh

Waugh isn't too bad, but strange they didn't go after Douglas, who I actually think (despite what people say on here) is a decent writer.  Some of his longer reads are quite good.

Douglas isn't bad, pretty average I'd say. The fact that Easy Ryder is his immediate competition makes him look like Wordsworth in comparison, probably why he keeps Lee around. Like having an ugly mate hang around with you to make you better looking by proxy  :smug:

Think it’s really poor they are not offering a flexible subscription, even if it’s a bit more pricey. £30 (£60 next year!) is not bad but they want your money up front rather than a Netflix style £6 a month that you can cancel anytime.

They’ve headhunted some of the best in the industry (and Chris Waugh) but will need to sell a LOT of subscriptions to pay all their wages and overheads if they are committed to zero advertising. Interesting concept and no one particularly likes a load of adverts I think we are all too accustomed to getting it for free. I understand the need for a paywall but the online world is too established imo.

Meh you get what you pay for and trinity mirrors clickbaiting business model has run local papers into the ground not competition from others.  I'm a sucker for good quality sports writing and if reviews are good I'll jump

I've had it since last year because of other sports i'm interested in, worth every penny. I didn't know they were investing in staff for football mind.