Match tickets

Crumpy Gunt

Don't get why you would cancel after one player leaving in Jan. Chances are we will do most of our recruiting and re-building in the summer. We had an outside chance of Europe this season but now that seems all but gone especially if we don't get a replacement but next season is where our true test will lie with lots of the players moving on.

It's not as a result of one player leaving in Jan. It's as a result of not permanently signing a single player this season, a complete lack of ambition on the club's behalf to strengthen and spend the money we do have on improving the squad, on repeatedly belittling the club and the fans and hiring Joe f***ing Kinnear to lie to the fans every transfer window. I don't see why me and my girlfriend should travel from York every other week and spend thousands per year for this treatment to be honest. If some other mug wants it they're welcome to it

We had an outside chance of Europe this season but now that seems all but gone especially...

...especially now the club is actively avoiding competing in it

It really isn't, and this is a moronic thing for people to keep saying.

Jesus wept. Sometimes I really think you're a club insider, you come out with so much shite sympathising with Pardew and his mob. It's sickening. I'm totally shocked that someone can so easily accept mediocrity at a stage when we have so much potential.

We had an outside chance of Europe this season but now that seems all but gone especially...

Jesus wept. Sometimes I really think you're a club insider, you come out with so much shite sympathising with Pardew and his mob. It's sickening. I'm totally shocked that someone can so easily accept mediocrity at a stage when we have so much potential.

Well done on completely missing the point.

That old chestnut. Avoiding a top 6 finish, are you really that thick? Do you honestly believe we will throw matches just so we fall short of it?

When a manager spends one season moaning about being in Europe, then at the start of the next season declares how good it is that we're not in it, then the club explains that it's not attractive financially, then there isn't something in it?

I'm not saying we are deliberately losing games or anything daft like that, but we are actively managing the squad to be in mid-table safety, to ensure we pick up a good slice of PL money without the need for a large squad or any more than a couple of top-quality players.

When a manager spends one season moaning about being in Europe, then at the start of the next season declares how good it is that we're not in it, then the club explains that it's not attractive financially, then there isn't something in it?

I'm not saying we are deliberately losing games or anything daft like that, but we are actively managing the squad to be in mid-table safety, to ensure we pick up a good slice of PL money without the need for a large squad or any more than a couple of top-quality players.

Yeah that's true, but we're not actively trying to avoid being in Europe.

That old chestnut. Avoiding a top 6 finish, are you really that thick? Do you honestly believe we will throw matches just so we fall short of it?

Not so much throwing matches but selling our best player and the severe lack of incoming transfers do suggest they don't want to finish top 6. Add to that a lot of the quotes attached to Pardew which belittle the Europa League and it does appear that they would rather not have the hassle. They've already accepted they aren't too arsed about Cup competitions so why would they want to qualify for another. I think you may be being naive.

Guest Roger Kint

OK cheers, might have to cancel, can't afford to have the money coming out the account. lol.

You'd think they'd send a letter out beforehand like!!

They did when you signed up to it, why would they tell you anything if its your job to inform them if you dont want to continue? Iirc the next dd will be for 2014/15's ticket

Not so much throwing matches but selling our best player and the severe lack of incoming transfers do suggest they don't want to finish top 6. Add to that a lot of the quotes attached to Pardew which belittle the Europa League and it does appear that they would rather not have the hassle. They've already accepted they aren't too arsed about Cup competitions so why would they want to qualify for another. I think you may be being naive.

Pardew wants to finsih as high up the league table as possible, to think otherwise is mental. The players themselves will be in the same boat trying to push for it as well, precisley why we are only 7 points of a champions league spot. Not that i think we are capable of getting in that position but at least they are keeping themselves in touch with the top 6 teams and not just folding away like other clubs have.

Well, given we also have no real interest in the cups (for similar squad depth reasons as Europe), surely that's the same thing?

Do you think the club would be pleased if we managed to finish in the Europa spots the season? We'd all be awaiting the draw and planning flights, the club would be bemoaning the expense and hassle.

Well, given we also have no real interest in the cups (for similar squad depth reasons as Europe), surely that's the same thing?

Do you think the club would be pleased if we managed to finish in the Europa spots the season? We'd all be awaiting the draw and planning flights, the club would be bemoaning the expense and hassle.

Well no, it's not the same thing at all. Many clubs see the Europa League as a hassle, and many clubs prioritise the PL over the cups. I don't like it but it's a fact, and it doesn't mean they aren't trying to finish as high up the league as possible.

Guest neesy111

Pardew wants to finsih as high up the league table as possible, to think otherwise is mental. The players themselves will be in the same boat trying to push for it as well, precisley why we are only 7 points of a champions league spot. Not that i think we are capable of getting in that position but at least they are keeping themselves in touch with the top 6 teams and not just folding away like other clubs have.

Pardew will want to finish higher, those at board level do not imo.

Pardew doesn't get what he wants, that's not the way the club is ran. The powers that be will be doing all they can to avoid another Europa League campaign. It's almost been admitted in interviews/fan meetings.

Well no, it's not the same thing at all. Many clubs see the Europa League as a hassle, and many clubs prioritise the PL over the cups. I don't like it but it's a fact, and it doesn't mean they aren't trying to finish as high up the league as possible.

Long-term, as in over several seasons, it is very hard to achieve beyond spending levels. Every club will want to finish as high as they can within a season, but ultimately there is a realistic cap on what they can do without committing more to spend. Europe and higher PL finishes all come with reward but to maintain it comes at a price- clubs have to make that choice. And if things turn against you, signings don't work out, you can be left investing but still failing to hold your position.

So when we look at the trend over recent seasons and take decisions in aggregate and not in isolation, the club has put its stall out to be middle of the pack. It will take any additional pluses (5th place) along the way and take measures if the plans are under great threat (last January). But there are short-term, in-season effects.

I hate the fact that we are happy operate within ourselves. We prefer profitable mediocrity and cap-doffing to our betters, as evidenced by the endless expectations management that punctuates every sentence which flows from the assorted club mouthpieces. 'Know your place' is the mantra of a club representing a city which has always railed against such a concept. Never mind season ticket prices or flogging players, who wants to be a paid-up, badge-wearing member of that club?

Long-term, as in over several seasons, it is very hard to achieve beyond spending levels. Every club will want to finish as high as they can within a season, but ultimately there is a realistic cap on what they can do without committing more to spend. Europe and higher PL finishes all come with reward but to maintain it comes at a price- clubs have to make that choice. And if things turn against you, signings don't work out, you can be left investing but still failing to hold your position.

So when we look at the trend over recent seasons and take decisions in aggregate and not in isolation, the club has put its stall out to be middle of the pack. It will take any additional pluses (5th place) along the way and take measures if the plans are under great threat (last January). But there are short-term, in-season effects.

I hate the fact that we are happy operate within ourselves. We prefer profitable mediocrity and cap-doffing to our betters, as evidenced by the endless expectations management that punctuates every sentence which flows from the assorted club mouthpieces. 'Know your place' is the mantra of a club representing a city which has always railed against such a concept. Never mind season ticket prices or flogging players, who wants to be a paid-up, badge-wearing member of that club?

I don't disagree with you, there's a lot of truth in all of that.

I just think that each individual matchday is interesting enough to want to watch it. That's where football is lucky. As I've said many times before, the bigger picture is incredibly depressing for most clubs in the world, now the top 4 or 5 are entrenched with oil money. (And yes, I know Ashley could spend a billion pounds on us if he wanted, but he isn't going to)

Pardew doesn't get what he wants, that's not the way the club is ran. The powers that be will be doing all they can to avoid another Europa League campaign. It's almost been admitted in interviews/fan meetings.

It's nonsense. The powers that be have said that the Premiership takes priority over cup competitions (inc. Europe presumably). Not that we don't want to be in them, they implied if nothing else it gave a chance for lesser squad players.

Pardew on the other hand has repeatedly said he wants to win something, and to get into Europe. He would prefer to have a squad capable of competing in it and has often voiced concerns over the format of the Europa League and wants it to change, but that does not mean he or the club want to finish lower in the league to avoid it ffs.