Transfer rumours

Yorkie

What happened to Joelinton then?

Just the media that hadn't mentioned it before, haven't mentioned it again even though they understood from their sources it was happening, and not at all reported based off one random Tweet.

I think it becomes a bigger issue if he leaves because it's unlikely he'll be replaced and with Hayden probably going, we'll suddenly look quite light in there, especially with the usual injuries and so forth.

I'd only have Andy Carroll back at NUFC on a 'pay as you play' (has any player ever been on a deal like that?) deal. He's injured again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/47574083

Would not mind given him a real contract, if free it is just a small gamble anyway. Would love for him to get his career back on track, especially with us. I am still sad, when remembering how he was forced out of the club, even though the deal ended up being great for us.

My 'pay as you play' suggestion wasn't serious. As far as I'm aware 'pay as you play' is a mythical contract option. Is it an option in the 'Football Manager' game or something? People seem to suggest it every time an injury prone player become available. I'm not aware of any player signing a contract which says they only get paid when fit to play.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

My 'pay as you play' suggestion wasn't serious. As far as I'm aware 'pay as you play' is a mythical contract option. Is it an option in the 'Football Manager' game or something? People seem to suggest it every time an injury prone player become available. I'm not aware of any player signing a contract which says they only get paid when fit to play.

It's a real thing

I wouldn't take Andy Carroll back at the club even if he paid us. Actually wait that's madness. I'd take Andy Caroll back at the club if he paid us 20M a year to sit on the bench when fit. Any arrangement other than this one would be a comical farce.

:thup: I struggle to see what he’d offer beyond the feels of having a hometown kid back in the side

It's a real thing

In lower leagues you only get an appearance fee at some clubs.

Okay, but basically it doesn't really happen in the Premiership.

Guest reefatoon

Can you afford to have him taking up a squad place even on a pay-as-you-play deal? If Rondon loses form or gets injured it’d be nice to have a back up striker who’s not injured for 2/3s of a season.

Carroll injured in the stands is still a better back up option than Joselu on the bench.

Pay as you play deals were very common in Germany about two decades ago, but even then players had a basic wage for their own security. That's about as far as my knowledge of it goes :lol:

Most contracts today by its very definition are pay as you play with bonuses for appearance, clean sheets, assists, goals, cup achievements, league position etc. I would be surprised if there was even one contract in the premier league that was base wage only without any other stipulations. Only thing is that the basic wage is usually so high these days that people don't think of it as a pay as you play contract.

Guest Howaythetoon

I'd only have Andy Carroll back at NUFC on a 'pay as you play' (has any player ever been on a deal like that?) deal. He's injured again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/47574083

Would not mind given him a real contract, if free it is just a small gamble anyway. Would love for him to get his career back on track, especially with us. I am still sad, when remembering how he was forced out of the club, even though the deal ended up being great for us Mike Ashley.