Sam Allardyce

Thespence

It's not really a story in terms of watching alone in a pub with a big mac - he was there doing a promo for William Hill.

Though it is glorious he isn't the England manager and is doing these things rather than at the World Cup.

Guest neesy111

It's not really a story - he was there doing a promo for William Hill.

Though it is glorious he isn't the England manager.

Never, coudn't see that on the photos.

It's not really a story in terms of watching alone in a pub with a big mac - he was there doing a promo for William Hill.

Though it is glorious he isn't the England manager and is doing these things rather than at the World Cup.

Good enough for me

It's not really a story - he was there doing a promo for William Hill.

Though it is glorious he isn't the England manager.

Never, coudn't see that on the photos.

Get your eyes tested then.

He's such a money grabbing cunt.

He's such a money grabbing cunt.

completely forget he's not in management anymore, he must be desperate for september/october time for some daft PL club to fire their manager and bring him in to save them with a £100m budget again

Guest Howaythetoon

It’s still staggering that the FA appointed him in the first place. Imagining how his England team would be at this tournament (providing we qualified under him) and watching how we are now doing under Southgate who I admit I considered an awful appointment at the time, makes you cringe and smile equally.

Big Sam of Bolton was a very good manager it must be said who at one point was ahead of the game off the pitch in terms of science, diet, fitness, phsycology and statisticswhich he used to great affect at Bolton.

Indeed what he achieved at Bolton was staggering looking back with a myriad for players that shouldn’t have worked on a budget that often saw him with a net spend of zero, but they did and very well at times all the same.

But for whatever reason he just didn’t have the kind of career he could have had. I championed his appointment at Newcastle at the time and considered him someone who could rebuild the club up from the bottom and create stronger foundations and I think he would have somewhat achieved that here under Freddy Shepherd for a year or two before fans tied of his football.

I think the job, however, overwhelmed him from the start and he didn’t know how to adapt to a job of that size at a club where simply surviving and being an underdog like at Bolton just wasn’t going to cut it with players, fans, media and pundits alike and of course a new owner who ironically now values the club on those lines a decade or so later.

When he was peddled, he went from club to club and built himself as a survival expert keeping clubs up or making sure they didn’t go down, but always at a big expense and a huge rate of player turnover with his style alienating fans and boring them to death to the point his stay was always going to be short term.

I think at Sunderland he probably had the perfect vehicle for him and his brand of football and his methods because they would have been delirious being a serial mid-table club beating the odd big team with Sam creating an us and them siege mentality which he was always good at.

But England come calling, his dream job, and he blew it because he values money more than anything even though he’s very wealthy.

Is he finished?

If your club is in danger of going down or you want someone to keep you up, he’s the man but I look at the likes of Dyche and Howe and others and see how they can keep a club up on modest resources without a huge turnover of players and spending daft money while also trying to play football and hope the likes of Big Sam are yesterday’s men, dying out.

Back to England... it doesn’t bear thinking about how we would fare in a WC under him and what kind of team he would put out.

What were the FA thinking?

• 8 months later...