Hatem Ben Arfa (still a free agent)

Dave

Crazy video. 14 goals and about 10 of them are absolute crackers. I probably enjoyed the very first he scored against Everton the most, although it's nowhere near the best of course.

Still can't believe we had a player of such natural ability and threw it away. If Pardew randomly knocked on my door right after I had watched that or similar HBA video I might have tried to choke him to death.

I’ll never get over the fact that we didn’t keep him. Especially given the shite we’ve watched since. I wish I liked any of our players now (kenedy aside given we don’t own him and never will).

We put him in the reserves and loaned him to Hull :lol:

Bet it was an Ashley decision because he knew we loved him ;-)

I’ll never get over the fact that we didn’t keep him. Especially given the shite we’ve watched since. I wish I liked any of our players now (kenedy aside given we don’t own him and never will).

We put him in the reserves and loaned him to Hull :lol:

By ‘we’ you mean that luminary and innovator of he game Alan Pardew. With honourable mentions for Shola and Coloccini.

• 2 weeks later...

I normally avoid this thread as I was one of his biggest fans and it still saddens and frustrates me that we had a player with such ability and somehow apart from a few beautiful, magical moments his time here was one mainly of frustration due to a variety of reasons.

Just watched his goal from tonight, stunning... not an exaggeration to say not many players in the world could do that, if Messi scores that it gets talked about and viewed millions of times. I miss the roar and excitement from the crowd that went up ever time he got the ball, players who evoke that kind of reaction are few and far between in today's game and especially at our club in the Ashley era.

Now I'm all depressed again  :weep:

One of the saddest things about the whole Ben Arfa situation was that he loved it here too. When we had season tickets in the Gallowgate West corner he would get a standing ovation coming over to take corners and he'd just have a massive fucking grin on his face as he strolled over. This club was fucking perfect for him and that cunt Pardew ruined it.

Guest firetotheworks

The full performance was pretty great as well. He should have had an assist as well but whoever he passed to missed.

Fucking miss this bloke. I remember being at Everton for his full debut. Cheiky (RIP) and him ran the show.

I was young and naively thought that squad was going to do something and we’d be enjoying NUFC again for a long time. Oh how wrong I was.

I'm wondering if I can remember a better debut than his at Everton. Jonas at ManU springs to mind but wasn't as significant. Cisse and Sissoko, different seasons but both against Villa, were pretty good but certainly not on the same scale. Ferguson at home to Wimbledon circa 98?