Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

I honestly think Bruces tactics have held this lad back but he doesnt want to rock the boat so he just does what he's told, he should be playing in the same position as Henderson at Liverpool but he sits so deep he's swamped by three centre backs and another holding midfielder right next to him, it seems like he barely has room to breathe during games

I honestly think Bruces tactics have held this lad back but he doesnt want to rock the boat so he just does what he's told, he should be playing in the same position as Henderson at Liverpool but he sits so deep he's swamped by three centre backs and another holding midfielder right next to him, it seems like he barely has room to breathe during games

His decision making with the ball has been shocking though, even in advanced positions - so it’s not a positional thing. He wants far too much time on the ball and gets caught on it so much or can’t hold his nerve and gives it away needlessly. He needs time out of the team imo, he’s not currently good enough.

Young footballer in form dip shocker!

It's been a 'form dip' since he cam back from injury :lol:

Aye, his first bad injury and he came back into a team that hasn’t got a clue how to keep the ball or move up the pitch in a cohesive way.  But aye crack on blaming him 👍

Well that is what is most perplexing. Under Rafa his retention of the ball under pressure was impressive. It's always one of the qualities which strikes me from a player. But then Rafa had players moving in very clear channels, maybe the decision making was easier for players like Longstaff. Under Bruce there is probably far less clear instruction and he's getting caught on the ball while he looks for a team mate.

His decision making with the ball has been shocking though, even in advanced positions - so it’s not a positional thing. He wants far too much time on the ball and gets caught on it so much or can’t hold his nerve and gives it away needlessly. He needs time out of the team imo, he’s not currently good enough.

So what’s changed? The thing that made him stand out last season was his ability to make space to give him extra time on the ball. That’s a basic ability/skill that some players just have.

He was injured, is he still struggling? Did all the links with Man Utd mess with his head? I don’t believe it’s all down to Bruce ruining a talent.. it’s those basic things that you can’t coach a player that have gone missing.

He was properly coached and played within a system that allowed him and most other players to perform and improve last season. With that comes confidence, you trust your surroundings and yourself. Rafa gives you that. Bruce doesn't.

bang on

My take on this lad is that with all the praise he got last season, he now expects to have more time on the ball.

It was noticeable that when Matty came on yesterday, he was much better than his older brother.

Sean needs told not to dither. One or two touches maximum, in our own half.

Minhosa called it.

He's been outstanding.

This guy would benefit hugely from another couple of years under Rafa's tutelage to fully blossom.

He'd probably be shite under a PFM but under Rafa it's like his role has been completely drilled into him and he's sticking to it.

Love how calm on the ball he is. He nevers looks flusterered.

My take on this lad is that with all the praise he got last season, he now expects to have more time on the ball.

It was noticeable that when Matty came on yesterday, he was much better than his older brother.

Sean needs told not to dither. One or two touches maximum, in our own half.

Nail head hit.

There's a few things imo, certainly playing deeper for a start.

The hanging onto the ball thing, imo, is partly system based coupled with the above. He's not got the options for a pass he had last year when he looked good. We were playing well at that time and people were making moves into space all the time so he could move the ball on quickly and then move into space himself.

Now he's getting the ball very deep with only really long, direct passes to look for and that's clearly not something he's comfortable with therefore he's looking about longer for options all the time.