Paul Dummett

Guest palnese

He looks competent at CB and he just looks like someone who has CB qualities rather than anything that would make him a left back.  He's solid in the air, a solid tackler and seems to be okay positionally.  He isn't great on the ball, doesn't have a great range of passing and doesn't have any kind of Baines like left foot.  So to me, we'd be far better off using him as a centre back.  When we get Santon back, we have him and Haidara, so we're covered at left back.  It's centre back where we're really short, especially after the brilliance of loaning out Yanga-Mbiwa.

Surprised he started at centre half, thought for sure Williamson would have been back in.

Don't rate him at left back but he's done well at centre half. Good honest pro, lacking a bit in quality but you can rely on him to give his all.

No reason he can't become a full back in the Ivanovic mould in time. Not saying he'll ever be as a good, but with an effective wide attacking player in front of him you can't complain if he's defending well and a strong attacker of the ball in both boxes. Having a full back who doesn't need to be wrapped in cotton wool and allows attacking players to attack is a pretty big advantage.

He has been ok at centre back in this spell. If we bear in mind he seems to rarely ever play centre back then he should get better with more games. He has looked more solid than Iron Mike or Taylor but it might be more to do with the fact the team is a bit more cohesive at the moment. We know colo is an excellent centre back but he's looked like boumsong at times and thats not a lack of talent its a lack of solidity in the side with a team set up to soak up and get one on the break which we weren't doing, we were just pissing around for 90 minutes.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

He has been decent and quite composed given that he rarely played in that position. Maybe it's because of the balance in the back four, 2 right-footed  on the right and 2 left-footed on the left? When Santon was fit we had 4 right-footed defenders playing at the same time, which is theoretically always a disadvantage .I'd like to see Willo or S.Taylor paired with him before making a definitive judgment.

No reason he can't become a full back in the Ivanovic mould in time. Not saying he'll ever be as a good, but with an effective wide attacking player in front of him you can't complain if he's defending well and a strong attacker of the ball in both boxes. Having a full back who doesn't need to be wrapped in cotton wool and allows attacking players to attack is a pretty big advantage.

Fucking hell total rebrand coming with full paragraphs and many words, I love it. Totally agree fwiw.

Centre half has been an inappropriate term since they changed the offside rule in 1925, from 3 men to 2, and it became necessary to drop the centre half back into a position between the two full backs. It's lasted an insanely long time though.

The usual 1-11 numbering system is based on the pre-1925 system of 2-3-5, with two full backs numbered 2 and 3, 3 half-backs 4 to 6, and 5 forwards 7 to 11. Despite the fact that formations are now very different, the old numbers have an influence, particularly in defence.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest firetotheworks

Y'know how people were rightly embarrassed about the whole mentioning of Beckham in the Ryan Taylor debate?

Yesterday someone mentioned that the reason we'd been doing so well was because of Janmaat and Dummett and described them both as 'excellent players'

I said that it was over the top and although Dummett had done a job admirably well, he's still a defender that hoofs it and a defender that does that when under the slightest bit of pressure can never really be described as excellent.

The guy brought up a comparison to back up the idea that excellent players hoof it...you ready?...Carlos Puyol. :spit:

Y'know how people were rightly embarrassed about the whole mentioning of Beckham in the Ryan Taylor debate?

Yesterday someone mentioned that the reason we'd been doing so well was because of Janmaat and Dummett and described them both as 'excellent players'

I said that it was over the top and although Dummett had done a job admirably well, he's still a defender that hoofs it and a defender that does that when under the slightest bit of pressure can never really be described as excellent.

If that's his biggest weakness he'll be our starting CB for a long time.

Guest firetotheworks

I don't even know what you're debating here. He's had a good run of defending in a side that's been winning for once, that's it. He still hoofs a lot, therefore he's no good in my eyes until he stops that.