Paul Dummett

Guest palnese

6 year deal? Want him to stay, but why do we have to keep every young player for 100 years? Look at the Ranger situation. Very few of them will come really good.

Because otherwise he might leave for 1p less than he might have been worth otherwise.

No biggie anyway. He won't be on big wages and if he fails to make the grade, we can offload him to St Mirren or something.

The only possible concern is he will go all Ranger and think he has made it with the long contract and subsequently lacking motivation to improve. Well, Ranger is the extreme case but we have seen young players getting cocky and fail to progress.

Haidara has looked very promising in the glimpses we've seen of him. IMO both he and Dummett will overtake Santon, if they've not already done so.

Santon doesn't look nimble enough to be a good full back. He only has to be slightly out of position to be completely beaten whereas good full backs have the speed and agility off the mark to recover. He's okay going forward, but I still think he would be better on the right.

I can see Santon being the main LB this season, but I've no qualms with plans to replace him within the next 18 months, assuming he doesn't drastically improve. Aye, he's young, but he's been a permanent fixture in the side for a year and a half now and I see no discernible improvement thus far; he needs to kick on this season. Hopefully the competition will help but I'm not sure.

I'm not sure why but Cronky always spoils himself when discussing defenders. As if Dummett and Haidara (particularly) may have 'overtaken' Santon. Load of crud.

I haven't seen anything from the two reserve fullbacks to make me think they will be starting quality Premiership players in the next two seasons. First of all, one of them should be on loan once injuries clear and both should be given time to develop before being thrown to the lions. I do rate Santon significantly higher than some people on here though, admittedly.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/paul-dummett-set-sign-new-6264990

By Lee Ryder

Paul Dummett signs new six-year deal with Newcastle United

2 Nov 2013 10:20

Geordie defender Paul Dummett has signed a new six year deal with Newcastle United

Paul Dummett has agreed a new six year deal with Newcastle United.

The Chronicle revealed that Dummett had put pen to paper on Thursday and United today confirmed the new contract.

The Geordie boy has signed a structured pay as you play deal which also includes an increased salary.

Dummett, who is injured for tomorrow's clash withe Chelsea, is understood to have been pleased to get his future sorted out after weeks of speculation.

However, his recent performances have not gone unnoticed.

Indeed Hull City have been tracking the defender and were interested in the fact his previous deal was set to expire at the end of the season.

Dummett is an example of how the Magpies are eager to bring talent through the ranks.

Dummett said today: "I am delighted to secure my long term future with Newcastle United, like so many local lads it has been my boyhood dream to play for this club and now I am looking forward to repaying their faith in me and working hard to be the best possible player I can be.

"This is a great moment for my family and so many others who have supported me over the years and I would like to thank them all."

Meanwhile Alan Pardew also added: “Paul fully deserves his new contract and we're delighted for him.

“He has been with us since the age of nine, progressing through our Academy which is great testament to the work they do in developing young players. It also demonstrates to youngsters in the region that a pathway exists for them, provided they have the right attitude, commitment and ability, to move through the ranks into the first team.

“He has made great progress in the last year, benefitting enormously from his spell at St Mirren last year.

“His performances this season for us have been first class and we were all delighted he scored his first goal for the club against Liverpool, and a very important one at that.”

And director of football, Joe Kinnear added: "We're delighted that Paul has committed his long term future to the club.  In reality this was never in doubt as we wanted Paul to stay and as a Geordie Paul made it clear that the only place he wanted to play was Newcastle United - it was just a question of finding the right deal for both parties which we have managed to do.

"It's vitally important that we give young talent the platform to develop a career at Newcastle United and that we retain and develop the region's best players.  Paul has been given a great opportunity with us and he's grasped it and performed well in the first team during pre-season and in recent games.

"We hope that Paul will follow in the footsteps of current players Tim Krul, Steven Taylor and Shola Ameobi, who have come through the Academy and contributed hugely to this club like many others before them.

"It confirms our belief that there is local talent out there for us to identify and nurture through the club and that our strategy in respect of this can - and will - bear fruit.  Paul's achievement should give encouragement to our Academy to keep up the great work and also sends a strong positive message to young local players that if you are good enough then there will be opportunities at this club."

Good news imo, he isn't going to do a Ranger, looks a decent player and won't be on much.

He also seems desperate to play (unlike some) so I can't see him just sitting it out if he isn't getting enough chances.

We do give out needlessly long contracts though :lol: there must be a reason behind it.

Good news imo, he isn't going to do a Ranger, looks a decent player and won't be on much.

He also seems desperate to play (unlike some) so I can't see him just sitting it out if he isn't getting enough chances.

We do give out needlessly long contracts though :lol: there must be a reason behind it.

max valuation if we sell them