Paul Dummett

Guest palnese

I would persevere with Debuchy and Santon for the time being but Dummett needs to be getting all the cup games and some sub time in the league if its appropriate. Give it another 6-8 weeks and Debuchy will either have improved or been dropped IMO.

Guest Haris Vuckic

I think Dummett and Santon are the same age. Not relevant but it's a curious stat given how much Davide has under his belt compared to say Dummet and Ferguson (also 22?)

I blame Thatcher.

Dummett looks like a top quality full back in the making. Potentially far better than anyone we've got at the moment. We should be giving him experience at every opportunity.

Regardless of how you rate Dummett at the moment, it's not like either Santon or Debuchy are looking all that great.

Guest Haris Vuckic

I rate Dummett highly. I'd have him pushing for Santon's place tbh.

Pardew placed a lot of support in him during the preseason & it's to see why. PLAYA.

For me, Debuchy has been pretty consistently poor this season, including last night.  I am not writing him off altogether but when you have a player clearly not performing he needs to be dropped.  That alongside the fact that Santon's lack of a left foot is really frustrating me and I think affecting our attacks and the fact the Dummett has played well the 3 times he's been on the pitch means that I would take the chance.  We can't just stick with Debuchy while he's playing poorly just because the other option isn't experienced.  And Dummett may have things to learn but he's shown a maturity and well roundedness to his game when i've seen him and the only way this'll develop is by getting some games.

I thought Debuchy had good games against Fulham and Villa.

Fair enough, maybe i'm being too knee jerk, but there certainly has to be a point where Debuchy loses his place if his performance level does not improve and Santon at right back might be a risk but one worth taking in my opinion (and the only option if Debuchy does lose his place).  I'd also drop Cisse for Gouffran while i'm at it.  Cisse has been the clear weak point in the team so far.

I would persevere with Debuchy and Santon for the time being but Dummett needs to be getting all the cup games and some sub time in the league if its appropriate. Give it another 6-8 weeks and Debuchy will either have improved or been dropped IMO.

I'd agree with this, but not 6-8 weeks. If Debuchy doesn't make a marked improvement in the next 2-3 matches, he needs to sit for youth.

I also don't understand the Santon criticisms at all. He had a poor second half of last season but was very useful in 2012 and has looked very solid and athletic thus far this season. As someone mentioned, he's the same age as Dummett and has made a big contribution to the team since his arrival here.

I'd agree with this, but not 6-8 weeks. If Debuchy doesn't make a marked improvement in the next 2-3 matches, he needs to sit for youth.

I also don't understand the Santon criticisms at all. He had a poor second half of last season but was very useful in 2012 and has looked very solid and athletic thus far this season. As someone mentioned, he's the same age as Dummett and has made a big contribution to the team since his arrival here.

I think that Santon is comfortably our best fullback, I just think there could be a much higher ceiling in his ability if he can learn to play right back as he just does not have a left foot (though he seems to be trying a bit more this season).

Having watched the goals again, I actually think Dummett's pass down the line was better than Sammy's cross. Sure, it was a great cross from Sammy, but that pass absolutely made it. It was inch perfect and sat up gloriously for Sammy, who just had to use the height on the ball to dink it across. It was a cracking ball from Dummett - through opposition players and with the exact right height and pace on it.

Dummett seems reliable enough but once Haidara is fit, I would rather play the Frenchman. We could do with more pace and power in the team. Agree that we should try Santon on the right again for a couple of games. Debuchy is being targeted as a weak link by our opposition atm.

Pace doesn't matter that much really.... Haidara is very quick but has the positional sense of an epileptic rabbit on speed.

Dummett on the other hand doesn't really seem that quick doesn't ever seem to get caught out of position so far.... even against Navas he always gave himself a few extra yards to combat against his pace.

The problem with Debuchy at the moment is he's slow and his positional sense is crap as well.... leading to what you see now.

The problem with Debuchy at the moment is that his head's in completely the wrong place, imo. Just doesn't look like he wants to be there at all. I dare say there's a good player there somewhere but he's fucking horrific atm. Hate seeing players like that, just mentally all wrong.

The problem with Debuchy at the moment is that his head's in completely the wrong place, imo. Just doesn't look like he wants to be there at all. I dare say there's a good player there somewhere but he's f***ing horrific atm. Hate seeing players like that, just mentally all wrong.

Think Cisse and Cabaye have the same problem tbh.

• 3 weeks later...