Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

Nothing about him reminds me of Carrick. Not that he wasn't an immense player in his own right. He's just a different midfielder with a different style of play. Longstaff is more attack minded and would score/assist many more than Carrick did if he went on and fulfilled his potential.

Longstaff will be the first 100M English player in the next few years.

So we are suggesting Carrick didn’t reach his potential?

The £100m is a mad statement at this point. 7 starts.

That's not what I meant. I just think he's more attack minded than Carrick was. Not suggesting he's better or even close to him yet. If he were to reach that level though, he would be scoring and assisting more simply because he's a more attack minded player.

I think he looks more like a Frank Lampard type of player.

Calm on the ball, good decisions, good passer and a good shot.

He was the best centre midfielder on the pitch away to Chelsea, Spurs and at home to Man City, Huddersfield, Burnley (Haven't seen his other few games).

I'd say it is worth getting carried away. To see a footballer who has virtually no experience of the top flight dominate some of the best footballers in the league if not the world is a rare sight. He stood out like a sore thumb against Huddersfield and Burnley, streets ahead of what they have. He oozes class and his composure is something I haven't seen for Newcastle for a very, very long time. The way he just pushes players off the ball and gets out of sticky situations then puts us on the front foot is beautiful.

:coolsmiley:

Not sure why there's such an obsession with trying to say which former player he's gonna be like? Let him be his own player. Likes to win the ball back, makes himself available for the ball, good range of passing, great stamina, doesn't panic and got a decent cross and shot on him.

We need to get voting on this.

If there wouldnt be any Liverpool players available hed might have a shot. Liverpool fans are trying so hard to be passionate that it becomes embarrassing for everyone involved. Like when they voted Salahs goal against Everton to be goal of the year, probably as they couldnt stand the idea of Bales goal against them in the CL final getting any more recognition

The constant debate building up to the West Ham game about who’s better out of him and Declan Rice is weird. Championing who will be better for England... it’s embarassing.

It’s definitely Longstaff.

I mean, can be deleted if needs be, but does scoring on his first match with the senior team warrant a thread?

Surprised by how big he is. Didn't look small next to Diame and Shelvey and they're both big lads.

Really rooting for him. Would like to see someone force their way into the team and he looks like he could make the grade.

This lad knew.

His range of passing is really excellent. And he can run a bit.  Defensively aware.

did well after a dodgy start on the ball i thought, which was encouraging

people comparing him to rice pre-game...now i've seen more of rice i don't know why as longstaff seems much better on the ball and rice much better defensively from limited viewing

I thought he'd got done by Snodgrass even thought he got the free kick and Longstaff got a yellow, him leaving on crutches sort of confirms that.

Agreed. I honestly thought the ref was gonna book Snodgrass.

He’s far more attacking minded than Rice, if anything they would make a great pairing for England at some point down the line.

Didn’t have a great half today. West Ham just swarmed us out the wings so it was impossible to keep the ball.

I thought he'd got done by Snodgrass even thought he got the free kick and Longstaff got a yellow, him leaving on crutches sort of confirms that.

Agreed. I honestly thought the ref was gonna book Snodgrass.

It was a 50/50 at best, they both did the same thing. Yellow was very harsh.

Thought he was lucky to only get a yellow today, have seen other refs go red due to the speed he went into that tackle

I've watched the replay and even in slomo it's difficult to see what happens, because it's so fast. So I wouldn't have been surprised by a red. But if you look at the shape of Longstaffs legs just before the tackle, it was perfectly legit.

Never a red card in million years, yellow was harsh imo as well. Aye he got there second but not every tackle is a booking, not that you would think the way the game is officiated now but Longstaff tackle was genuine, without excessive force and wasn't in anyway studs up.

It was a 50/50 ball, no one really did a foul. I’m kind of sick of the mentality that just because you make contact and don’t get the ball it’s an automatic foul and at least a yellow card. It makes 50/50 balls impossible to go for, it would also mean that any shoulder barge is now an automatic foul.

West Ham played the referee well yesterday, but the referee wanted to be played by them. Any sort of contact or even if it looked like we were going to make contact then they went down and the referee was giving it.