Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

As good as they both are, neither come close to his ability.

This so called ability showed up like once or twice a game if you're lucky. We're way better off without him.

Agree I think the shelvey bus has left

Diame aswel back up from now on-

Nice to have some options though- bar rondon and dubs have options every area now

If he stays fit I won't bet against Shelvey. We are a different side with him starting imo. I'd love to see him and Matty in the middle, likewise Ki. Thats harsh on Hayden who is doing some unsung defensive work the previous two would struggle with. Shelvey with a bit more freedom to break forward would be excellent. He just seems a bit broken body wise this season but that is due to playing through the pain. Time will tell.

Shelvey is very limited. You need to build the team around him and you know where the ceiling is. Meanwhile Longstaff is a lot more all round and you can partner him with different types of players or adopt different formations.

This kid really does seem to be the real deal. He looks so calm and composed on the ball. Hayden seemed to be wondering forward too much in the second half. Excited to see how far he progresses this season.

Very good point on the Chronicle podcast made by one of the pundits on it that we still haven't seen Longstaff's full repertoire. For once I agree with them. He can be devastating playing as an attacking mid, almost as a number 10. He's just such a talented footballer that he's been able to sit in that midfield and do a job following Rafa's instructions.

Hopefully we'll see him given licence to get forward more as every time he's anywhere near edge of the opponents' area something positive seems to happen for us.

He's been truly outstanding and worth the hype. Not surprising considering his talent.

Guest neesy111

It's strange how he flew under the radar them bam.

Yeap, I'm finding it strange why he wasn't given an opportunity a little earlier now.  Guessing he's just stepped up to the level when he needed to.

His development has been similar to Kane at Spurs. Nobody expected Kane to become the player he is now, but with injuries and out of form players Kane took his opportunity just like Longstaff. We should remember Benitez did block Longstaff moving to Portsmouth on loan last summer so maybe he did see a good player in Longstaff, but wanted to ease him in much later in the season.

It's strange how he flew under the radar them bam.

This....

I thought bang average and will never make it, as ever Rafa knows, he is the modern midfielder personified.

Credit to his side kick Hayden mind.Some decent talent can’t even get in the match day squad now.