Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

I just think if you gave our players as many chances as they do in Spain, we'd be seeing a lot more English players make that step up. I'm not saying it's not a big step up, but you don't know if a player will make it if they never get that chance. You can imagine they will or won't. It's not like loads of people have been clamouring from Longstaff to be a regular starter over the last 3 years, yet here we are.

Yeah I agree we don't give them as many chances, but I don't personally think there is a production line of talent waiting below the first team at PL clubs trying to get through. The loan system is fine and should be used all the time, these players wont learn a thing playing against their own age ranges. They need to be playing comp football against pros and grown men.  It's completely ludcirous that Woodman is still here and not out on loan. Very detrimental

The problem is the levels they end up loaned to. Longstaff doing from Blackpool to keeping Man City quiet is mental.

Makes you wonder if it's worth giving more incentives to Champ clubs to start taking them. Not sure what form that would take though. Maybe a clause in the loan deal that gives them first refusal on the player if they go up? Maybe a set fee to make the deal permanent at the end of the season that reduces the more games they play?

At the moment it just doesn't seem worth it for Championship teams.

Why should Championship clubs take them when there are absolutely stacks of players in the Championship worthy of PL football that bigger clubs won't take a chance on? It's the same issue really, PL clubs prefer to shop abroad when the Championship is absolutely full of good young British players and usually the only way they ever get a go in the top flight is when their club gets promoted. The gap between the top flight and the Championship is much smaller than it was a few years ago.

It also makes you wonder why the fuck we persist with Joselu when we could be bringing another youngster through. We know Joselu won't score, won't assist, will barely contribute and will absolutely not trouble the opposition, regardless of who it is. It couldn't be a more perfect situation to bring someone through from the youth ranks. There is literally nothing to lose.

It also begs the question - what can be done to make the reserves leagues more competitive so it's less of a perceived risk to bring a reserve player into the first team? 

Some sort of U21s Champions League might be a good start - a chance to see how the reserve players fair against quality opposition. Obviously it would take some serious organising but it's be better to watch the domestic reserve football.

It also makes you wonder why the fuck we persist with Joselu when we could be bringing another youngster through. We know Joselu won't score, won't assist, will barely contribute and will absolutely not trouble the opposition, regardless of who it is. It couldn't be a more perfect situation to bring someone through from the youth ranks. There is literally nothing to lose.

It also begs the question - what can be done to make the reserves leagues more competitive so it's less of a perceived risk to bring a reserve player into the first team? 

Some sort of U21s Champions League might be a good start - a chance to see how the reserve players fair against quality opposition. Obviously it would take some serious organising but it's be better to watch the domestic reserve football.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Youth_League

The problem for the Premiership is that the huge amounts of money involved in either staying up or trying to reach the Champions League mean that clubs are reluctant to risk young players. The huge amounts of money involved also make it too easy to buy ready made, experienced players from abroad.

On Longstaff, two or three times a game, the opposition will try to close him down and he just drifts past them with the ball into open space. That's quite a rare quality in a midfield anchorman - or at least an English one. Looking at who we've got, Dier looks like a defender who's a bit out of his comfort zone, and Henderson, good player that he is, doesn't have that particular ability.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Youth_League

See, fucking mint idea.

Because he has scored, he has contributed. I know he's a bad player, but what are the alternatives. Throw Sorensen in? He might do well but I'd be very surprised, he most likely wouldn't get a kick. He needs to go to a football league club and learn how to play in that environment.

Plenty of players have come through from reserve football straight into the premier league and succeeded. The striking position here at the moment is a very difficult one to play admittedly, but I don't see the harm in giving someone like Sorensen minutes ahead of Joselu. What's the point in having these backup players if we don't allow them the opportunity to sink or swim?

we’re not a team with the luxury of seeing how a few young ins will do when thrown in

Said every team in the PL. The only time it's suitable to throw in an unknown prospect unless there's injuries would be for a team towards the end of the season that is safe from relegation and has too big a gap between the team above and below it for it not to matter whether they win or lose.

If he was called Longstaffio and we'd signed him on loan from Napoli last month, we'd all be desperate to sign him permanently.

He's been outstanding.

This guy would benefit hugely from another couple of years under Rafa's tutelage to fully blossom.

He'd probably be shite under a PFM but under Rafa it's like his role has been completely drilled into him and he's sticking to it.

Love how calm on the ball he is. He nevers looks flusterered.

I just think if you gave our players as many chances as they do in Spain, we'd be seeing a lot more English players make that step up. I'm not saying it's not a big step up, but you don't know if a player will make it if they never get that chance. You can imagine they will or won't. It's not like loads of people have been clamouring from Longstaff to be a regular starter over the last 3 years, yet here we are.

Yeah I agree we don't give them as many chances, but I don't personally think there is a production line of talent waiting below the first team at PL clubs trying to get through. The loan system is fine and should be used all the time, these players wont learn a thing playing against their own age ranges. They need to be playing comp football against pros and grown men.  It's completely ludcirous that Woodman is still here and not out on loan. Very detrimental

The problem is the levels they end up loaned to. Longstaff doing from Blackpool to keeping Man City quiet is mental.

Makes you wonder if it's worth giving more incentives to Champ clubs to start taking them. Not sure what form that would take though. Maybe a clause in the loan deal that gives them first refusal on the player if they go up? Maybe a set fee to make the deal permanent at the end of the season that reduces the more games they play?

At the moment it just doesn't seem worth it for Championship teams.

Why should Championship clubs take them when there are absolutely stacks of players in the Championship worthy of PL football that bigger clubs won't take a chance on? It's the same issue really, PL clubs prefer to shop abroad when the Championship is absolutely full of good young British players and usually the only way they ever get a go in the top flight is when their club gets promoted. The gap between the top flight and the Championship is much smaller than it was a few years ago.

The prospect of getting in on the ground floor on a young, English player with proper potential. I think most Champ teams would have snapped your hand off if you'd offered them a Ryan Sassegnon or Will Hughes type player with the option of buying them at a cut price if they do well or shipping them back if not. I think the harder sell would be convincing Prem teams to agree to part with them if they do well.

It's a daft idea though. We'll just have to make do with loaning the poor buggers to Motherwell and Carlisle and hoping they actually get on the pitch once or twice.

I'd hope we use this to at least have some belief in trying them more often.

I really like the look of Barlaser too from when he's played before and he looked good in the FA Cup the other week. Would like to see him get games at some point.

I'd hope we use this to at least have some belief in trying them more often.

I really like the look of Barlaser too from when he's played before and he looked good in the FA Cup the other week. Would like to see him get games at some point.

Hopefully see Barlaser on Sky Friday vs sunderland.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

His development reminds me of Kane. Nobody expected them to make it in the Premier League, but decent coaching and taking their chances because of injury or poor form from other players has meant they have taken their opportunity.

Kane the wrestler, aye?