Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

Tidy passer, moves the ball quickly, never stops running and puts a tackle in. Fantastic so far. He's not only competing with the opposition but he's standing out in games. Definitely a one to watch for the future.

Guest firetotheworks

Really impressed with this lad like. I tend not to get carried away with local talent coming through, purely because I worry about the standard of coaching they're being given, but there don't seem to be any worries with this lad so far. Very calm, neat and tidy, seems intelligent with it, a good engine, and a good attitude. Obvious comparison, but I actually do see shades of Carrick in some of his play.

Delighted Rafa has kept faith with this lad, gets better with every passing game. Plays with an assured composure well beyond his years and makes it all look easy. His best game yet tonight and can count himself extremely unlucky not to be going home with three points.

Needs to work on making himself available from the back 3 when they’re under a press but near flawless otherwise.

I noticed that too. Wasn't sure if it was his positioning or if the players had just been told to concentrate on working the wings. Would be mad if that was the case though because he's one of the only players confident enough to play a decent forward pass that isn't a long ball. We need to be getting him on the ball as much as possible.

Was a make or break season for him this. He's not a young talent anymore at 21. If you're not good enough at that age these days it is very unlikely that you will make it at this level at all. Glad he's taken his chance and showed that he can perform.

It does make you wonder why he wasn't brought through into the first team until we faced a midfield crisis. If we'd have had our central midfielders fit this season he probably wouldn't have got a look in and we'd still be wondering if he was ever going to make the step up. Given the class and experience of our manager and coaches you'd think they'd have recognised how good he is well before now.

Anyway, he's class and it's nice to see another academy player coming through and doing well, especially in such an important area of the pitch.

It does make you wonder why he wasn't brought through into the first team until we faced a midfield crisis. If we'd have had our central midfielders fit this season he probably wouldn't have got a look in and we'd still be wondering if he was ever going to make the step up. Given the class and experience of our manager and coaches you'd think they'd have recognised how good he is well before now.

Anyway, he's class and it's nice to see another academy player coming through and doing well, especially in such an important area of the pitch.

Aye, if a player gets to 21 without ever being anywhere near the first team you start to suspect the coaching staff just know they won't cut it.

If we don't see a player lighting up before they're 18, they might as well not exist. Nice to see Longstaff bucking the trend.

I'm more of the opinion that there are probably loads of lads in academies across the UK that don't get a look in that are more than capable of playing premiership football. It's not that UK academies are loads worse than Spanish ones, it that we never give our own a chance. We buy in players from abroad who have been given their chances in less high pressure leagues, paying the premium for not having to take a chance on them.

I just think if you gave our players as many chances as they do in Spain, we'd be seeing a lot more English players make that step up. I'm not saying it's not a big step up, but you don't know if a player will make it if they never get that chance. You can imagine they will or won't. It's not like loads of people have been clamouring from Longstaff to be a regular starter over the last 3 years, yet here we are.

It’s a fair point about the circumstance that led to getting his chance.

Rafa has to trust the youth setup because new players coming through can’t always be because of an injury crisis.

On the flip side, we’re not a team with the luxury of seeing how a few young ins will do when thrown in.

Hayden has been a good partner for him in the middle, also did great last night too. Be harsh to drop him for Diame straight away.

It's a very interesting point that Longstaff probably would not have been given this opportunity had our "1st choice" central midfield pairing not been unavailable. I'm sure there are numerous similar situations around other clubs throughout their histories. I'm not one to get overly excited or enthused but these recent performances are not some flash in the pan but are a player who knows his position is calm and makes good choices with the ball. Watching him talking to Rafa during the match had me saying to myself we've got a player here.

I just think if you gave our players as many chances as they do in Spain, we'd be seeing a lot more English players make that step up. I'm not saying it's not a big step up, but you don't know if a player will make it if they never get that chance. You can imagine they will or won't. It's not like loads of people have been clamouring from Longstaff to be a regular starter over the last 3 years, yet here we are.

Yeah I agree we don't give them as many chances, but I don't personally think there is a production line of talent waiting below the first team at PL clubs trying to get through. The loan system is fine and should be used all the time, these players wont learn a thing playing against their own age ranges. They need to be playing comp football against pros and grown men.  It's completely ludcirous that Woodman is still here and not out on loan. Very detrimental

The problem is the levels they end up loaned to. Longstaff doing from Blackpool to keeping Man City quiet is mental.

Makes you wonder if it's worth giving more incentives to Champ clubs to start taking them. Not sure what form that would take though. Maybe a clause in the loan deal that gives them first refusal on the player if they go up? Maybe a set fee to make the deal permanent at the end of the season that reduces the more games they play?

At the moment it just doesn't seem worth it for Championship teams.