Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

I thought he was plenty athletic, just the fact he ran a kilometre more than anyone else took its toll towards the end.

Biggest compliment you can pay him is that he took Diame's place and I didn't really notice Diame not being there off the ball. Any hairy moments seemed to come through Hayden.

Decent on the ball. Not much of an athlete.

Agree in terms of his athletic dynamism, but he’s obviously got a seriously good engine, and can provide very good ‘legs’. Clearly you need plenty more than that at PL level, but he had at least showed a decent range of passing in the second half, and looking at his goals on loan to Blackpool, he has a canny dig on him too. Early days, but certainly a bit of promise.

Distance covered is a poor indicator tbh.  Number and intensity of sprints is far more important.  You want players who can do shit loads of sprints at a high intensity across the 90 minutes and not just someone who can run at 3/4 pace across the 90.

Athleticism can easily be trained though, look at Diame.

Pretty sure Diame was always athletic as he is now. :lol:

Longstaff is a tidy player with decent awareness, but I agree that he doesn't maybe have quite enough athleticism for the top level. I remember when Steve Watson made his debut (at 16 I think) his pace and athleticism stood out even at that age. Maybe Longstaff will develop it.