Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

Am I the only person who didn't know that when someone takes a penalty that player cannot play the ball a 2nd time unless it has touched someone else ?

How else would it work? If not, you could just tap it closer to goal first. :laugh:

Am I the only person who didn't know that when someone takes a penalty that player cannot play the ball a 2nd time unless it has touched someone else ?

I thought that was obvious?!

Remember the Henry/Pires penalty shambles a while back?

I can yeah but I didn't realise that if the ball directly hits the woodwork, and then ends up back at the feet of the penalty taker without anyone else touching it, if the pen taker touches the ball it's a freekick to the side who conceded the pen.

What's happened to the 6 second rule for goalkeepers holding the ball in their hands? Now they can comfortably hold the ball for 10-15 seconds without any hassle

What's happened to the 6 second rule for goalkeepers holding the ball in their hands? Now they can comfortably hold the ball for 10-15 seconds without any hassle

It was scrapped. Now the rule is the same as for say throw ins or whatever, i.e no specific time, but you can't intentionally time-waste.

It was scrapped. Now the rule is the same as for say throw ins or whatever, i.e no specific time, but you can't intentionally time-waste.

It wasn't, it is still in the laws of the game, you just don't see refs enforce it very often.

Am I the only one who thinks that these "Fair Play" financial rules that UEFA is supposedly introducing will amount to absolutely nothing? I predict no significant change to the landscape of top flight European football other than further corruption and inequality. You cannot stop money with rules.

Nope. It's a massive red herring IMO.

Decent excuse for not spening any money at this stage ever though.

Sorry guys, we really wanted to spend the money we got from Carroll and the other profits we made from last year, but that was in last year's accounts before the financial fair play rules kicked in. If we spend it now it'll mean we make a loss this year and those damn bureaucrats in UEFA would stop us from playing in the Champions League in 2013.  :angry:

We'll just have to pay off some of the debt to Mike instead. :(

Never mind, cheer yourselves up with the news that we're finally going to reward Shola for his years of dedication to the club with the recognition he deserves. Three cheers for Newcarsles new number 9!

It wasn't, it is still in the laws of the game, you just don't see refs enforce it very often.

They very rarely hold it for more than 6. I often count them, at most they reach 6. ONly time I remember it being enforced was Bolton v us, with Shearer scoring resultant fk!

i'd like to know how long a game would take to complete if the watch was stopped everytime the ball went dead so we actually 90mins of game time.

Sure you used to be able to select that option on older versions of FIFA (that's a computer game btw ;)).

i'd like to know how long a game would take to complete if the watch was stopped everytime the ball went dead so we actually 90mins of game time.

Sure you used to be able to select that option on older versions of FIFA (that's a computer game btw ;)).

i had FIFA 98 aswell for the playstation.

ISS/PES would do it automatically in the earlier editions aswell. The '10 minute' games would last quite a while.

Why isn't there goal-line technology? Serious question here, what actually are the fundamental arguments against it, in the eyes of the footy bosses?

I think the big reasons are:

- The want to keep the game flowing

- The cost

- The inability to implement it across all levels of football

:sadnod:

For the big games (the televised leagues, World Cup, CL etc.), sticking the fourth official on the touchline with various monitors/angles would improve the standard of decisions ten-fold.

Low cost and it allows the game to flow as the official would be watching in real time - Sky can easily pull up a replay in seconds.

The only issue comes with tight calls, where video technology would only add to the debate.

Why isn't there goal-line technology? Serious question here, what actually are the fundamental arguments against it, in the eyes of the footy bosses?

Blatter wants parity and consistency. So if cameras are going to to be put into the posts of Premier League games then they need to go into every goalpost in every game in every league in every country. It's a romantic philosophy that each game of football is unique and cherished and the rules are consistent regardless of ability.

Kids in the park use the same set of rules as the pros in the Premier League. It's a nice idea but he's out of touch.

Guest Heneage

It would be a nice idea if it wasn't already flawed with the likes of linesmen, fourth officials and the extra two officials in Europe.

It would be a nice idea if it wasn't already flawed with the likes of linesmen, fourth officials and the extra two officials in Europe.

Put it that way... yeah, i guess his own logic is flawed.

Hmm. It's a contentious issue. Can't really make up my mind. The whole thing about the flow of the game is definitely a load of cock and balls though.

There's absolutely no reason why there shouldn't be goal-line technology. Infact, it's almost farcical that there isn't.

Quick look at a camera, buzzer in the ball, hawkeye. Anything, makes no difference, once it's in place there can be no argument and confusion.

It wouldn't ruin the flow of the game AT ALL. Infact, because there would be no arguing the decision it would prevent the ensuing melee that always follows one of these incidents.

The top leagues are different, not because of the game but because of the finances, that is the sad reality. A ball bouncing around the line could mean Champions League football, relegation, the Premier League title and millions of pounds for the clubs involved, it could be the difference between winning and losing a World Cup. Money shouldnt be a factor, but it is. If a side fighting relegation from the Premier League needs 3 points in their last game, if they are drawing and put the ball marginally over the line in the last minute, but the linesman doesnt see it, its not given and they go down. The financial implications of that relegation could see that team go bankrupt and possibly cease to exist. Goal line technology avoids this and rightly so, if a team scores a goal it should be given. Its madness that we can look at the goal on MOTD and even in replays seconds later yet the officials cant look at it at the same time as us and make the decision.