Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I mean you can't dictate to people how they raise their kids - but the money goes to Mike Ashley regardless. That's the trade off people have to judge.

:thup:

Fine if you want to take your kid to the match, but don't fucking complain when others who have taken a harder stance criticize you for helping to fund Ashley after almost 12 years of complete trolling and mismanagement to fans.

It's like the chants against Ashley on Saturday man, it's complete hypocrisy to the max.

I'm not complaining. I'm trying to make you see possible reasons why people still go. If you, and others on here (you know who you are), don't appreciate the reasons and learn to accept them, then you'll never formulate an effective strategy for getting Ashley out. Because boycotts / walk ins etc are just never going to land with the vast majority of the fanbase.

As I've previously said on here, get at Sports Direct. That's all he cares about.

Don't think thats true. People just seem to have an incredibly high tolerance of being shat on by something they love. Doesnt mean that there isn't a limit though.

Maybe... maybe things will change when Rafa goes, but if you're wanting to get as many people on board right now with forms of protest, affecting the matchday experience isn't going to be got behind, in my opinion.

Sadly it's the only thing that will cause change and that's why it needs to be pushed. There's no concrete value in getting people behind some group or movement if those people arent willing to make the personal sacrifice to push him out.

You think that's the only thing that'll work? Despite clear evidence that the big push on social media against Sports Direct and his brands was getting a reaction out of him?

What's the point boycotting Sports Direct if you're then going to hand over £500+ to sit surrounded by Sports Direct signs in what was once called the Sports Direct arena. Sports Direct and NUFC are intertwined. We might as well be called Newcastle United a Division of Sports Direct.

No wonder he sits there laughing.

I mean you can't dictate to people how they raise their kids - but the money goes to Mike Ashley regardless. That's the trade off people have to judge.

Fine if you want to take your kid to the match, but don't fucking complain when others who have taken a harder stance criticize you for helping to fund Ashley after almost 12 years of complete trolling and mismanagement to fans.

It's like the chants against Ashley on Saturday man, it's complete hypocrisy to the max.

I'm not complaining. I'm trying to make you see possible reasons why people still go. If you, and others on here (you know who you are), don't appreciate the reasons and learn to accept them, then you'll never formulate an effective strategy for getting Ashley out. Because boycotts / walk ins etc are just never going to land with the vast majority of the fanbase.

As I've previously said on here, get at Sports Direct. That's all he cares about.

Don't think thats true. People just seem to have an incredibly high tolerance of being shat on by something they love. Doesnt mean that there isn't a limit though.

Maybe... maybe things will change when Rafa goes, but if you're wanting to get as many people on board right now with forms of protest, affecting the matchday experience isn't going to be got behind, in my opinion.

Sadly it's the only thing that will cause change and that's why it needs to be pushed. There's no concrete value in getting people behind some group or movement if those people arent willing to make the personal sacrifice to push him out.

You think that's the only thing that'll work? Despite clear evidence that the big push on social media against Sports Direct and his brands was getting a reaction out of him?

Had on a second here, didn't you say before that the Spurs boycott and protest had no effect on Ashley going on Sky and then allowing the club to spend £80m? But now there's clear evidence that the social media campaigns have worked? :lol:

Had on a second here, didn't you say before that the Spurs boycott and protest had no effect on Ashley going on Sky and then allowing the club to spend £80m? But now there's clear evidence that the social media campaigns have worked? :lol:

I think there's clear evidence that they were working and that he was reacting to them, yes. Because it was happening over a prolonged period of time. Sports Direct had to stop tweeting for 2 weeks for christ sake. That kind of thing is major to a business like his.

The Spurs boycott was a one-off of people not showing up who had already paid, so yes, I don't necessarily think that had any correlation whatsoever with him happening to spend a bit of money several months later.

Guest alijmitchell

1. “Sports direct is all he cares about” - as evidenced by protests, it’s not.

2. I want to bond with my son - like there aren’t a thousand other things that could be done

Wish people would consider that, collectively we could have more power to change a situation where all our kids might have an actual fucking football club to support in future, rather than putting their own self-interest first.

I think there's clear evidence that they were working and that he was reacting to them, yes. Because it was happening over a prolonged period of time. Sports Direct had to stop tweeting for 2 weeks for christ sake. That kind of thing is major to a business like his.

The Spurs boycott was a one-off of people not showing up who had already paid, so yes, I don't necessarily think that had any correlation whatsoever with him happening to spend a bit of money several months later.

That second boggles my mind given he came out on TV directly after it. Then that followed. I’m not saying it 100% did but it was bad far the most effective protest done and then that happens. Yet you can dismiss it entirely.

Agree with first part although the only true way anything will work is if you take up so much bandwidth that it’s more hassle than it’s worth and that means considering matches as one of those avenues. They’ve now chosen to largely ignore the SM stuff because the stuff posted looks like a bunch of mentals posting memes

That second boggles my mind given he came out on TV directly after it. Then that followed. I’m not saying it 100% did but it was bad far the most effective protest done and then that happens. Yet you can dismiss it entirely.

Agree with first part although the only true way anything will work is if you take up so much bandwidth that it’s more hassle than it’s worth and that means considering matches as one of them.

?

Just listen to yourself. Making out that them not tweeting for TWO WEEKS is major and boycotting a game doesnt have an effect.

For christ sake indeed.

The lenghts people go to justify their actions is unreal.

2. I want to bond with my son - like there aren’t a thousand other things that could be done

Wish people would consider that, collectively we could have more power to change a situation where all our kids might have an actual fucking football club to support in future, rather than putting their own self-interest first.

And I would wish people would stop getting on their soapbox's and pretending to be a better fan than another just because their opinion differs.

I get it, it's what you and your Dad did, but as if there isn't a million and one other things you can do to bond with your kid.

that's harsh. what if that what your kid wants to do.

i have boys aged 11 and 12 and they are obsessed with the toon, and going home and away. they know all the songs from down the years thanks to all these youtubers.

they know what ashley is doing to this club and they hate his guts but they still want to go - "but it's ok dad, we'll not go today if you don't want to," they said on saturday.

it's fucking heartbreaking.

Agree with first part although the only true way anything will work is if you take up so much bandwidth that it’s more hassle than it’s worth and that means considering matches as one of them.

?

Well not directly - poor wording but April into May. Bit harsh mind if SP wants to take his lad.

And I would wish people would stop getting on their soapbox's and pretending to be a better fan than another just because their opinion differs.

And once again here's the standard response when there's nothing more to say.

Guest neesy111

It's only you that's saying this, funny that......

Guest firetotheworks

While you're here Shadow Puppets[/member] , I asked this when you were making the same points a while back but never got an answer.

Aye, it is. Attack his business interests apart from this one which we must continue to funnel money into unconditionally.

That’s exactly the point. I, along with thousands others, are happy to get at him in every way we can other than stopping going. Why should we allow one man to stop us doing our hobby. Surely he wins. Maybe not financially, but his agenda wins if he makes it unbearable for us to be there.

As long as Rafa is there or there’s something worth supporting I will be there. Happy to boycott a single match, sure, but not give it up.

Surely you can see that you've just invented that bit in bold to vindicate yourself? It makes no sense, why would his agenda be to make it unbearable for you to keep going? His agenda is to make money and you're giving him money, it's really no more complicated than that.

What's with the stick on saying you want to bond with your kid at football, no one is saying there aren't other things to do. I've done loads of other things with mine when they were nippers but there's nothing like going to football with your little un.

The problem a parent has know is kids grow up so quick, do you make them miss something so special now because of Ashley ? A thing you'll never be able to do if Ashley stays for a few more years.

Just listen to yourself. Making out that them not tweeting for TWO WEEKS is major and boycotting a game doesnt have an effect.

For christ sake indeed.

OK go on then, I'll bite...tell me how exactly 10,000 people not going to 1 game they'd already paid for had any effect on Mike Ashley?

As someone who works in marketing, yes, for a company the size of Sports Direct the inability to tweet for 2 weeks (plus all the other negativity surrounding his brand... the bad reviews on Trustpilot, the bombardment of his other brands etc) is a major issue.

The fact remains that if you want people to get on board with a boycott, you're going to have to convince 95% of NUFC fanbase to give up something that they love doing (regardless of the quality on the pitch). If it really is to be pursued, the only way to do it is through a steady stream of information being given out prior to games (leaflets with facts about Ashley's reign etc), and a lot of good and positive cooperation with fans. Mud slinging at people who don't want to do it just makes you look aggressive, and if there's one thing that people don't like, it's being told what to do.

My personal feeling is I would be absolutely willing to boycott one game (though I don't believe it would have much effect), but I will never stop going entirely unless I thought there was nothing worth supporting any more. I'm not at that stage... yet.

While you're here Shadow Puppets[/member] , I asked this when you were making the same points a while back but never got an answer.

Aye, it is. Attack his business interests apart from this one which we must continue to funnel money into unconditionally.

That’s exactly the point. I, along with thousands others, are happy to get at him in every way we can other than stopping going. Why should we allow one man to stop us doing our hobby. Surely he wins. Maybe not financially, but his agenda wins if he makes it unbearable for us to be there.

As long as Rafa is there or there’s something worth supporting I will be there. Happy to boycott a single match, sure, but not give it up.

Surely you can see that you've just invented that bit in bold to vindicate yourself? It makes no sense, why would his agenda be to make it unbearable for you to keep going? His agenda is to make money and you're giving him money, it's really no more complicated than that.

Yeah, I agree in hindsight my point there doesn't make much sense. What I was trying to get across was that giving into my hatred of Ashley and stopping going to the games affects my enjoyment, my kid's enjoyment etc. That feels to me as he has won in some way because his presence has made me stop doing something I love.

Yeah, I agree in hindsight my point there doesn't make much sense. What I was trying to get across was that giving into my hatred of Ashley and stopping going to the games affects my enjoyment, my kid's enjoyment etc. That feels to me as he has won in some way because his presence has made me stop doing something I love.

While i think you shouldn't go, the sentence highlighted is surely something everyone can understand, or at least get their head around a bit.

See, what you're really saying there is that Ashley wins regardless, so you may as well carry on doing what you want to do in spite of it.

Guest firetotheworks

For christ sake indeed.

OK go on then, I'll bite...tell me how exactly 10,000 people not going to 1 game they'd already paid for had any effect on Mike Ashley?

This one I replied to Elcid with a while back clears most of what you've said there up.

People who aren't arsed about boycotts and protests generally don't hire a PR firm (KBA) to specifically tackle them.

Then there's the following:

"The Spurs boycott genuinely shocked Ashley and made NUFC the highest spenders in Europe as a result" - Luke Edwards and corroborated by George Caulkin at a Talk in last December, from a source close to Ashley.

https://twitter.com/bigchrisholt/status/1058112196302041090?s=09

Then there's:

Keegan protest - Ashley immediately puts the club up for sale and puts out his first woe is me statement including "I've got the message, you don't need to protest"

Hull protest – KBA attempt to undermine the protest by announcing Jonas' cancer after they'd treated him terribly. Extra security on turnstiles and banners removed from protesters.

Singing section sings about Ashley - Ashley removes the singing section.

TMG starts - Ashley goes on Sky to lie and his KBA goons (Keys, Gray, Wise, Jordan, White, Ferdinand) go on to defend him.

Sportsredirect – Ashley hires a new law firm to have site shut down

Protest movement starts to target Sports Direct - Major Sports Direct shareholders literally advise other shareholders to vote against Ashley as CEO at the following AGM because "negative media stories about Ashley have damaged the company's public image."

Keith Bishop overheard at an airport assuring someone calling on behalf of Ashley that "Don't worry, it'll all blow over in a month"

Ponteland meal – Ashley resorts to sticking his Vs up at protesters

Approached by fan in London – Ashley tries to start on him.

Approached at the committee last week - "Please don't bother me no more"

11 minute walk in – match stream is turned off in foyer.

Wolves boycott - goes on Sky to announce that club is as far along as it's ever been to being sold, local journalists and True Faith remove backing for protest, protest cancelled.

That's just off the top of my head with me on my phone, if I was on the computer I'd have sources and links for all of the above. There are also plenty of other examples, including his fake bid set up with Sky and David Craig (KBA client again), his general thin-skin over everything.

So yes, he does care. He cares because it affects Sports Direct.