Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Aye, it is. Attack his business interests apart from this one which we must continue to funnel money into unconditionally.

That’s exactly the point. I, along with thousands others, are happy to get at him in every way we can other than stopping going. Why should we allow one man to stop us doing our hobby. Surely he wins. Maybe not financially, but his agenda wins if he makes it unbearable for us to be there.

As long as Rafa is there or there’s something worth supporting I will be there. Happy to boycott a single match, sure, but not give it up.

You've said yourself all he cares about is money. How does he win if you stop giving it to him? :lol:

Your position is that you are thwarting him by giving him £500+ a year unconditionally and indefinitely. This position, to any impartial observer, is completely fucking mental.

Btw there isn't anything worth supporting there. Hasn't been for years.

Firstly I never said “unconditionally and indefinitely”. There are limits for everyone, but as I say, I’ve supported through much worse. It will get better. I guess I just don’t believe people not showing up will make the slightest bit of difference.

Sports Direct and it’s branding is all he cares about, hence the PR machine going into full force when they were under attack. Focus on that.

Guest chopey

Actively taking money out of the club for his own personal use whilst all departments are criminally underfunded, and then raising ticket prices by 25%

I don't agree that people are being told what to do when people say to them, they are wrong for going to the games. They are telling you, you are part of the problem. This cannot be denied. The fact is if you go to the games and aren't willing to do anything about that you are part of the problem. By the way, this season, I am part of the problem. I made the decision that if Rafa stayed, I would also stay. I didn't pay my direct debit on time and they still allowed me to keep my season ticket, so when I knew he was staying I kept it on. At the time I had hoped if Rafa was staying it meant Ashley was off. Turns out this isn't the case. I have however took part in all the protests including walking into the ground late. My little bit for being stupid enough to buy a ticket. I won't be renewing my ticket this time round though.

Guest firetotheworks

Aye, it is. Attack his business interests apart from this one which we must continue to funnel money into unconditionally.

That’s exactly the point. I, along with thousands others, are happy to get at him in every way we can other than stopping going. Why should we allow one man to stop us doing our hobby. Surely he wins. Maybe not financially, but his agenda wins if he makes it unbearable for us to be there.

As long as Rafa is there or there’s something worth supporting I will be there. Happy to boycott a single match, sure, but not give it up.

Surely you can see that you've just invented that bit in bold to vindicate yourself? It makes no sense, why would his agenda be to make it unbearable for you to keep going? His agenda is to make money and you're giving him money, it's really no more complicated than that.

You've said yourself all he cares about is money. How does he win if you stop giving it to him? :lol:

Your position is that you are thwarting him by giving him £500+ a year unconditionally and indefinitely. This position, to any impartial observer, is completely fucking mental.

Btw there isn't anything worth supporting there. Hasn't been for years.

Firstly I never said “unconditionally and indefinitely”. There are limits for everyone, but as I say, I’ve supported through much worse. It will get better. I guess I just don’t believe people not showing up will make the slightest bit of difference.

Sports Direct and it’s branding is all he cares about, hence the PR machine going into full force when they were under attack. Focus on that.

What's your limit? I assume it's having to go and watch us play Grimsby and Exeter?

Guest firetotheworks

When have you supported through worse than this?

1978-1982 and 1990-1992

What did you do about it at the time?

I wasn’t alive for one of those periods. But it’s been worse is a low bar standards wise and it’s myopic thinking imo. If back then was worse than renaming hundred year old stadia to flog tat for the benefit of an ethical vacuum, throwing people under the bus who have cancer and being an industrial lie machine who deliberately withhold funds from the team and a coach who is a paragon of sporting achievement and professionalism, then I’m glad I wasn’t around. My niece and nephew weren’t either though, or my children. What am I to tell them to grow up being proud of? Grandad had it worse?

Not naive enough to think football has to be the invictus games but it’s hard to be proud of much when we’re so willing to let our own history and stature be dragged through the mud so passively.

Guest firetotheworks

I wasn’t alive for one of those periods. But it’s been worse is a low bar standards wise and it’s myopic thinking imo. If back then was worse than renaming hundred year old stadia to flog tat for the benefit of an ethical vacuum, throwing people under the bus who have cancer and being an industrial lie machine who deliberately withhold funds from the team and a coach who is a paragon of sporting achievement and professionalism, then I’m glad I wasn’t around. My niece and nephew weren’t either though, or my children. What am I to tell them to grow up being proud of? Grandad had it worse?

As far as I can tell it's contentious anyway. I know a few that have said the Ashley era is the worst they've experienced and there have been some that have posted about it on here too.

As far as I can tell it's contentious anyway. I know a few that have said the Ashley era is the worst they've experienced and there have been some that have posted about it on here too.

To be fair they're similar in some ways and different in others.

We were in the 2nd tier 78-82 and 90-92 and nearly in the 3rd tier at the back end of the 91/92 season BUT between then and Ashley taking over we've seen how good things could be and that clouds things a bit.

1978-1982 and 1990-1992

And to be fair, I was 10 in 1978 so couldn't have cared less how shit it was as I was a starry eyed kid and just wanted to go to the match.

1990-92 I went home and away every week missing only the odd away game and even though the football was mostly atrocious it was a laugh with mates and was pissed most of the time anyway.

To be fair they're similar in some ways and different in others.

We were in the 2nd tier 78-82 and 90-92 and nearly in the 3rd tier at the back end of the 91/92 season BUT between then and Ashley taking over we've seen how good things could be and that clouds things a bit.

In a perverse way league/league position clouds things now. I speak from a place of almost complete ignorance of those periods though.

League position is neither here nor there. Sunderland fans will look back far more fondly on this season than any of the half dozen they spent clinging to life in the Premier League.

Newcastle United as it is is completely without purpose, which is far more important than whether we're 11th or 14th. To what end are they actually playing football?

It's supposed to represent the city and the people and I fucking hope it doesn't because it's nothing more than a pathetic empty shell, useful only as a billboard for cheap socks.

The problem with the boycott has always been the potential to divide fans. I think TMG have done their best to try and avoid that, however they have been stabbed in the back from others who use NUFC as a way to gain attention from themselves, and to be honest those people are probably helped by Ashley owning the club.

I don’t think we should be arguing or even discussing it anymore. Some people have breaking point past others, some don’t have one at all. In all honesty the majority of the passionate fans have gone or are waiting until the end of the season, this is evidence in our support both at home, and the increase in rowdy teenagers on drink and drugs at away games.

I have been a supporter since my dad first took me to a game in 1954. There have been hugely disappointing and frustrating periods during those years but they can't be compared to what is happening at the club now.  For what it's worth the current scenario has gutted me more than at any other time.  I don't believe any protests or boycotts will make one jot of difference to Ashley.  He is here for as long as he wants to be and the only thing that would force his hand would be the collapse of SD and the rest of his empire.  I won't buy anything that I think comes through one of his companies but all that does is give me a little personal satisfaction.  Mike Ashley doesn't think 'Bloody hell, Jims not coming into my shop anymore'

Sadly we are lumbered with this guy until he, and only he, decides otherwise

Guest covmag

I have been a supporter since my dad first took me to a game in 1954. There have been hugely disappointing and frustrating periods during those years but they can't be compared to what is happening at the club now.  For what it's worth the current scenario has gutted me more than at any other time.  I don't believe any protests or boycotts will make one jot of difference to Ashley.  He is here for as long as he wants to be and the only thing that would force his hand would be the collapse of SD and the rest of his empire.  I won't buy anything that I think comes through one of his companies but all that does is give me a little personal satisfaction.  Mike Ashley doesn't think 'Bloody hell, Jims not coming into my shop anymore'

i believe he's selling, just no one will pay the price, he doesn't have to lower it, the club is his. 

1978-1982 and 1990-1992

And to be fair, I was 10 in 1978 so couldn't have cared less how s*** it was as I was a starry eyed kid and just wanted to go to the match.

1990-92 I went home and away every week missing only the odd away game and even though the football was mostly atrocious it was a laugh with mates and was p*ssed most of the time anyway.

But even back then, it was always the hope that kept you going......hope that you'd have a decent cup run, and one day we'd be back in the big league.

There is literally no hope nowadays, especially when Benitez goes at the end of the season.

i believe he's selling, just no one will pay the price, he doesn't have to lower it, the club is his.

So he's not selling then?