Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think it's clear now that the partisan Newcastle fans that will go no matter what, far out number the "thinkers" that actually take a step back and realise for the sake of the future of the club we need this bloke out.

Ashley is in a position where no matter what he does he will still have a passive quite crowd at Newcastle for two reasons blind loyalty and swan necking

Another perfect example of why you'll never get the fans onside. You and several other posters on here think yourself to be "better" than them for not going to games. It's fucking weird man. People just have different priorities and different things going on in their lives. For some, NUFC is their main passion / hobby. The sooner people on here stop calling them "sheep" and thinking they're better than them, the better. Just accept their opinion, and look for a way to get at Ashley that most people can get on board with.

:lol: What, you don't think NUFC is/was the main passion/hobby for those who've walked away because they don't want to fund what's happening to it like you do?  You absolute plum.

No I don't think that at all, why? I said everyone's circumstances and reasons are different, so you should just accept their stance and move on to finding a way to get at Ashley that is going to get more people on board.

Well in that case, TBG, covmag, Wullie, Neesy, Kid Icarus etc, you are NEVER EVER going to get the fans to do what you want. You share the same mindset as most fans as to who the main problem is... but you are miles away from sharing/understanding the mindset of the 36000 people who paid to go to the Blackburn game for example.

If you want any campaign against Ashley to be successful, you need to understand how people think. You need to find a protest solution that doesn't involve not going to the games. Because a boycott is NEVER EVER going to happen. That much should be completely clear to you now.

Prolonged protests and attacks on his business interests... that is what will / has hurt him. Focus on that. I know loads of people who are right behind those efforts, but know hardly anyone who will stop going to games.

Well there you go, already got 36000 people who are capable of protests and attacks on his business interests. How's that going?

What have you done personally, out of interest?

I'm an active member of The Magpie Group and Ashley Out. Why?

To clarify, I've been to all of the protests, and helped out with organisation of bits and bobs.

Good man. Just another 35999 people to convince then.

As has already been proven, huge numbers of people are well up for campaigns against Ashley on social media or against his stores.

So you'd expect them still to be happening, no? Or are people needing leadership?

I've seen very little evidence that 36000 are getting involved tbh.

I think people absolutely need leadership, yes. And no, not all 36000... you only need a couple of thousand to really make it work.

I fear that with the economy as it is, the fat cunt will always be picking up business from his SD tat.

That’s not a slight on folk that shop there, btw, it’s just a sad indictment of the predicament we’re in.

Guest firetotheworks

Well in that case, TBG, covmag, Wullie, Neesy, Kid Icarus etc, you are NEVER EVER going to get the fans to do what you want. You share the same mindset as most fans as to who the main problem is... but you are miles away from sharing/understanding the mindset of the 36000 people who paid to go to the Blackburn game for example.

If you want any campaign against Ashley to be successful, you need to understand how people think. You need to find a protest solution that doesn't involve not going to the games. Because a boycott is NEVER EVER going to happen. That much should be completely clear to you now.

Prolonged protests and attacks on his business interests... that is what will / has hurt him. Focus on that. I know loads of people who are right behind those efforts, but know hardly anyone who will stop going to games.

:thup: You're basically saying what I said but in a different way. I've been against 'trying to get the fans to do what we want' for a long time now because it's a waste of time, the mindset inside SJP is that you're a fan, but that fan action should be presented on a silver platter to decide on whether you want to take part or not. My mindset is if you're a fan, you're against Ashley, and you want him out, you're part of the same movement and you put the effort in, not act like fan groups are a separate entity that you're a customer of. You put the effort in, even if it's something as unbelievably basic as arriving 10 minutes late to the match. If you don't that's your choice, but that doesn't make you or your support immune to criticism.

This whole idea that there's something noble about going to matches is in my experience largely horseshit anyway. The atmosphere in SJP is absolutely rank for a start. It's not everyone of course, but there are plenty that go on like going to the match is some sort of weekly pilgrimage and they'd rather die than not support the lads when there's a boycott on, when in reality all that culminates in is any combination of sitting in silence, cheering a slide tackle out for a throw-in, leaving early, and/or booing at the end. There's nothing remotely helpful about any of that.

As far as I'm concerned it's basically about showing off about how much you've endured, promoting-failure-as-a-badge-of-honour, and basically showing off or virtue signalling about how much of Ashley's shit they can fit in their mouth and how it's nothing compared to how much of McKeag's shit they had in their mouths in the '80s, as if blind endurance is more impressive, more noble, more worthwhile than dissenting him in any form. Many will fall over themselves to try and claim that there's something magical about their support when imo it's just about routine, selfishness, and spite. Imo the people I'm describing are vindicating Ashley in the only language he understands; money, and they have absolutely no right to complain. Again, it's important to be very considered on this one and once again make the point that it's not everyone, especially not our away fans, before anyone's triggered, but it's still enough for it to be shameful and it's very much been my experience from past protests. So no, I'm not talking about the lovely granddad and his grandson in the Werther's Original advert that many seem to collectively view our fans as, I'm on about the part of our fanbase with the obvious hypocritical bell ends who will mock, scream at, spit at, and start on protesters for having the gall to protest against the man they claim to hate.

I'm glad that we can all agree that it's a waste of time though. None of what I've said will sink in with anyone because so many are completely delusional about what they think their support is.

I think it’s a fair point to say attack his business interests because he cares about that more, though it’s a weird mental leap to make a separation between Newcastle and the rest of his portfolio, solely because it happens to be a hobby of yours. Debate the semantics of the word ‘support’ re: Ashley day and night but pounds volunteered to his arse pocket that never see the team is a weird one to be able to take too much offence to.

Blackpool are in a similar position with their cunt of an owner and they’ve managed to boycott en masse.

But then maybe they care more about their club and the bigger picture than our fans who still go.

I don't know why 'stopping going to games until he's gone' and 'missing one game' are so often discussed like they're the same thing. Even at the height of protest organisation and with the maximum amount of backing, over 30,000 useless arseholes still went to that Spurs game in 2015.

Assuming nothing happens re a takeover/transfers, I still think it should be tried again after the transfer window one last time. A big, orchestrated effort with constant reminders and requests to boycott a game in late Feb/early March. If there's still no appetite from the masses at that point, in spite of the utterly desperate context, we can know for sure that the collective fanbase are never going to contribute to Ashley's removal, and we can all just save ourselves from the effort.

Agreed - to be honest, I can see some of the arguments for people still going on a regular basis if they want to - people have their own reasons.  But to sacrifice one game?  There shouldn't be a single fan who isn't prepared to get behind that.

Guest reefatoon

Blackpool are in a similar position with their cunt of an owner and they’ve managed to boycott en masse.

But then maybe they care more about their club and the bigger picture than our fans who still go.

If we dropped down to the lower league's for a prolonged period, that's what would happen here too. The partisan brigade would be nowhere to be seen. The loyalty would soon disappear.

Well there you go, already got 36000 people who are capable of protests and attacks on his business interests. How's that going?

What have you done personally, out of interest?

I'm an active member of The Magpie Group and Ashley Out. Why?

To clarify, I've been to all of the protests, and helped out with organisation of bits and bobs.

Good man. Just another 35999 people to convince then.

As has already been proven, huge numbers of people are well up for campaigns against Ashley on social media or against his stores.

So you'd expect them still to be happening, no? Or are people needing leadership?

I've seen very little evidence that 36000 are getting involved tbh.

I think people absolutely need leadership, yes. And no, not all 36000... you only need a couple of thousand to really make it work.

What would it take for you to stop going?

Good to read some interesting points of view in this thread. It's what N.O. does best. Football and its " fans" has changed dramatically since my heyday of going home and away regardless of league or opposition. I have criticised the current crop for not being prepared to protest against MA but I remind myself that in my aforementioned heyday there were sometimes only 14 or 15 thousand in attendance. I think people have stopped ( like me) attending but the sport us so popular at present that we've been replaced by the new breed.

I think people who stop going permanently are doing it more out of hopelessness than protest. I certainly would be.

I chucked my season ticket in 2015 because it felt like being kicked in the bollocks and repeatedly going back for more.  I hoped a lot of my mates would do the same but most if them are just jacking in now.

I think it’s a fair point to say attack his business interests because he cares about that more, though it’s a weird mental leap to make a separation between Newcastle and the rest of his portfolio, solely because it happens to be a hobby of yours. Debate the semantics of the word ‘support’ re: Ashley day and night but pounds volunteered to his arse pocket that never see the team is a weird one to be able to take too much offence to.

Great point.

Guest alijmitchell

I'm constantly wondering about the best way to start a movement to oust him. I think it has to be long term, it has to ignore boycotts for now, but be focused on growing the number of people on our side, bit by bit, by somehow creating a fraternity, culture and vibrancy - something people want to be part of. Whether this be through socials, events, media whatever. Not totally ignoring a boycott but building enough power for that to be meaningful eventually. Basically TMG was doing this successfully, until the boycott plans came out.

Aye, it is. Attack his business interests apart from this one which we must continue to funnel money into unconditionally.

That’s exactly the point. I, along with thousands others, are happy to get at him in every way we can other than stopping going. Why should we allow one man to stop us doing our hobby. Surely he wins. Maybe not financially, but his agenda wins if he makes it unbearable for us to be there.

As long as Rafa is there or there’s something worth supporting I will be there. Happy to boycott a single match, sure, but not give it up.

Aye, it is. Attack his business interests apart from this one which we must continue to funnel money into unconditionally.

Agreed, if he was using the income at the club to improve the squad and the infrastructure, then maybe you could justify spending money there....but he isn't. You can't pretend you're boycotting Ashley & SD, and continue to put cash into NUFC, it really is that simple.

That’s exactly the point. I, along with thousands others, are happy to get at him in every way we can other than stopping going. Why should we allow one man to stop us doing our hobby. Surely he wins. Maybe not financially, but his agenda wins if he makes it unbearable for us to be there.

As long as Rafa is there or there’s something worth supporting I will be there. Happy to boycott a single match, sure, but not give it up.

You've said yourself all he cares about is money. How does he win if you stop giving it to him? :lol:

Your position is that you are thwarting him by giving him £500+ a year unconditionally and indefinitely. This position, to any impartial observer, is completely fucking mental.

Btw there isn't anything worth supporting there. Hasn't been for years.

he wins by completely desecrating, running down, and taking the piss out of an entire city and a club and having 50k people pay the guy for it.

Maybe. There’s more than one way to look at it.