The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

Criticism of Howe really irks me like.

Bournemouth have spent 10 seasons in their entire history above the 3rd tier of English football - seven of them under Howe. They are a League 1/League 2 club and always have been. He took over when they were bottom of the Football League on -17 points and took them to the Premier League. There's never been a job like that done in my lifetime, it is astonishing.

Like, you might not want him in charge of Newcastle, or think he's good enough to take a bigger job, that's all fine, whatever. But to say some of the stuff I see written about him, that he's a bog average manager who's done an average job, just fuck off. This attitude that pervades English football that you're basically not worth your salary unless you can conquer the Premier League is awful.

I think Howe is a quality manager.

What ultimatley let Bournemouth down is their player recruitment.

They have spent some decent amount on players but none have really worked out. They seem to take massive risks on young players at other top clubs that might become something e.g. Jordan Ibe and Solanke. Only time it kind of paid off was with Ake. Considering the money that has been available to them, still using the likes of Gosling we got rid of eons ago is pretty crazy.

I think Howe isn't too strong i the recruitment area and so just needed a team that could get him better value, particularly from overseas.

I would have him over Bruce in a heartbeat in our current setup as he would get far more out of the players we end up getting in even as things currently are.

They have spent some decent amount on players but none have really worked out. They seem to take massive risks on young players at other top clubs that might become something e.g. Jordan Ibe and Solanke. Only time it kind of paid off was with Ake. Considering the money that has been available to them, still using the likes of Gosling we got rid of eons ago is pretty crazy.

I think Howe isn't too strong i the recruitment area and so just needed a team that could get him better value, particularly from overseas.

I would have him over Bruce in a heartbeat in our current setup as he would get far more out of the players we end up getting in even as things currently are.

Completely agree. They were stitched up well by Liverpool, fleecing them for talent that simple never performed.

Howe would be perfect for us given he wouldn't have a say in transfers.. I mean he wouldn't get transfers either but could have a few loans.

Maybe he will still be available when Bruce gets sacked for us being bottom near the end of 2020?

Agreed, and Ake was a loan the first season as opposed to the others mentioned. Would be interesting to see what he can do with a team of better players than he had at disposal at b'mouth.

Criticism of Howe really irks me like.

Bournemouth have spent 10 seasons in their entire history above the 3rd tier of English football - seven of them under Howe. They are a League 1/League 2 club and always have been. He took over when they were bottom of the Football League on -17 points and took them to the Premier League. There's never been a job like that done in my lifetime, it is astonishing.

Like, you might not want him in charge of Newcastle, or think he's good enough to take a bigger job, that's all fine, whatever. But to say some of the stuff I see written about him, that he's a bog average manager who's done an average job, just fuck off. This attitude that pervades English football that you're basically not worth your salary unless you can conquer the Premier League is awful.

:thup:

Somewhat excited to see what comes next for him. He's the sort of manager that, in a non-Ashley world, I'd be sceptical but yet massively on board with were we to appoint him.

I generally loathe the suggestion that clubs have ceilings or have reached their limit but I think, given that Bournemouth are such a small club, they probably did hit a ceiling. That 4-3 against Liverpool a few years ago, for instance, and going on to finish in the top half, must surely be reasonable enough a peak for any club with gates of about ~12000 and who's spent the majority of its existence in the third and fourth tiers. I mean, what sort of players or management or investment could that club reasonably expect to recruit/achieve beyond the standard they did. Howe's transfer record has been really questionable but I suppose that's the market he's had to operate in, where the likes of Solanke are the best category of striker they're likely to attract.

Be interesting to see how he does at a club with more resources and more potential. He's obviously a brilliant coach, given how he guided lower level players into the PL.

Bournemouth under-performed under Howe given the money spent.  He's not one of the special managers who are likely to significantly improve a team.  He's not a terrible manager either.

https://www.transferleague.co.uk/squad-cost-comparisons/front-page/premier-league-squad-cost-how-much-did-each-club-spend-on-their-current-players

Can’t see the figures for last season, but season before he had the 4th most cheaply assembled squad in the league. Two of the three who were cheaper went down.

Bournemouth under-performed under Howe given the money spent.  He's not one of the special managers who are likely to significantly improve a team.  He's not a terrible manager either.

He got them from the fourth tier to the Premier League. Is that underperforming?

Guest neesy111

Got a lot of time for Howe, just one of those things when his ideas etc weren't working this season.  They actually did improve massively after we beat them but was too late.

Did an amazing job at Bournemouth, as Wullie[/member] says look at where they've been throughout their history.

He'll get a PL job soon no doubt.

Yes he's had some expensive flops, will say I think it's unlikely he was the one agreeing those deals and also every club makes them at some stage.  Hard job attracting players to such a small club.