Africa Cup of Nations 2019

Toon Hoser

Credit to Algeria, easily deserved win. I hope Senegal rubbish them in the final, but the foxes should be favoured. Senegal have great individuals, but do not play as team and are extraordinarily wasteful in attacking positions. I will be supporting them, but the team is seriously flawed.

Very disappointed in the level of performance from the Super Eagles, just extremely poor. Attackers huffed and puffed, but had no cohesion or connection at all, Ndidi and Etebo were unusually sloppy in midfield, and the defense/keeper nervy and shaky all match. Ndidi na my guy, but so many unnecessary fouls including the one for the final goal. Once the freekick was given, I knew Mahrez would score past this idiot of a keeper, who always stands his wall, leaving his side open.

The manager has done a good job building something and restoring Nigerian football to the top level of Africa, where it should be by default, but I do not know if he is the one to push it forward. The guy is too defensive and passive for me. Algeria today and Argentina in the WC, the two biggest matches of his tenure, we tired and the other side was beginning to dominate possession and threaten, and the manager just sat and did nothing. No tactical changes or subs and just watching on until they inevitably conceded. He should have brought Mikel on today to add some composure in midfield, or really anything to liven the team.

The state of African football is not good enough in 2019. My first memories watching football are seeing my country flash on the world stage at Atlanta 1996 and 1998 World Cup, and it is disturbing that the continent has not advanced since this time (if anything, the players have benefited financially abroad while the general quality has decreased). The culture is still entirely extractive and nothing solid has been built in 20+ years.

What a flukey Goal by Algeria  :frantic:

The semifinals and final have been rife with ridiculous goals and non-goals. Ekong and Broon own goals, crazy Algeria deflection, two missed penalties in Tunisia-Senegal. :lol: The only legitimate goal was Mahrez curling into the empty net while our keeper stood behind his wall. Senegal have been the better side outside of the deflection, I think they'll get a penalty or bundle one in for extra time.

I'm supporting Senegal on West African pride, but I have already divorced my football self from this competition, tbh. Nigeria has now won silver or bronze at this thing eight times in my life, so it's hard to care about who wins when it is not us. Only three weeks until I can focus on Newcastle's valiant relegation fight.

Algeria were in our WC qualifying group two years ago and were an embarrassment despite all of the talent at their disposal. Their turnaround has been spectacular. Congratulations to the Desert Foxes!

Anybody else spot Demba Ba in the crowd there?

They should not waste him in the crowd, they might have won if he was playing instead of Niang, who has redefined uselessness in this tournament.

Was there a religious or cultural reason why this final had to be played on a Friday?

Friday is the weekend in predominantly Muslim countries, most folk are off graft.