Non-league football

Crumpy Gunt

• 3 weeks later...

Was at Croft Park yesterday, as Robbie Dale scored 2 pens for Blyth, in a 2-1 win over Southport. Blyth finish 6th and now face a one-off play-off qualifier v Altrincham, this coming Weds night. Almost 1500 there, which is a cracking turnout. :)

Didn't realise that South Shields still have to win two more games- one against Warrington then another against the playoff winner from the Southern Central Premier. If they get it, they'll have earned it for sure.

Blyth at Altrincham tonight. A tough ask but 7 wins on the bounce means they arrive on good form.

Shildon beat a young South Shields team 1-0 in the Durham Challenge Cup Final last night - Hebburn lad and cracking player Aidan Heywood MOTM!

South Shields vs Warrington today in the final of the Northern section - should be a huge crowd there - 2.5K I’d have thought - good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Worrying goings on at Blyth;

Alan Armstrong leaves to manage Darlington, Sean Reid has left for Morpeth and Kieran Green has gone full-time with York. Rumours of more players leaving too over the coming days and weeks. Looks like the board are gearing up for relegation. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Only potential issue with Whickham is their ground (and the huge amount of work they would have to do to meet the required ground grading). They have the makings of a squad (will be a few more incomings I'd imagine) to challenge at the top end of the table. With three teams being promoted next season it could be a race against time to get it all done, although I'm sure there has been ample preparatory work that has gone into this already.

Only potential issue with Whickham is their ground (and the huge amount of work they would have to do to meet the required ground grading). They have the makings of a squad (will be a few more incomings I'd imagine) to challenge at the top end of the table. With three teams being promoted next season it could be a race against time to get it all done, although I'm sure there has been ample preparatory work that has gone into this already.

Hebburn have made a few very good singings with some more in the pipeline so should be right up there again! Promotion will be a must!

Hebburn have made a few very good singings with some more in the pipeline so should be right up there again! Promotion will be a must!

I'd certainly put Hebburn in the mix at the top. Had a cracking end to last season and seem to have strengthened even more this year. Know its early days and squads haven't been fully finalised but the signs look good. Think there's feasibly 7-8 sides (Consett, Bishop Auckland, West Auckland, Hebburn, Whickham, Stockton, Sunderland RCA, Shildon) who could all fancy their chances.

I'd certainly put Hebburn in the mix at the top. Had a cracking end to last season and seem to have strengthened even more this year. Know its early days and squads haven't been fully finalised but the signs look good. Think there's feasibly 7-8 sides (Consett, Bishop Auckland, West Auckland, Hebburn, Whickham, Stockton, Sunderland RCA, Shildon) who could all fancy their chances.

Yeah I agree mate - sounds like they've got a great singing to announce too! It'll be a good league that's for sure!

Think the successes of South Shields, Morpeth Town and Marske United (along with Spennymoor to a degree) have a role in this, as well as the compulsory promotion enforced by the FA as of last season. That said, all sides have had to contend with massive travelling issues and costs (Morpeth had to go to Wisbech in Peterborough last year), and the fact that they've all performed well within their divisions shows the strength in depth of the Northern sides, and hopefully this continues will all of them this season and newly-promoted Dunston UTS as well.

Over the next few seasons (and as we know with the Northern League's success in the Vase), there will be more and more sides going up the pyramid (3 next season) so the travel impact will be lessened as there will be progressively more local games. For better or for worse, the outlook (and geographical footprint) of the Northern League will change over the next 5-10 years.

Blyth's travelling next season will probably be the lowest in years. There will always be a few long treks, but getting as many shorter journeys makes a huge difference, especially when it comes to rearranged games due to weather / cup clashes which always pile up as the season goes on.