Racism in football

DJ_NUFC

If you look beyond the headline it kinda makes sense. FIFA have implemented all recommendations set out by the task force. Projects are still ongoing, they haven't declared a victory whatsoever.

Close your bathrobe, Sepp, ffs.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...
According to research conducted by RunRepeat and published by the Professional Footballers’ Association, the union for players in England and Wales, the difference in the way European soccer commentators describe black and white players is stark.

Documenting an issue players have long bemoaned, the researchers found that broadcast commentators were not only far more likely to praise white players for their intelligence, leadership qualities and versatility, they were also substantially more likely to criticize black players for what they regarded as the absence of those attributes.

Instead, the study found that nonwhite players tend to receive praise for their physical qualities: what Romelu Lukaku, the Inter Milan striker, has referred to as the “pace and power element.” Black players were four times more likely than their white counterparts to be discussed in terms of their strength, and seven times more likely to be praised for their speed.

Those were not the only differences. White players, according to the study, were more likely to be credited with an admirable work ethic. Black players’ performances, even when stellar, were more likely to be attributed to a burst of good form.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/30/sports/soccer/soccer-racism-broadcasting.html

I thought that was just a N-O conspiracy theory according to some on here. Clear as day, particularly during the World Cup.

I’ve mentioned this before on here. It’s worst for dark skin African players. Even world class ones like Eto’o, Yaya Toure or even Pogba.

There’s not a pass KDB or Silva can make that Pogba can’t but Pogba is oft labelled a ‘great athlete’ without true appreciation for his technical ability which is legitimately second to none.

I thought that was just a N-O conspiracy theory according to some on here. Clear as day, particularly during the World Cup.

I’ve mentioned this before on here. It’s worst for dark skin African players. Even world class ones like Eto’o, Yaya Toure or even Pogba.

There’s not a pass KDB or Silva can make that Pogba can’t but Pogba is oft labelled a ‘great athlete’ without true appreciation for his technical ability which is legitimately second to none.

KDB and Silva (to a lesser extent) ARE better passers of the ball than Pogba. He is however a very good passer of the ball but it always seems to be commented on so not sure you’ve picked a good comparison. KDB is the best passer of a ball I’ve seen since Zico.

Nothing to do with race but it is a fundamental biological truth that people of certain descents can be more athletic than others. Slow/Fast muscle fibre ratios dictated by genetics etc. A lot of this can be overcome in terms of footballers to a degree, but there will always be differences however minor at the top end.

KDB and Silva (to a lesser extent) ARE better passers of the ball than Pogba. He is however a very good passer of the ball but it always seems to be commented on so not sure you’ve picked a good comparison. KDB is the best passer of a ball I’ve seen since Zico.

Messi is better

Its mad how strong and powerful KDB is now, would definitely be commented on more if he was black

There was someone he absolutely bulldozed in the first half onslaught to win the ball back (discount if it was Miggy).

Guest Howaythetoon

KDB surprises me because he doesn't look particularly athletic

That’s because he’s white...

And ginger.

And there's the difference. KDB has a similar size and body shape to Colback. One clearly works massively hard in training on technique and in gym for strength and power, while the other get on with being a 'good lad' and runs about hard in 5 a-side training matches

Messi is better

Messi is just better at everything than anyone else, it isn't fair :lol:

Xavi was better as well. De Bruyne isn't far off though, he is probably my favourite player around at the moment. Love watching him play, he is always three steps ahead of his opponents.

And ginger.

And there's the difference. KDB has a similar size and body shape to Colback. One clearly works massively hard in training on technique and in gym for strength and power, while the other get on with being a 'good lad' and runs about hard in 5 a-side training matches

KDB is far more upright than Colback.

;D

And ginger.

KDB is far more upright than Colback.

;D Only because he doesn't spend half his time on the floor having tried and failed to put in a tackle where the other player has made him look like a total gimp and left him on his backside.