Mikel Merino

Disco

Guest neesy111

Midfield three of Hamann, Cabaye and Merino would be droolworthy.

Hamman was the standout signing of Dalglish's time here, although his time here was wasted by Kenny's ultra-defensive line ups.

He played 2 games under Dalglish.

Midfield three of Hamann, Cabaye and Merino would be droolworthy.

Hamman was the standout signing of Dalglish's time here, although his time here was wasted by Kenny's ultra-defensive line ups.

He played 2 games under Dalglish.

Didn't realise he was out for so many games, but he was a good player. He would still have been wasted in a side with was usually filled with central midfielders and no width.

• 1 year later...
3 minutes ago, Dokko said:

The one that got away. Stupid release clause. Worse than demba's

Understandable that he insisted on a release clause, and that he wanted to play regularly. I wish Benitez would have played him more despite the form Shelvey and Diame was in. It's a bit hypocritical since I haven't really been that fussed about Bruno not getting much game time due to an unexpectedly good midfield trio, but I guess the difference is when Merino was here, we had no chance on getting someone better in. If Bruno had gone into a hissy fit during this period and wanted out I believe we are now capable of getting someone equal or better in to replace him.

10 minutes ago, huss9 said:

his form really dropped after his back injury and we were better with diame/shelvey at the time.

if he'd worked at it in training he would have been back in.

Not sure his form dropped really did it? Just by the time he came back Diame was like peak Essien

23 minutes ago, triggs said:

Not sure his form dropped really did it? Just by the time he came back Diame was like peak Essien

he never hit the same levels after his injury.

definitley wasnt the same player in his first few games back.

Honestly don't think I'd take him at this point. 

I wouldn't say I bear a grudge toward him for leaving so soon, as I don't blame any player for wanting out during the Ashley era. But I can't shake the fact he skipped out on two separate clubs after a year each because he wasn't starting enough for his liking, rather than fighting for his spot outside of the few months he was required to with us simply because transfer windows forced him to. 

While that's his prerogative, what happens if he's at a club with genuine competition for places, which I hope we will have in the not too distant future? Is he going to sulk every time he loses his spot for a run of games?

Bloke left pretty rapid, you think he would even want to come back? 

You don't think we can currently do better than a player who left so quickly?

Yeah he was decent for us and had a lot of promise but we can and should do better in terms of ability, as well as someone who wouldn't jump ship the minute they feel homesick.

Folks are too romantic about the idea of this guy on here sometimes just because we "didn't see the best of him" - such is life, rather go for a new player than someone "finish unfinished business" who was here literally only 5 mins. 

Edited by Amir_9

Guest neesy111

He left because he was homesick which is understandable, he'll not want to leave the Basque area.  Also sociedad are pretty handy as well.