Mikel Merino

Disco

• 2 years later...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/feb/18/real-sociedad-mikel-merino-premier-league-newcastle-manchester-united-europa-league

Mikel Merino was going into battle but at least he had a song to sing. There’s a pause, a smile and he begins, memories of St James’ Park. “He comes from Spain and he’s effing class. In fact, he’s better than Fàbregas: it’s Merino, la, la, la, Merino.” The lyrics haven’t left him, then. None of it has, he says laughing. “What I most take with me, the thing I’ll remember when the years pass, is the fans; the way they lived football.”

He recalls Benítez’s “very, very methodical” management. “It’s a pity there was that [difficult] relationship with the owner, that the supporters were unhappy. You could feel it: the players knew. But the fans were spectacular. There’d be the chance to break and they’d go mad. It could be 70 metres from goal and …” Merino’s eyes open wide. “… And they thought we might score. What hurt most about leaving was the fans. I was happy but never quite felt 100% in football terms. And the chance came to go home.”

Absolute Journeyman.

I don't know why he wanted to leave after only one season, he really looked like he can turn into a great midfielder.

He couldn't dislodge Diame or Shelvey from the side and Rafa never saw him as a 10, which some have noted is the position he plays in for the Spain U21's.

So he had a drama queen moment as he was out of the team, off he went when just a bit of patience at 21 would have seen him play a fuck load for us this season, meh.

There is a lot of revisionism about this useless slow shit heap of a player, much rather have Longstaff playing, at least he wants to.

:lol:

He started well but got injured and wasn’t quite the same for us after for whatever reason. Rafa didn’t seem that keen on giving him game time, yes he had a release clause but he could have said no, which he might have if his situation had of been different here.

Midfield three of Hamann, Cabaye and Merino would be droolworthy.

Tbf most established PL teams grabbing players from their whole PL history could make an amazing first XI. Personally I'd have Lee or Batty in for Cabaye, though. Always liked Merino, don't think he did enough for long enough to be one of our best 3 though.

He also got homesick as well which is understandable.  I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

Yeah, genuinely seemed like the primary reason he left so early. Iirc he came alone as a 20/21 year old on loan for 6 months before we signed him. Not always easy to settle/transition seamlessly I imagine, couple that with a pretty bad injury and it's no surprise he was longing for Spain/home comforts, particularly being from Pamplona with an opportunity to play for Sociedad.

I think Batty & Lee are ahead of all three but that three would be easy on the eye.

I wanna play a game.

Batty vs Tiote...who wins? You decide, make your choice

Tiote in the one in 20 games when he had a stormer. Batty in the other 19 to do the consistent stuff.

I think Batty & Lee are ahead of all three but that three would be easy on the eye.

I wanna play a game.

Batty vs Tiote...who wins? You decide, make your choice

On their day, the pairing of Cabaye and Tiote could be competitive with just about anyone. They were excellent together. Used to start games expecting to win the midfield battle (unless Yaya Toure was involved). Imagine that.

I'd opt for Batty, but with some reluctance. I don't think he made best use of his all-round talent. I actually saw him play for Leeds when he was about 20, and he displayed a lot of skill and creativity on the ball. At some stage of his career, he seemed to opt for a more conservative, defensive role, and to take on the persona of a hard man. He was a better player than he looked, if you get what I mean.