The unpopular football opinion thread

Deuce

I'm not sure those stats are really backing up your point very well. I see that he has 22 CL goals over the past three years, that he has scored against PSG, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, and Juventus, in addition to scoring plenty against everyone else.

He's quite clearly a world-class striker.

Yeah pretty much this. He can only score against who he's playing against and he seems to be doing that more often than not

I'm not sure those stats are really backing up your point very well. I see that he has 22 CL goals over the past three years, that he has scored against PSG, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, and Juventus, in addition to scoring plenty against everyone else.

Yeah tbf those stats aren't bad at all. He's clearly an excellent player but he just seems a step down on the very best strikers when I watch him recently

Yeah tbf those stats aren't bad at all. He's clearly an excellent player but he just seems a step down on the very best strikers when I watch him recently

Messi and Ronaldo aside, who would you consider better strikers than Lewandowski? Genuine question. I can think of maaaybe 2-3 who I'd accept an argument for.

Messi and Ronaldo aside, who would you consider better strikers than Lewandowski? Genuine question. I can think of maaaybe 2-3 who I'd accept an argument for.

Cavani, Kane, Costa, Suarez. I'd put a few more in there but it's probably unfair as I really don't rate the Bundesliga [emoji38]

World class strikers perform in the big games, not against Bundesliga dross when you're playing for a side miles ahead of the rest.  Are you impressed with Cavani for scoring 82 league goals in the last 3 years in Ligue 1?

He rarely does (perform in big games), the only one I can remember was in the CL semi a few years ago against Atletico.  Goals in the big games are what separate the world class from just "very good", Lewandowski isnt world class imo (ignoring Messi and Ronaldo in this, man. They're not comparible to anyone). Yes he's very good but aye.. overrated

Cavani, Kane, Costa, Suarez. I'd put a few more in there but it's probably unfair as I really don't rate the Bundesliga [emoji38]

Griezmann and Aguero as well, but I'd remove Cavani cause I can't stand him.

Griezmann and Aguero as well, but I'd remove Cavani cause I can't stand him.

Yeah, exactly.  Messi and Ronaldo don't count. Then the list you guys have, then Lewandowski.  Loads of people would lump him in the 2nd group

edit:

13 in 10 in Euro championship qualifiers for Poland (against Scotland, Gibraltar, Georgia, Ireland and 1 against Germany)

2 in 8 in the actual tournaments

World class strikers perform in the big games, not against Bundesliga dross when you're playing for a side miles ahead of the rest.  Are you impressed with Cavani for scoring 82 league goals in the last 3 years in Ligue 1?

He rarely does (perform in big games), the only one I can remember was in the CL semi a few years ago against Atletico.  Goals in the big games are what separate the world class from just "very good", Lewandowski isnt world class imo (ignoring Messi and Ronaldo in this, man. They're not comparible to anyone). Yes he's very good but aye.. overrated

Yes, because 82 goals in 3 years is fucking impressive ffs :lol: they’re not up against pub league teams. The likes of Cavani and Lewandowski take the piss out of professional footballers on a weekly basis.

Messi and Ronaldo being superhuman has melted people's brains.

Yes, because 82 goals in 3 years is fucking impressive ffs :lol: they’re not up against pub league teams. The likes of Cavani and Lewandowski take the piss out of professional footballers on a weekly basis.

Messi and Ronaldo being superhuman has melted people's brains.

He's had the likes of Neymar, Mbappe, Draxler, Di Maria, Rabiot, Pastore, Verratti, Lucas around him playing against Vincent Manceau

Same applies (to a slightly lesser extent) to Lewa over the last few years

Unless they go ahead and set up that European super league and they both fall flat every week, you’re never going to be able to make a convincing case that the likes of Lewandowski and Cavani are “overrated.” All they can do is score goals against the teams in front of them, which they both do with incredible efficiency.

Unless they go ahead and set up that European super league and they both fall flat every week, you’re never going to be able to make a convincing case that the likes of Lewandowski and Cavani are “overrated.” All they can do is score goals against the teams in front of them, which they both do with incredible efficiency.

Until they (he, Lewa) get to important games in final stages of the biggest international compeitions against the best teams :shifty: World class players can/would do it then, though

Until they (he, Lewa) get to important games in final stages of the biggest international compeitions against the best teams :shifty: World class players can/would do it then, though

Nah, that’s nonsense. Messi/Ronaldo setting the bar so incredibly high that you forget that there are other players today who are genuinely exceptional and/or among the best who’ve ever played in their own right.

Does that mean Kane isn't world class because he hasn't done it yet?

Does that mean Kane isn't world class because he hasn't done it yet?

He hasnt had many tries like Lewandowski

I'd take Benzema before Lewandowski. Now there's an unpopular opinion

That not obvious? If people disagree with that it completely proves my point man [emoji38]

Dunno, think people underrate Benzema because he doesn't score as many. Unbelievable team player