The unpopular football opinion thread

Deuce

Sherwood is a bit of a bell end.

He did a "checking pulse" thing to the Holte End after the league match against Ollbeeyun last week which was cringey along the same lines as that salute thing. I thought it was a fucking stupid appointment.

Having said that, though, we've just been Ollbeeyun twice in five days, played some more than decent (by our recent standards) football in doing so, and secured at least one Wembley trip, to a semi final.

Given that, it seems churlish to moan. He's also managed to get a decent performance out of Charles N'Zogbia and Tom Cleverley, which is something I never thought I'd see.

He can open his big gob as much as he likes so long as he carries on making it actually pleasurable to watch us play.

Before the second Albion game, I was poking around having a look at a few of our forums, and someone posted something along the lines of "I can't get over the fact that I'm actually looking forward to the match". Which basically said it all about what it had become.

See also that pitch invasion. I would have preferred it not to have happened, it is a bit smalltime. But then again, this is a club which has had its two worst home seasons in 140 years last season and the season before. A club that had just put together a run of seven consecutive league defeats. A club which had managed a run of over 11 hours without scoring a single goal.

A club whose fans have basically had big steaming buckets of liquefied horse shit syringed directly into their eyeballs at home matches for four years.

Given all that, I don't blame anyone for running on, and I can see why people would like Sherwood.

It is very, very early days, but it feels like I imagine VE Day felt. Thank fuck that is over.

Careful, or else Ron will huff and puff and blow your house down.

If you had owt about you as a poster you'd have done that for me. Just a criminally bad effort by Mistle. Spurs would've finished 3rd with their form under Sherwoord stretched over a full season. They're currently 6th. Vast improvement indeed.

Over 28 games he averaged 1.64 points per game, which would've given them 62.4 points over the course of 38 games. This would be less than the 69 points they actually ended up with. They would have finished 7th and not 6th.

Obviously it's just an average, but to state that he'd finish 3rd (>82 points), is rather far fetched.

It was actually 1.91 points per game according to this article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31470606.

Over a full season that's 73 points. Generally good enough for 4th, and often 3rd. Of course, it's all conjecture to suggest who those points would've come form and subsequently how league positioning would've been affected.

Careful, or else Ron will huff and puff and blow your house down.

If you had owt about you as a poster you'd have done that for me. Just a criminally bad effort by Mistle. Spurs would've finished 3rd with their form under Sherwoord stretched over a full season. They're currently 6th. Vast improvement indeed.

Over 28 games he averaged 1.64 points per game, which would've given them 62.4 points over the course of 38 games. This would be less than the 69 points they actually ended up with. They would have finished 7th and not 6th.

Obviously it's just an average, but to state that he'd finish 3rd (>82 points), is rather far fetched.

Surely if you're extrapolating something over a period of time to come to a theoretical league points total, you have to only look at league matches rather than throw in league cup or europa league games.

In league games he picked up 42 points in 22 games, which is 1.9 points per game, which over 38 games equals 72 points.

That's pretty good.

:thup:

You've scored 5 goals in 4 games under him, and played very good stuff in the process. I'd call that a minor miracle.

Especially if you look at the end of Lambert's reign and count back how long a period it took to score our last five goals under him and realise it was in fucking December.

I was going to post something here about Sherwood after listening to a podcast, I was wondering where this assumption that he's s*** has come from. I mean, he may well be, and he's obviously a bit of a clown, but he was given a brief chance at Spurs and did pretty well with it, let's see how he does.

I don't know where this idea of him being talked up by media has come from, I've heard him getting nothing but slagged. I must just be consuming different media.

I feel the same way. Its the god damn internet. Everyone needs to be squaeky clean to be liked.

If Cabaye played for any other club he'd be hated for being a cunt. But here he's loved even though he acted the way he did.

Self riotous lbullshit.

People need that chip on their shoulder to feel the way they feel.

I don't assume Sherwood's shit, I just don't have any reason to believe he's any good. I do think a lot of pundits talk about him as if he's already a proven manager.

It's very strange to me that anyone without proven experience and a record of success is ever appointed to a PL club though, it makes no sense.

sure I read he's got the highest win percentage than any other Tottenham manager albeit over a short period of time. He's also got villa winning and into a cup semi. Not sure what else he could have done in that period

Sherwood cant get much credit for Villa's turnaround yet. The players have been released from the shackles Lambert had on them. Now that he has been there a couple of weeks in training etc, if the results are maintained he can start to take a bit of credit.

There are a lot of people who try to portray Sherwood as some bumbling idiot when his record certainly isn't bad. Obviously he's still relatively inexperienced, but the general opinion seems to be that he's rubbish. Without wanting to sound a bit UKIP, this is entirely because he's an unfashionable Englishman imo. I'd say he's been mostly decent so far.

The reason most people don't like / rate Sherwood is down his absolutely abhorrent personality and being a total melt.

His football is fairly basic but effective English style football.

It would be nice if there were some English managers in the league who weren't loathsome pricks but it seems that isn't going to be the case for a while.

Guest waterbottle

The reason most people don't like / rate Sherwood is down his absolutely abhorrent personality and being a total melt.

It would be nice if there were some English managers in the league who weren't loathsome pricks but it seems that isn't going to be the case for a while.

His football isn't that bad though, and he does get results. He's a prick, but that's no reason to discount the results he did consistently get

His football isn't that bad though, and he does get results. He's a prick, but that's no reason to discount the results he did consistently get

Never suggested it was.

Guest firetotheworks

I don't assume Sherwood's shit, I just don't have any reason to believe he's any good. I do think a lot of pundits talk about him as if he's already a proven manager.

It's very strange to me that anyone without proven experience and a record of success is ever appointed to a PL club though, it makes no sense.

Not to be inflammatory, but I can guarantee you'd be saying this if the consensus was the other way.

'I don't assume Sherwood's great, I just don't have any reason to believe he's really that bad. I do think a lot of people talk about him as if he's already a proven to be a bad manager.

It's very strange to me that anyone without proven experience and a record of success is ever appointed to a PL club though, it makes no sense.'

:lol: Aye I've never really minded Peter Reid.

Yeah, and he was a great panto villain when he was at the Mackems. Seemed like a proper part of the club, easy to give stick and he clearly enjoyed it too. Poyet just seems like some passing mercenary I've got little interest in.