Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

Lee Dixon and Martin Keown on Match of the Day 2. They don't actually know anything, and all their patter amounts to is making some hilarious joke about Dixon scoring an own goal every f***ing week.

If Lee Dixon isn't feigning a foul on him (a la Ginola) he's lost.

Louis Saha

Supposedly knowledgeable people who think Louis Saha is good.

People calling Kaka, 'Ricardo Kaka', it's simply wrong, either or, not both.

Players missing penalties, should never happen, easiest thing in the world.

Alex Ferguson and Man Utd, and everything to do with them.

Middlesbrough.

Lower league football.

The offside rule, it's impossible to get it right, it requires one man to see two things at once, sometimes 70/80 yards away, how has no one noticed it's pure guesswork?

Players getting booked for over celebration, cheers Diego Forlan.

Players missing sitters, just no.

The way everyone criticises zonal marking the one time it concedes, and nothing is said the 100 times it works.

People who love overly strong diving tackles, even when they don't get near the ball, it's wrong, red card.

Showing the ball out is one of mine too, it's obstruction, foul.

Louis Saha

That is all I can think of right now.

Agreed on defenders "shielding" the ball, attackers getting away with fouls that defenders would see red for ("Oh, that's a striker's tackle", yes it is, and it nearly broke the defender's leg, so send the fkr off), managers having a go at refs every game, players essentially allowed to say or do whatever they like to the officials without sanction, diving. Obviously.

I'd add pundits who don't know the laws of the game (that's you, Kamara, you tool), and players who point to the sky after scoring. Like God gives a flying fuck.

Agreed on defenders "shielding" the ball, attackers getting away with fouls that defenders would see red for ("Oh, that's a striker's tackle", yes it is, and it nearly broke the defender's leg, so send the fkr off), managers having a go at refs every game, players essentially allowed to say or do whatever they like to the officials without sanction, diving. Obviously.

I'd add pundits who don't know the laws of the game (that's you, Kamara, you tool), and players who point to the sky after scoring. Like God gives a flying fuck.

I thought it was normally for a friend or relative who died?

Guest firetotheworks

'Ive seen them given'

If an average player does something good its not that good, if they do something bad, they want shot.

If a top four player (usually Rooney) does something good its world class, if they do something bad then they 'werent able to bring it under their spell' or 'it didn't quite work out for him that time.'

Andy Townsend and Robbie Earle thinking they have a right to say what a player in the Champions League should have done instead of what they did do. Shut up, you're Andy Townsend and Robbie Earle, you couldn't dream of doing what Gerrard etc can do with the ball.

Defenders shielding the ball out of play as if it would be allowed anywhere else on the pitch.

Arshavins celebration. As much as I absolutely bum him as a player, that is one shit celebration.

When a team, or in particular Steve Harper and whoever our RB is keep trying a tactic that clearly isn't working.

Players that are clearly not legends being called legends.

People who hate 'Fancy Dan's'

Any pundit on MOTD other than Hansen, Lawrenson and Shearer.

The current bumming of Shay Given by pundits despite him playing no better than he did for us.

The way Liverpool play.

The reluctance to use technology in favour of blind officials.

Fines for managers critising referees. Its not a hard job, its a fucking privilege. Managers and players get put under pressure, why shouldnt officials if they've clearly fucked up.

Rules that are made without the player in mind. For example players having to jump with their hands by their sides, no tackles from behind even if its clean and they win the ball, 'dangerous intent' despite winning the ball etc etc.

Decisions based on reputation, rather than what the referee actually saw, and is paid to do.

Actually just, referees.

Maybe as a certified ref, I see things differently.  My pet peeves....

Commentators (well, mainly Tommy Smythe) calling for every ball touching a hand in the Penalty area a hand ball.  No concept of judging the "Intent".

Pundits who don't know the laws of the game. Nothing worse than them ranting and raving about something, that is completely wrong in LOTG.

Guest Chubby Jason

Irritating smug "fans" that think they know everything about every player on the planet. "It's quite clear that **funny sounding Spanish name** is an exceptional player and posseses twice the talent of Steven Gerrard or Wayne Rooney."

Fuck off you bellend watching someone on youtube with fancy music playing in the background does not allow you to make judgement on a player.

Also other things that get on my tits;

-People that don't get pissed off when players dive.

-Chris Morgan trying to kill that lad last season, fracturing his skull and getting a yellow card for it with no further punishment. What if he died, what sanction would he have faced then?

People that proclaim they "don't give a toss" about the England national side., have some pride man. Does this apathy happen in any other sport? In any other country?

People that sing songs at games about national disasters like Hillsbourough and Munich, lovely stuff, what utter scum.

Football fans really are dickheads aren't they?

Fines for managers critising referees. Its not a hard job, its a f***ing privilege. Managers and players get put under pressure, why shouldnt officials if they've clearly f***ed up......Actually just, referees.

Clearly, you've never refereed a game.  Try it, because it's really an eye-opener.   Not picking a fight, just saying that until you try it, it looks much easier than it really is. 

{edit} need better smilie  :-)

Guest firetotheworks

Fines for managers critising referees. Its not a hard job, its a f***ing privilege. Managers and players get put under pressure, why shouldnt officials if they've clearly f***ed up......Actually just, referees.

Clearly, you've never refereed a game.  Try it, because it's really an eye-opener.   Not picking a fight, just saying that until you try it, it looks much easier than it really is. 

:dowie:

I meant in the grand scheme of things. As in like comparison to I dunno, working in Primark on the Saturday before Christmas.

I've never done that either mind, but I imagine it's harder than refereeing a Premier League match.

Guest Chubby Jason

-Digital advertising boards, you know, those ones that move, hate those things.

-Whenever Fat Dickhead Allardyce and/or Phil Brown are on Goals on Sunday. It just turns into a repulsive arselicking fest. Remember that blatant, pathetic dive  Morton Pederson did for Blackburn (can't remember when). They showed it and Jabba just dissmissed it as the "lad falling over his own feet". Kamara and that other guy from SSN just nodded in agreement with him, pathetic.

-"Sunday Suppliment", what a round-table of total and utter arseholes.

I meant in the grand scheme of things. As in like comparison to I dunno, working in Primark on the Saturday before Christmas.

I've never done that either mind, but I imagine it's harder than refereeing a Premier League match.

Maybe, but Primark workers don't have instant replay with national coverage when you get the price wrong or drop an item.   ;D

Even for me only doing youth games (U10 through U19) and high school games here in texas you always have moments where you think "what is the exact call and restart that I need to make", did I really make the right call.   Lot's of judgement calls about what it/is-not a foul, offside or infringement. Should you, shouldn't you, call it, don't call it, what if I do, what if I don't. It's really fun to get some good games in, but there are lots of times when you know that "everyone" hates you no matter what you call.

That's why the referee always back's into their parking spot, so they can have a quick get-away.    :cheesy:

I'd add pundits who don't know the laws of the game (that's you, Kamara, you tool), and players who point to the sky after scoring. Like God gives a flying f***.

I thought it was normally for a friend or relative who died?

From what I've seen so far over here, they do it for God quite often in American sports. The Lampard stuff bugs me too but it's up to him I guess, just not something I would ever do so publicly. So, OK, every sports person who thanks God for letting them win (i.e. making everyone else lose).

Everybody should be made to either jog back to the halfway line after a couple of firm handshakes with your team mates, or run, jump and punch the air like you're a 1970 Brazilian footballer. Unless you're Marco Tardelli.

Guest firetotheworks

Yeah, judging actions from 20-30 yards afar, on the spur of the moment, when sometimes not even slo-mo repeats are clear enough to see who was right.

Great respect for refs.

That's absolutely fair enough, its when they're 10 yards away in a great position and make ridiculous decisions. Same goes for linesmen.

Guest manomush

going on Interpolic's 'glove' thread in chat, I'll add footballers who wear gloves, and even more, footballers who wear short sleeved shirts and gloves.  So you'll be warmed up enough not to keep your arms warm, but your hands might get too cold?

Emre, you little scamp, I'm looking at you.

english players wearing gloves ,rooney the other neet

Guest firetotheworks

going on Interpolic's 'glove' thread in chat, I'll add footballers who wear gloves, and even more, footballers who wear short sleeved shirts and gloves.  So you'll be warmed up enough not to keep your arms warm, but your hands might get too cold?

Emre, you little scamp, I'm looking at you.

english players wearing gloves ,rooney the other neet

What difference does it make if they're English?

Guest firetotheworks

When people who don't know anything about football try talking to you about football.

Definitely, classic case being 'That Ronaldo's a cheat, he got Beckham sent off at the World Cup.'

:facepalm: Argh, just get out of my life mate.

Yeah, judging actions from 20-30 yards afar, on the spur of the moment, when sometimes not even slo-mo repeats are clear enough to see who was right.

Great respect for refs.

That's absolutely fair enough, its when they're 10 yards away in a great position and make ridiculous decisions. Same goes for linesmen.

Assistant Referees

OK - I'll stop now.   I'm just kidding.  ;D