Thoughts on this summer's transfer window

Wallace
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Before we lost anyone, at the very start of the window, we needed a fullback and a forward.

We signed neither. As black and white as that tbh.

But we dont know the reasons why, they could have decent reasons why we didn't get them over the line.

But regardless, those were our aims and we met neither.

How is that a good/decent/alright transfer window? :lol:

When did I say it was a good/decent transfer window? :lol: :cheesy:

I never said you did, but some are. Or at least alluding to it.

Nope, don't think so. Who? :lol:

Before we lost anyone, at the very start of the window, we needed a fullback and a forward.

But we dont know the reasons why, they could have decent reasons why we didn't get them over the line.

I think most people are just trying to say it hasn't been the apocalypse, and where targets have been missed their might be good reasons for them.

Anita has never played in England before, Guthrie proved most of last season he was a very decent cover player. We have lost Best and Loven and have failed to add a striker, meaning there is a possibilty that Shola will be our only first choice striker in January. The youngsters are exactly that, certainly don't look ready for the prem.

If you're arguing that Anita isn't as good as Guthrie you might be onto a loser there man.

I'm saying he has to prove it, if you think he doesn't then your wrong.

Well he's been a regular for Ajax, one of the biggest clubs in Europe. Danny Guthrie is a 'decent squad player' but he never had any potential beyond that.

I just don't see how Anita v Guthrie can add anything to your argument, if you're trying to prove our midfield is worse than before.

At this moment in time it is worse, because we don't know how Anita will settle or play for us. We knew we could rely on Guthrie, Anita may well flop.

If we manage to keep any of Cabaye, Krul, Cisse, Ba or Tiote next summer, we'll have done well. We'll not finish as high this season and that will be enough to make them want to go to a club with ambition.

Anita has never played in England before, Guthrie proved most of last season he was a very decent cover player. We have lost Best and Loven and have failed to add a striker, meaning there is a possibilty that Shola will be our only first choice striker in January. The youngsters are exactly that, certainly don't look ready for the prem.

If you're arguing that Anita isn't as good as Guthrie you might be onto a loser there man.

I'm saying he has to prove it, if you think he doesn't then your wrong.

Well he's been a regular for Ajax, one of the biggest clubs in Europe. Danny Guthrie is a 'decent squad player' but he never had any potential beyond that.

I just don't see how Anita v Guthrie can add anything to your argument, if you're trying to prove our midfield is worse than before.

At this moment in time it is worse, because we don't know how Anita will settle or play for us. We knew we could rely on Guthrie, Anita may well flop.

We could 'rely' on Guthrie in the right sort of game, and to play generally very average.

Guest Roger Kint

Will be interesting to see the players reaction on sunday, no doubt a few of them are feeling a little bit let down.

Dear God

Now that it's clear our business is done I have to say it wasn't really good enough. I was confident we'd have Debuchy here at one time, and while I don't have a problem with walking away from a deal if the goal posts get moved, we really should have sorted out another full back with a whole summer to do it. Another striker would have been nice but we've got two top quality ones so not too fussed about that. Quality full backs are crucial to good football though and that is going to impact our effectiveness.

where targets have been missed their might be good reasons for them.

Getting sick of reading this now. We've had since February.

Right. All that means is that the reason isn't lack of time.

"If you can't do your business in the summer, then I don't know why because there is plenty of time."

Will be interesting to see the players reaction on sunday, no doubt a few of them are feeling a little bit let down.

I think you'll be reading far too much into it. They're professional footballers, not fans.

So your telling me that our best players won't see this window as a failure?

"If you can't do your business in the summer, then I don't know why because there is plenty of time."

I don't know why you posted that quote, or who it's from.

It's from Pardew.

I think most people are just trying to say it hasn't been the apocalypse, and where targets have been missed their might be good reasons for them.

Yup.

We've not gone backwards. In terms of available players I think we may have edged forward. But despite avoiding losing Tiote (which a few seemed to think was a foregone conclusion) there is no way this has been anything other than fairly mediocre and a missed opportunity to at least upgrade our fullback positions.

There's no one suggesting it's like apocalypse though.

Just a few, understandably, unhappy fans.

The squad is weaker than the one that ended the season. A complete and utter failure from the board, but hardly suprising.

Not sure its weaker overall, just up front with backups. Big chance for vuckic, sammy, Campbell potentially

Exactly. The negativity is waaaayyyy over the top, it's ALMOST funny! :lol:

Almost as over the top as the people who say we haven't had a poor window.

Their resolute stubbornness is ALMOST funny.

I don't think we've had a poor window, because we haven't had a poor window... it's a simple as that. Our squad is stronger in defence (with Anita and Good's additions), and in midfield (Anita, Amalfitano, and Bigi). Up front is the debate but we certainly have players who can play there if neccessary.

It is disappointing that we didn't strengthen the starting 11, but it's certainly not a poor window... just an OK window.

We've signed 1 player who can start in the league.

It's from Pardew.

OK, but it doesn't add anything, because I already said the reason might not be lack of time.

Dear God

Strike  :lol:

When signing on, or signing new contracts, our top players would have been promised that we had ambition and goals to improve the squad year on year, this window says the exact opposite.

The squad is weaker than the one that ended the season. A complete and utter failure from the board, but hardly suprising.

Not sure its weaker overall, just up front with backups. Big chance for vuckic, sammy, Campbell potentially

Exactly. The negativity is waaaayyyy over the top, it's ALMOST funny! :lol:

Almost as over the top as the people who say we haven't had a poor window.

Their resolute stubbornness is ALMOST funny.

I don't think we've had a poor window, because we haven't had a poor window... it's a simple as that. Our squad is stronger in defence (with Anita and Good's additions), and in midfield (Anita, Amalfitano, and Bigi). Up front is the debate but we certainly have players who can play there if neccessary.

It is disappointing that we didn't strengthen the starting 11, but it's certainly not a poor window... just an OK window.

We've signed 1 player who can start in the league.

We already have some though, they will make up the rest of the team.