Andy Cole

Paully

Guest Howaythetoon

My first hero and a very very upsetting day for me that was, for most I imagine. Great player for us and full stop. Happy days :thup:

I think Cole and Beardsley are still the highest scoring striker partnership in Premier League history.

they are but there was 42 leagues games that season. never be beaten mind. cole was a top striker who was sold because he couldn't play with paul kitson. he won doubles and trebles and we didn't . Fergie was right Keegan was wrong is the uncomfortable truth.

However we did end up with two power forwards in Ferdinand and Shearer.

I think Cole and Beardsley are still the highest scoring striker partnership in Premier League history.

they are but there was 42 leagues games that season. never be beaten mind. cole was a top striker who was sold because he couldn't play with paul kitson. he won doubles and trebles and we didn't . Fergie was right Keegan was wrong is the uncomfortable truth.

Shearer with Ferdinand were unplayable.  Keegan was right, Fergie got lucky!

My first hero and a very very upsetting day for me that was, for most I imagine. Great player for us and full stop. Happy days :thup:

True, I was in quite the fluffery buffery

Was you hurting Harry?

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, Cookie1892 said:

if we had of kept him to play alongside ferdinand and not bought shearer - does anyone think we would have won the league in 95/96

No. Cole wasn't very good his first few years at Man United, literally a joke at times with all his horrendous misses.

Man U supporting journo said they'd snap your arms off for their money back in 97.

We probably got closer because of the way it was.

Edited by Wolfcastle

2 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Maybe if we'd signed Yorke instead of Ferdinand, I can't imagine Ferdinand and Cole playing together. 

why not? Cole and Yorke's record was not that great. It's another myth presented to us by the media. Even rat boy and the pantomime horse had a better record

49 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

No. Cole wasn't very good his first few years at Man United, literally a joke at times with all his horrendous misses.

Man U supporting journo said they'd snap your arms off for their money back in 97.

Coles form coincided with Cantona's retirement. Thats why Peter Beardsley was a better player than Cantona, Beardsley got the best out of players around him and improved them

One of Keegan's only mistakes, selling him? I know they had a fall out in October 1993ish and their relationship was probably not the same after but selling someone with a scoring record as ridiculous as Cole's was I don't think I'll ever get. 

It almost paid off. But it didn't.

It was justified at the time by Keegan saying he wanted to change the way we played. If you just look at it in money terms we effectively swapped Cole for Gillespie and a more well rounded (but older) striker in Ferdinand. And additional funds spent on Ginola, Hislop, Barton and later Shearer.*

I'm still not sure tbh, I was gutted as an 11 year old but loved the side that followed. Cole for us was a finishing machine which meant he had limitations but for all Ferguson improved his all round game I think he lost some of that dynamism at Man Utd. 

* Edit: and Batty and Asprilla as well! We spent quite a lot during that period beyond the Cole fee. 

Edited by Interpolic

2 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

It was justified at the time by Keegan saying he wanted to change the way we played. If you just look at it in money terms we effectively swapped Cole for Gillespie and a more well rounded (but older) striker in Ferdinand. And additional funds spent on Ginola, Hislop, Barton and later Shearer. 

I'm still not sure tbh, I was gutted as an 11 year old but loved the side that followed. Cole for us was a finishing machine which meant he had limitations but for all Ferguson improved his all round game I think he lost some of that dynamism at Man Utd. 

As someone who missed out on the period, if I could watch or experience one of the sides or seasons from that era it's 1993-94. 

Goes under the radar but building that 95/96 team (Gillespie,Ginola, Ferdinand, Shaka, Barton) cost about £2.5m net in transfers alone.

Cole, Fox, Mathie, Venison, Nielson, Robinson out.

Factor in the record shirt sales and everything else probably made a healthy profit creating the best team we've ever seen.

Edited by Jonas

2 hours ago, Wolfcastle said:

Remember one game, can't remember who it was against. Man Utd were thrashing some team, someone scored and Cole went to kick the ball back into the net again, hit the post and the commentator said "He still can't score." Being the petty bitch I am, I loved it.