Andy Cole

Paully

As much as cole was a great goalscorer he was not on the same planet as Sheringham as a footballer, Sheringham had a footballing brain

Imagine being 3rd all time PL goalscoring charts, being a titan at two of the biggest clubs of the era and yet be told you're not on the same planet as Teddy Sheringham, hilarious.

As much as cole was a great goalscorer he was not on the same planet as Sheringham as a footballer, Sheringham had a footballing brain

Not fair at all, they were completely different players. Cole was absolutely lethal and his instincts for a chance and a finish were unreal. Of course Sheringham was more creative but they had very different styles.

I Agree Andy cole was an absolute lethal finisher but he had players around him when he played for us and man united that made him even better..Beardsley,Yorke,Sheringham. He just was not the same level all round player as Teddy was but hey again everything is opinion based. I know who id rather have had partnering Shearer in the mid 90s

Imagine being 3rd all time PL goalscoring charts, being a titan at two of the biggest clubs of the era and yet be told you're not on the same planet as Teddy Sheringham, hilarious.

I come to this forum for geordiedean's hot takes.

Forgive me if I am wrong but I thought the job of a centre forward was to score goals. Lots of them. Now I don't have the stats but I think I'm on pretty solid ground in suggesting that Andrew Cole is probably (if not THE) best goal per game player the Premiership has seen. Sherringham was gifted and a very intelligent footballer. Not an Andy Cole in a million years.

Guest Howaythetoon

Sheringham was a better footballer overall, Cole a better goalscorer. As strikers, forwards or centre-forwards or whatever, they were completely different players though, but as a partnership complimented each other really well.

If I had to choose who I’d want to bring to my club of the two if I could only choose one or the other, it would be Cole every single time. Cole wasn’t just some clinical goalscorer by the way and as much as I regard Sheringham as the better footballer in terms of vision, passing, technique and being someone who could probably partner any type of forward, Cole was a very good footballer himself and when needed could pass, create, show vision and exquisite technique.

Guest Howaythetoon

It’s says a lot about both mind that their ‘bad relationship’ off field never effected their performances on it. Two of the best forwards in the PL era. Loved Sheringham as a footballer myself, him and Shearer in their prime together consistently would have been some pairing. Cole is my boyhood hero though, my first football hero, those were the best days following our club.

I too think that cheese is better than chalk.

They're not chalk & cheese tho, both played as forwards/strikers over the course of their careers. One of whom was significantly better at doing the whole goalscoring malarkey critical to the position. 'Intelligence' / 'Craft' / 'Guile' etc and are vague subjective platitudes often but not always used to prop up lesser talents. The forward position is one that requires the least amount of subjectivity in football. Sheringham, great player as he was & contrary to the belief of some, was a league below Cole despite his apparent footballing 'nous' (which he failed to utilise in putting the ball in the net).

This rant isn't necessarily aimed at you but in in the rough direction of the F365/Zonal Marking reading crowd, I await the Cantona >>> Shearer hot takes next

Guest firetotheworks

I couldn't disagree with that more tbh. You can't just round up every striker out there and judge them solely on goals, doing that you'd end up with Inzaghi over Bergkamp, for example. The only thing they have in common is their position, they had completely different crucial roles.

I couldn't disagree with that more tbh. You can't just round up every striker out there and judge them solely on goals, doing that you'd end up with Inzaghi over Bergkamp, for example. The only thing they have in common is their position, they had completely different crucial roles.

That's fair (& I definitely wouldn't put Pippo anywhere near Bergkamp). I agree context is important, my defence of Cole over Sheringham takes into account everything they offer

Guest firetotheworks

That's fair (& I definitely wouldn't put Pippo anywhere near Bergkamp). I agree context is important, my defence of Cole over Sheringham takes into account everything they offer

That's fair enough like. I wouldn't even know where to begin with having a preference really, I just see them as two really different players.

Even for dean, to say Cole didn’t have a footballing brain is utter fucking hot liquid faecal matter.

His whole game was about reading the game and making the run (or knowing when not too) to find space to score. It doesn’t happen by accident even if his technical skill was probably not at the top level of world stars.

Also, just looked up and Cole finished top assists in 93/94. Not just a goal scorer.

Even for dean, to say Cole didn’t have a footballing brain is utter fucking hot liquid faecal matter.

His whole game was about reading the game and making the run (or knowing when not too) to find space to score. It doesn’t happen by accident even if his technical skill was probably not at the top level of world stars.

Also, just looked up and Cole finished top assists in 93/94. Not just a goal scorer.

I never said Cole didn't have a footballing brain I just stated Sheringham did probably better than most at that era. Your'e reading my comment and assuming i'm saying Cole didn't I never stated that

• 1 year later...

He was such a natural goal scorer for us at the time. I remember his early games for us and he could conjure up a goal from nowhere. I’d be like “we’ll not score from this like” then, bang! Get in. Just a natural talent for finding the net.

I think Cole and Beardsley are still the highest scoring striker partnership in Premier League history.

correct according to this, was surprised Rooney/Ronaldo was nowhere near considering he equalled Shearer's then record one season

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/the-greatest-strike-partnerships-of-the-premier-league-henry-shearer-cole/

yeah that's weird then you could have had rooney & ronaldo for 43 or tevez and ronaldo for 45 07/08 season, they're presumably not counting as wasn't a straight partnership then

Were they not always in a front three?  I cant really remember these days.

I think Cole and Beardsley are still the highest scoring striker partnership in Premier League history.

they are but there was 42 leagues games that season. never be beaten mind. cole was a top striker who was sold because he couldn't play with paul kitson. he won doubles and trebles and we didn't . Fergie was right Keegan was wrong is the uncomfortable truth.